International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 PM
232 I6

Question blowing fuses to battery grrrrr

for 'some reason' my '87 keeps blowing fuses when I attempt to start it. Its blowing a 30amp fuse inline to the battery ( don't know if thats stock or not as the previous owner had changed updated some things ( HEI ignition,carb, intake). I had someone look under the jeep for me and thought that the wire off the battery was shorting it out...touching something down by the starter. He couldn't get the cable off (seems to be the negative one) b/c the bolt is rusted) but adjusted something so it wouldn't be making contact(?).

It ran couple times, then did it again, he came back out, didn't do much and it ran fine for 2 weeks. Now, it did it again...as soon as I turn the key to the 'on' position, not even starting it yet! I get up under there and don't see the cable end 'touching' anything it shouldn't....even using a screwdriver to pry it away from anything else. I'm stumped, any ideas as to why these fuses are blowing from what I've described? I hate electrical stuff....always been intimidated by it all.

ps the only way I can see how to remove this negative ( cuz its black) cable from the starter is to remove the starter itself to work on that cable on the work bench
Old 02-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Banned

The black wire -thick gauge is a positive feed to energize the starter when you turn the key to the "start" position. It is not a ground wire!

The starter is grounded through the bellhousing/engine block which is grounded through a cable bridging one motor mount, and also there should be a thick gauge cable from the battery negative post to the front of the engine block, and a shorter cable going to the body's core support.

Sounds like the PO of your Jeep was a DSPO.

Electrics intimidates you? Well time to take the bull by the horns, learn some electrical theory, get a volt meter, a wiring diagram, and take control of your Jeep.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM
1st Chair, Cowbell

I don't know exactly how many amps a starter draws, but I know it's way north of 30 amps. 100 or more?

Can you take a picture or draw how and where this inline fuse is located? There was no inline fuse on a stock system, so I can't think of how this would be wired and to what exactly. This is a custom PO job and you're kinda on your own.

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

HMM interesting

Fist things first If like you say it blows the fuse by just turning you key on it isn't the starter. Remember wires don't know what color they are. That wire going to the starter is positive. The ground strap going the frame from the motor mount has nothing to do with it either. If you're blowing a fuses just turning your key on then something is really not good. It does sound like a short or loose connection in the relay to solenoid wiring. Where is this fuse & what is it connected to? What goes out when the fuse blows?

Some pictures & a few questions ill work through it.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 02-09-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM
232 I6

Update

Well we thought it was the starter after having somebody who can use a multimeter a lot better than I diagnosed and then the same problem happened again!!! Grrrr. Turned out after all it was just a wire near the brake pedal that was shorting out against the firewall. Grrrrr but I'm overjoyed more though now that my jeep is usable again!