• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • godaddy
    232 I6
    • Jun 08, 2011

Originally posted by Rich88
    Are you sure its not the belts? Check tightness.

Otherwise the only other source of squeal would have to be the sleeve bearings, and requires disassembly & lube.

They are tight. It didn't squeal until the charging issue was fixed. Once I got a charge the alternator started squealing like a pig.
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - My first Jeep and I love her!

Rebuilt AMC 360 - RV Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake , Holley 600CFM carburetor.
    Rebuilt torqueflight 727
    Currently working on interior with new carpet, cargo panels, new radio and new speakers

Comment

• godaddy
      232 I6
      • Jun 08, 2011

Originally posted by jeeper54
      Had that happen a couple times. On my 85 GW when I reassembled everything I put the alternator plug in upside down. It also fried my ignition module.

PO took a lot of stuff out, ignition module, at least the oem one is gone. Might need to track the wires back to the driver side fender....

Could it be as easy as the key cylinder on the column? Just coincidence that it went out with theses other issues?

Rebuilt AMC 360 - RV Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake , Holley 600CFM carburetor.
      Rebuilt torqueflight 727
      Currently working on interior with new carpet, cargo panels, new radio and new speakers

Comment

• REDONE
        304 AMC
        • Aug 19, 2002

Wait, the ignition module is gone? What makes it fire, an MSD? If so your alternator is producing "feedback" current through the ignition which is enough to power the coil.

I don't have this issue because I switched to a voltmeter I've been told, but the fix is in the MSD instructions. You have to solder in a diode someplace. I have the diode that came with my MSD and the instructions some place. Let me know if you need me to dig them out and stuff em in an envelope for you.
        2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
        79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
        304/T18/D20/D44s
        What's been did:
        Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
        MSD Streetfire based TFI
        Custom-hack gauge cluster
        Razor swap
        Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
        2 knob tape deck!
        3" homebuilt lift
        Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by REDONE
          Wait, the ignition module is gone? What makes it fire, an MSD? If so your alternator is producing "feedback" current through the ignition which is enough to power the coil.

I don't have this issue because I switched to a voltmeter I've been told, but the fix is in the MSD instructions. You have to solder in a diode someplace. I have the diode that came with my MSD and the instructions some place. Let me know if you need me to dig them out and stuff em in an envelope for you.
          X2. If you're running a stock system with an MSD box, you'll most likely need the diode.
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• godaddy
            232 I6
            • Jun 08, 2011

Ok still learning so ignore my ignorance and let me explain what I see. I have an HEI distributor that is powered by one red wire coming from the driver side fender wall that has a relay. I need to go trace this back from the starter relay on the passenger side wall.

I worked late last night and have been in meetings all day, so I am just getting started on tracking down this issue.

The starter relay on the pass side fender wall has 5 prongs and then a connection for hot wire from the battery. Where can you get a replacement for one of those and could that be the issue? I am catching hell trying to find a replacement for that part. I found the 4 prong on BJs and can find 3 and 4 prongs but not one that has 5 prongs. I took pictures and went to napa and they provided a NO-GO. Same with local Vatozone. Anyone have a part number for that piece?

Rebuilt torqueflight 727

Comment

• REDONE
              304 AMC
              • Aug 19, 2002

The normal should be 4 prong. A big one from the battery, a big one to the starter, a little blue one from the (key) ignition (Activates the relay to send juice to the starter solenoid) and a little red w/ black tracer one that bypasses the resistor in a stock ignition set up.

With HEI you can forget about hooking into the starter relay for your ignition. All you need to do is power your HEI from the 10 AWG (guage) RED wire with a WHITE tracer coming out of your firewall connection. Splice your HEI into that sucker and you should be good to go. I don't know what your PO stuck in there for a starter relay, I'm not familiar with any that have 5 terminals and while I might be wrong, I'm pretty sure it's not stock.
              304/T18/D20/D44s
              What's been did:
              MSD Streetfire based TFI
              Razor swap
              2 knob tape deck!
              3" homebuilt lift

Comment

• dan01ster
                232 I6
                • Feb 21, 2012

I believe the 4 post is used on the std transmission vehicles, while the 5 post is used for automatics. My J20 (auto) uses the 5 post...there's a small male pushon plug on the bottom side of the solenoid.
                I recently purchased one from NAPA under the "Echlin" brand name for $37 cdn.
                The model number on my receipt is ST83.
                Hope that helps. The p/n may be different in the USA.
                '82 J20, 360,TF727, NP 208, Holly Projection.'74 paint scheme
                '67 Jeepster 8701,true convertible,TH400,pwr top,
                Buick 225.
                '98 XJ, 4.0L,auto, Selectrac, police package

Comment

• dan01ster
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 21, 2012

Here's something else I just found ...

If I were to replace my 12 volt coil with an ic14sp do I just bypass the resistor? Can I just solder that wire at that point and forget it? Exactly what have I to gain other than eliminating the resistor? Im not a doubter, just want to know.
                  Buick 225.

Comment

• REDONE
                    304 AMC
                    • Aug 19, 2002

That might make sense. Do you guys with newer trucks have a relay that looks like a metal box with all the terminals coming out of what would be the lid? (Dodge style) or is the plastic can style? I've still never seen a 5 terminal. Even the dodge style has 4, a big post that hooks to both the battery and the starter, a "hot-in-start" terminal that activates the starter solenoid, a 12v in from the key and a neutral safety that must be grounded in order to operate. I went through every relay in the Napa catalog just now and couldn't find a 5 terminal in either style which explains the OPs experience at the parts stores...
                    304/T18/D20/D44s
                    What's been did:
                    MSD Streetfire based TFI
                    Razor swap
                    2 knob tape deck!
                    3" homebuilt lift

Comment

• dan01ster
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 21, 2012

It's interesting how sometimes the automotive world and aviation world cross paths along the way. Here is part of a post from an aviation forum.
                      They even talk about AMC.

On Oct 28, 2:30 pm, rich wrote:
                      My homebuilt's master contactor is going bad. Sometimes when I turn it
                      on it doesn't make connection. It's got 1700 hours on it, so I'd just
                      as soon replace it. But the way the builder wired it, he's has
                      positive power from the battery going through the master switch to the
                      small terminal on the contactor. (cole-Hersey type) But the master
                      contactors, such as Spruce sells, are set up to actuate with ground
                      power going to the small terminal. They also have plastic around their
                      mounting feet so their case doesn't make ground. A starter contactor
                      would work perfectly with the way the plane is wired. I just wonder,
                      are starter contactors made to withstand continous use, like a master
                      contactor does? And how can one tell the difference in the two, they
                      look identical? And if not, can the master/continuous duty type be
                      made to work with postitive power to the small terminal?

The builder wired that contactor to make it safe. If you have
                      it set up so that battery power feeds though the cabin to the master
                      switch, you have a fire point since there will be no fuse in that line
                      from the battery. A fuse can fail with age and let you down. Cessna
                      uses the hot-terminal idea, and grounds the contactor's other terminal
                      through the master so that there's at least some resistance in the
                      line, limiting the current.

A master contactor is a continuous-duty solenoid. A starter
                      contactor is an intermittent-duty solenoid, and usually has its coil
                      wired internally to ground so that it wouldn't work as a hot-terminal
                      master anyway.

Dan
                      Gotta be careful of the "usually"
                      The definitive test is coil resistance. Most starter solenoids are
                      around less than16 ohms. There are quire a few insulated base 4
                      terminal "starter" solenoids. Echlin/Napa ST41, ST56, ST67, ST71,
                      ST73, ST75, ST77, ST83, ST94, ST96, for starters. Mostly used in Mopar
                      and AMC applications.

The St56 is 3 terminal unit designed for "ground enable" apps

Most constant duty solenoids run 16-30 ohms - and there are a fair
                      number of THEM with gounded bases.(st35, ST87, ST97

The 4 terminal constant duty units a ST36, ST80, ST85,

The large ST35 and ST36 are the only continuous duty units rated at
                      14-16 ohms. All the smaller ones are 16-25 ohms.

The ST80 and ST85 are the common ones - the 85 differeing from the 80
                      only in having copper contacts (much to be preferred)
                      Buick 225.

Comment

• godaddy
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 08, 2011

Give me an hour or so....

I am going to take pictures in a short while. Going for a ride in my girl. I do have an automatic tranny.

When I key the ignition off it shuts all electrical stuff off. Also I tried shutting the waggy down by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and it kept running. I had to disconnect the power supply to the HEI at the relay on the driver side.

Pictures to follow....

Rebuilt torqueflight 727

Comment

• dan01ster
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 21, 2012

Shoot Redone...I just dropped off the "J" at the shop a couple of hours ago to have them replace my rear main seal and some other stuff....so I can't run out and have a good look at it.
                          Looking at my receipt and I see it was 2 yrs ago that I bought the current unit...so memory is a bit vague.
                          I'm gonna have to see if I can find a pic somewhere before I spout off here ...but it does have 5 posts. Lemme see what I can find.
                          Buick 225.

Comment

• dan01ster
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 21, 2012

LOL...so here is another post from a mopar site courtesy of our pals Google.

"Yes , Echlin ST-83 from NAPA . This is a Jeep relay that looks like a Ford,except that it has an extra terminal for the neutral safety switch. I put a strap across the starter terminals, then just ran one wire from the ST-83 to the starter. This way the starter wire is only hot when cranking, and you only have one wire going to the starter. I used a rubberized clamp on one of the bell housing bolts to neatly hold the starter wire. Works great."

So it looks like my auto truck has the 5th terminal for the neutral saftey switch...and I'm guessing the standard Ford is a 4 post.

Still looking for a pic though.
                            Buick 225.

Comment

• dan01ster
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 21, 2012

OK...here it is...a good post from JEEPForum.com and there is a photo of the unit from top side. the small 5th post would be on the bottom side (below the silver top cap in pic).

So...yup, that's what they're talking about... the same one I have... Echlin ST-83 AND I bought it at my local NAPA store.
                              Last edited by dan01ster; 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM.
                              Buick 225.

Comment

• REDONE
                                304 AMC
                                • Aug 19, 2002

I found it !!!!!

Here's a direct link incase the img code is dead.
                                Last edited by REDONE; 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM.
                                304/T18/D20/D44s
                                What's been did:
                                MSD Streetfire based TFI
                                Razor swap
                                2 knob tape deck!
                                3" homebuilt lift

Comment