• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newwagwheeler
    232 I6
    • Aug 31, 2007

stalled, died, will not restart

Please help, my DD is dead. 88 gw with amc 360 sputtered and sputtered on the way home after it got to operating temp. 105 degrees today here in s.e. MM. Then it stalled, a few times and died completely. Will not restart now. I have plenty of gas... in the jeep. Please throw ideas this way. Vapor lock? Maybe... how to cure?
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

my first thought would be

Originally posted by newwagwheeler
    Please help, my DD is dead. 88 gw with amc 360 sputtered and sputtered on the way home after it got to operating temp. 105 degrees today here in s.e. MM. Then it stalled, a few times and died completely. Will not restart now. I have plenty of gas... in the jeep. Please throw ideas this way. Vapor lock? Maybe... how to cure?
    Check for spark/ignition. if you Know you have gas & see it spraying when you pump the accelerator.

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• twmattox
      350 Buick
      • Feb 24, 2003

I am subscribing to this thread. I want to see what others post. I have gotten a lot of advice about an electric fuel pump. And, I have also been told that the electric fuel pump will just mask over the real issue. Just wanting to read more...
      '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
      '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
      '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
      '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

simple

Originally posted by twmattox
        I am subscribing to this thread. I want to see what others post. I have gotten a lot of advice about an electric fuel pump. And, I have also been told that the electric fuel pump will just mask over the real issue. Just wanting to read more...
        The electric fuel pump will resolve hard starting isses IF the rest of your fuel system in in perfect shape it doesn't fix everything. Simple logic No one puts a manual pump on any new vehicle for a reason.
        Aways possible it's vapor lock or other unperfected issues. A little information causes massive speculation. Assuming he has gas at the carb then you could elimnate that issue.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• newwagwheeler
          232 I6
          • Aug 31, 2007

Well the fuel filter was too hot to touch... like burned my hand hot. Put a bit of starting fluid in the carb and she started right up. Moved the filter away from the manifold, so we will see how it works tomorrow.

Comment

• austinaubinoe
            360 AMC
            • Aug 08, 2010

definitely sounds like a fuel pump. You can get a new Carter pump from rockauto for 23 bucks.

Actually just added one to my order, feel like thats could be the next thing to fail...
            Last edited by austinaubinoe; 07-26-2011, 11:07 PM.
            Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
            5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
            SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
            -1994 Baby Grand
            -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
            -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
            -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
            i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
            i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• serehill
              Gone,Never Forgotten.
              • Nov 22, 2009

vapor lock

Well the fuel filter was too hot to touch... like burned my hand hot. Put a bit of starting fluid in the carb and she started right up. Moved the filter away from the manifold, so we will see how it works tomorrow.
              Find a way to either reroute the gas lines away from the exhaust or insulate them. If you can't touch the gas filter that is way to hot.

80 Cherokee
              360 ci 727 with
              Comp cams 270 h
              NP208
              Holley 4180
              Msd total multi spark.
              4" rusty's springs

Comment

• bull4377
                258 I6
                • Mar 09, 2005

I have had a couple wagoneers that vapor locked in the summer no matter what I replaced/did to them. I used to have a red '91 that vapor locked when it was over 90 degrees no matter what. I basically replaced everything and it couldn't be cured. I never put on an electric fuel pump though. The '89 I am driving now never vapor locks. I remember as a kid in 1991 when my mom had a brand new 1991 Grand Wagoneer that it vapor locked on a road trip to Santa Fe in 90ish degree heat on the side of the highway Good times
                2013 Dodge Durango R/T AWD-Hers
                2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins-D.D.
                1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 6" BJ's lift and 33's
                1981 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
                1981 Jeep J-10 Laredo new 401 6" BJs on the way
                1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 401
                1980 Jeep CJ-5 Laredo 304

Comment

• Blacksmith01
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 12, 2011

I know that my wife's cj likes to vapor lock.
                  Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Gunner. Sabot. Sniper. Is not an appropriate use of ammunition.

Noli me tangere! - Old Guard 3rd US INF.

Comment

• serehill
                    Gone,Never Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2009

most of them

Originally posted by bull4377
                    I have had a couple wagoneers that vapor locked in the summer no matter what I replaced/did to them. I used to have a red '91 that vapor locked when it was over 90 degrees no matter what. I basically replaced everything and it couldn't be cured. I never put on an electric fuel pump though. The '89 I am driving now never vapor locks. I remember as a kid in 1991 when my mom had a brand new 1991 Grand Wagoneer that it vapor locked on a road trip to Santa Fe in 90ish degree heat on the side of the highway Good times
                    There's a manufacturers design flaw with the fuel lines running right next to the exhaust. Then people make it worse when the change the filters & get the system even closer. If you re route the lines or insulate them it will help stop. An electric fuel pump can actually help but it is not the misconcieved only solution. I rerouted mine when I put the Edlebrock carb on it. I routed the line back around the fenderwell to the fire wall & across the forewall to the right hand side of the motor. I have no probs.

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs

Comment

• Rich88
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Nov 20, 2008

fuel line insulation

Originally posted by serehill
                      .... If you re route the lines or insulate them it will help stop.
                      Curious what the best insulation method might be. Is there a 5/16 or 3/8 seamed equivalent to the stuff used for copper water pipes?
                      Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                      "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

well you could sleeve rubber hose over them.

Originally posted by Rich88
                        Curious what the best insulation method might be. Is there a 5/16 or 3/8 seamed equivalent to the stuff used for copper water pipes?
                        Wrap them with foil insulation similar to water pipe stuff. Get some exhaust wrap which is most popular I've seen.

I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS USED
                        Last edited by serehill; 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs

Comment

• newwagwheeler
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 31, 2007

Could this be a failing ignition module?

Comment

• newwagwheeler
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 31, 2007

By the way, this problem has just recently developed. I have not made any changes since last summer and it did just fine in the extreme heat.

Comment

• Rich88
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Nov 20, 2008

By the way, this problem has just recently developed. I have not made any changes since last summer and it did just fine in the extreme heat.

Then that's reliable evidence you probably don't have vapor lock.

Need to verify you have spark. Put a timing light on the coil wire and see if it flashes when cranking.
                              Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                              88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                              "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

Working...
                              X