• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClarkGriswald
    350 Buick
    • Jul 03, 2000

Jerks!

Ha, Just kiddin folks. Well long story short some may remember me here from the olden times hahahah.. here the compressed version. Been driving a 93 ZJ (grand chero, first year) as a daily. 3 years ago I got it for 800 bucks, put in a 70k motor for 700 bucks and welded in most of the floor of new steel and replaced "everything" suspension links,springs,bushings blah blah. Rebuilt the np242 (which i like for this daily/winter driver) but the #%@& 42re trans finally died last fall. Ive been wanting to put a ax15 in it so its sitting now while ive been driving this free 91 wrangler i have. I have about 200ish into it and 6 months later the front hubs are toast (after a no doubt long life). So here I am all these years later (getting to the point) on the IFSJA saying that I am once again reverting to the good ole 79 wagoneer. I drove to work the other morning with no working alternator/wipers/defrost/dashlights/barely headlights/reving to stay running at a stop .... ... ect.. hahhhah.. a few years back my sis was driving it, and i put close 1500 into it in all mech stuff.. the body is so-so (work in progress), I had rewired all the main power/charge stuff and deleted the ampmeter. so it still needed a new batt and a new alt.. well they never did it and ended up giving me back the jeep. So I just got a new powermaster alternator and a volt gauge, gonna clean out the carb tommorow and see if I can get her back to awesome status. So the point of the post is, after all this time......... I rely on an old wagoneer to save my butt to get to work.. thank god my bro in law had to go travel for work for a few days and im driving his truck hhehe. I took tommorow off (sat) so I can have both days this weekend to make it good (including mouse pee/poo smell and rip out the headliner{mouse universe})

Here is the comic relief part of it .

Tuesday morning, (would be march 15, 2016 {ides of march}) I drive that thing on a death run about 15 miles thru the country in a fog/rain. I pull in, my bro in law opens his window of his truck and says. "Vintage!" and I replied. F! . hahahaa then a co-worker pulls in and parks, gets out and says. "what in the H is that?" hahha I breifly explained and him and a few others said they had never even heard of such a thing.. So at least a bad experience turned into a funny moment (thank god, stress reliever hahah). So, here I am again. Maybe there are a few old time ancient relics from yesteryear that remember the old times when I frequented the forum heheh.. Hi folks!
    88 Rusting mound
    79 Rusting mound
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

welcome back...
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 8man
      304 AMC
      • Jan 04, 2011

Funny story on the responses to driving a 79.
      79 Cherokee S (current project)
      82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Don S
        • Feb 06, 2002

Cool...

Hang around a while!

And have a cool one.. Don S..
        Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
        It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
        ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Millerluck
          360 AMC
          • Sep 08, 2000

Hey bro.

I don't get on here much anymore myself.

Good to see you back.
          88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
          4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
          4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
          http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

• BeerWolf
            230 Tornado
            • Oct 20, 2002

ClarkGriswald.... I pull in, my bro in law opens his window of his truck and says. "Vintage!" and I replied. F! . hahahaa then a co-worker pulls in and parks, gets out and says. "what in the H is that?" hahha I breifly explained and him and a few others said they had never even heard of such a thing....
            When I worked at a Mercedes dealership, I took turns driving My 75 Wag and my 72 VW Baja bug.
            The Boss sometimes asked me to park up front , as people pulled in to ask what they were, or if I wanted to sell them.
            (Uh, no. )
            Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
              350 Buick
              • Jul 03, 2000

Quick update. I threw a new powermaster alt in it yesterday and it charges like the fires of hell itself now, took the carb home and without adjusting anything cleaned it and put it back together. Gonna toss 1 gal of E85 in the tank today while I work on it and later a 6 gal can of gas, also gonna throw on a new fuel filter(fsj type) and a few of those plastic ones before it (I always run one of those before the fuel pump) ill put another after the pump now just incase there is some varnish or crud in there. this wag has a new poly gastank a few years ago so just gonna pretend there is some moisture in it now and suck it up with some ethanol one time.

Ill be driving it to work in the morning. Hopefully I can rig the defrost to work and maybe get some dash lights rocking. I have another dash panel from a jeep i parted years ago and Ive been looking for the heater controls mechanism I saved but havent found it yet in all the mess hahah. I got a feeling it may end up with some kind of MSD ignition soon too just so I dont have to carry spares of that garbage motorcraft box. I dont even attach em to the fender anymore (they are grounded with a wire) that way i can swap em hahhah.. stupid things.

anyway wish me luck (not really im sure ive got the bases covered). (fingers crossed as always hahha)
              88 Rusting mound
              79 Rusting mound

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                350 Buick
                • Sep 04, 2014

Thought about making your own stealth HEI box to replace the crap ignition boxes? So far were having good luck with the stealth HEI.

Whats up with the 42re tranny? How many miles are on it? Whats it doing to make you think its bad?
                2004 Jeep Liberty
                1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
                  350 Buick
                  • Jul 03, 2000

Never heard of the stealth hei, was thinking of maybe a msd and some good ignition work, I dont cant remember if this wag had a index to look at on the balancer hahah Ill have to get in there and poke around I think I may have timed it with a vac gauge last. I may put one of those tapes on the balancer and get myself some good action happening there to help out the situation. I am starting to think about just kind of upgrading what I have now and possibly tearing the 360 out of my old 88 and just stripping it and having the block checked out as a possible rebuild.

Anyway the 42re was something that all I did was put a front and rear seal in. It had a whine like the front pump or something and maybe its got some low pressure happenening too. When it first failed it would stop shifting into 3rd, then would get to just 1st. It would be good in the morning but when it warmed up it would start acting up. I threw the gambit of solenoid/sensors/filter/3-4 accumulator spring at it and it worked for a while, note the spring that was in there was already the upgrade spring (checked it with a mic) and it was broken hehhe. I could tell that I had not been the first person in that trans.

I could redrill the output housing of the ax15 from the 91 wrangler that the front hubs died on to the cheroke clocking, and convert it to ext slave cyl and rebuild it I guess. Just need to keep the wag goin now.

Years ago I bought the espo springs and things rear springs for it. They soon sagged as bad or worse than the stock springs. I believe they went out of business not long after so they are still on there sagging hahha.. maybe a set of 2 inch blocks would just help it out, im driving it now with no rear shocks. Ill be after that next payday im thinkin
                  88 Rusting mound
                  79 Rusting mound

Comment

• mrtazwrench
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Nov 10, 2001

I don't make here much either, been playing carpenter finishing my garage the past 2 years hope to get one of the Jeeps in to work on next winter.
                    Chad
                    "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
                    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
                    88Wag
                    87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                    83Cherokee WT
                    82J20
                    Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• Mike D
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 29, 2002

Dogs bigger than the windows

I used to get plenty of odd looks when driving my 64 Wag with 2 GreatDanes hanging out the windows (one out each side) .... even got pulled over by some woman who wanted to take a few pics.
                      64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                      50 truck
                      63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                      And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• rockosocko
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 20, 2014

I get the looks and thumbs up all the time, but just today taking the kids to SkyZone i had TWO, 2 different people ask if it was a International Scout

IT'S A CHEROKEE I YELLED BACK!!

Doesn't look ANYTHING like a scout..

Comment

Working...
                        X