• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • posulli88
    258 I6
    • Dec 18, 2016

What is this whine?

Thought it was power steering but happens in a strait line as well. More noticeable in lower gears. Video is of me in 2nd. Any ideas what this would be?

1977 J10 T18, Dana 20, dana 44's with 4.11 gears. I rebuilt the transfer case and had the transmission rebuilt all within 500 miles...

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
    77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC
  • Cliff
    350 Buick
    • Mar 30, 2002

Sounds like power steering and I have heard them whine even when going straight. That's a common noise in 90's era Fords but not so common with Saginaw PS pumps. If so you would hear it at idle with the hood up just gently turning the steering wheel back and forth, with your ear toward the pump.

If not - transfer case would be the next suspect. Does it change in 4WD?
    Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• posulli88
      258 I6
      • Dec 18, 2016

Awesome Thanks Cliff. I will check the power steering tomorrow as you suggested. I thought it was originally that then with it going strait and still whining thought it might be something else. It's a reman pump I installed awhile ago so it could easily be bad.

In regards to the transfer case I am embarrassed to say I have been a little timid/ have not needed to try 4wd yet with the transfer case after I rebuilt it and installed twin sticks on it 500 miles ago. I need to just pull the bandaid off and do it.

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

the best is to remove the belt and do a hearing test... Also when did last you change the PS fluid...

New fluid works wonder, use a turkey baster with an extension hose to remove old fluid, easier than messing with purging the system, you can remove a good 1/3, add new fluid, start engine, run for a min... turn off and repeat
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• J76137
          232 I6
          • Sep 03, 2019

If it was my Jeep I would say it was the wife in the seat next to me. She hates the Jeeps when they are off pavement.
          My carcaine addiction wasted my life but it is a life well wasted.

Comment

• posulli88
            258 I6
            • Dec 18, 2016

I changed the power steering fluid about 400 miles ago when I replaced the pump with a reman. I flushed and purged the system and installed new hoses at the same time. I still have not been out to the jeep to check. We just moved to Denver and are in temp housing in an apartment so working on the jeep is a little more difficult currently.

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by posulli88
              I changed the power steering fluid about 400 miles ago when I replaced the pump with a reman. I flushed and purged the system and installed new hoses at the same time. I still have not been out to the jeep to check. We just moved to Denver and are in temp housing in an apartment so working on the jeep is a little more difficult currently.

Yes it is difficult to work when in a new setting, and with the current restrictions, it all depend on how friendly the manager is... a large piece of cardboard will help to show that you are not messing the place...

Otherwise street work if done rapidly should not attract too much backlash, I have done starter and alternator on the road, back street parking lot or even parts store can be used.
              I painted a whole side in a covered parking lot, very early in the morning.... and yes... the ground was blue after I was done... I had to remove some graffiti done by wild taggers...

Otherwise, the air pump if you have one, this is why I said to remove the belt (s).
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• posulli88
                258 I6
                • Dec 18, 2016

Just went out and checked. No noise when cold just sitting there. But as I turned left and right the pump started to whine. Fluid was at correct level maybe a touch high. A dirty brown green. No aeration happening. Going to pull as much fluid out as possible, add new, cycle from lock to lock, repeat until fluid is cleaner. Hope that solves the issue. If not may replace the pump with a nice new one. No leaks at the steering gear.

Comment

• bufurd
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 13, 2008

Pretty easy to pull the return line, put it in empty container, have buddy start vehical, add fluid while it's running. Put a couple quarts through it, does wonders for noise and if you have hydro boost it firms that up also.
                  Current fleet
                  Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
                  Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
                  Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
                  Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
                  07 JK Wife bought new...
                  13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

Working...
                  X