• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El Jefe
    350 Buick
    • Feb 04, 2005

body swap ?

I was wondering if any year wagoneer body will bolt right on to my 76 cherokee frame?
    Alex

76 Cherokee Chief
    350/th400/d20
    d44/14b
    4" lift, 35 inch retreads
  • DougCo
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 23, 2008

Good Question. I am looking at the same thing with my 1978 wagoneer. I can get a 1987 GW very cheap with a great body.
    Anybody know it the bods are all the same???
    doug

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

I think Wag/Chero body mount styles changed a little between Kaiser/AMC but were essentially the same location. I do not recall any differences between AMC/ChryCo rigs except that the trucks do not mate exactly to the Wag/Cheros in the cab location mounts.
      Should be very doable for Alex.
      There are a good deal of electrical differences between '78 and '87, not sure what that would mean for Doug (I know that's not body mounts but just something that will come into play in the swap).
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• DougCo
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 23, 2008

Thanks for the heads up.
        Sorry didn't mean to hijack the post. Just not much info out there on body swaps. I am guessing not many people do them....
        thanks again
        doug

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

There may be a small issue w the transmission hump on the passenger side because of the TH400, TF727 differences, but a 1" or 1/2" body lift can fix it.

some early years have an extra frame mounting post in the mid section driver to passenger area, that was omitted after 77-78

Same issue when mounting newer passenger seat, you need to keep the brackets from the receiving vehicle.
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
          X