• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zorm
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 1997

starting issues

Alright, I go get the 79 Cheif today. I realize this could be anything, but would like to pick all your gray matter anyway.

So when I went to lok at the Jeep, we tried to start it, owner said it ran strong (360 to th400 to qtrack, has a "racing" two bbl, so the owner states, he bought it for a parts vehicle)
    Anyway, turn the key and nothing, find we have no spark. The PO jumped to the other side of the starter sol and the engine turned over just fine. Now, could the sol be bad to where no voltage comes out on the two little legs, and does one of those give the power for the coil/dizzy?

I got a new sol, taking a small gas can to plumb to the fuel pump so not to pull crap from the tank. Plan on taking the top of he carb off and cleaning out any crap with cleaner. Any other thoughts?

thanks
    83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

Sounds like the ignition switch down at the bottom of the column is mis aligned, disconnected or just bad.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

Zorm

My 79 starts. Send me a pm and I can send pics of how my 79 is wired to confirm yours is the same, Also look at the neutral safety switch on the lower column " wiley-moeracing suggests". make sure it's plugged in. Or maybe bypass with a jumper wire if you want to. . And double check your grounds.

Comment

• Zorm
        304 AMC
        • Apr 08, 1997

Just shot ya the PM, I’m gonna try the ignition switch to.

Comment

• Zorm
          304 AMC
          • Apr 08, 1997

yep, was the ignition switch. she is a little hesitant but turns over now with the key.

Comment

• Zorm
            304 AMC
            • Apr 08, 1997

Ok, the jeep only tried to start once and it sounded like the starter would not disengage. Now I get nothing, not even trying to turn over. Replaced the starter sol, starter and ignition switch (lower on the steering column) Anyone got a wire diagram for a 79, the start ckt?

thanks

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
              350 Buick
              • Aug 19, 2003

Look up the 79 wiring diagram here.

Comment

• Zorm
                304 AMC
                • Apr 08, 1997

OK I need anyone

Comment

• Zorm
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 08, 1997

All right. I looked at the wiring diagram I jumper to the neutral safety switch I turn the key I get the emergency brake light on when I go to start I get nothing. No click no nothing. Yes my next step would be to see where I can wire in a starter push button. I guess I need to find out once I turn the key to run if I

Comment

Originally posted by Zorm
                    All right. I looked at the wiring diagram I jumper to the neutral safety switch I turn the key I get the emergency brake light on when I go to start I get nothing. No click no nothing. Yes my next step would be to see where I can wire in a starter push button. I guess I need to find out once I turn the key to run if I
                    The dreaded apostrophe delete got you. The neutral switch is on the column in TH400 years. Ground the backside of the solenoid. I terminal is ignition power. White or black plastic vacuum advance? Presto-no-lite system which sucks. Otherwise it’s probably a bad ground wire.
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Zorm
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 08, 1997

ended up being my stupid butt. Had the red and blue wires on the sol wrong, duh!!

Comment

ended up being my stupid butt. Had the red and blue wires on the sol wrong, duh!!
                        That will do it.
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Comes from the factory with a helpful rubber bridge that keeps the left-right order straight. Would be easy to mix up without that.
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                          X