• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Am I a snob?

Let me start off by saying, I have nothing against JKs, JKUs, XJs, TJs, LJs, JLs, WJs, CJs, etc. etc. etc. I like them, would drive them, consider them Jeeps however you want to define "Jeep". I am not too proud to Jeep wave first, even though my truck is almost always older and honestly, I will always wave back at the less "Jeep" jeeps out there like Renegade, Liberty, and Patriot.

On my way to work today (driving my Cherokee), I crossed paths with at least 5 different Jeeps (not counting Liberty's, Patriot's, Renegades, etc.) in the ~17 mile/25 minute drive. Not a single one, Jeep waved back. Inside my pretty narrow mind this thought crosses "You little brat. Don't you realize, my rig is just as Jeep as your ______?!?" (the blank is where I listed JK, XJ, etc. not a cuss word).

Then my thoughts start to digress quickly: "You have more money in your stupid tube fenders, and LEDs than you have in your stock open axles." or "Wow! That's a good lookin' $1500 bumper! It must be all worth that money because there isn't a scratch on it so obviously all that money must have paid for some AWESOME coatings that don't scratch when you off road!"

In all honesty, if I heard someone else say those words out loud, I would consider them snobby, snooty, or generally unpleasant. Then again, when you see a rig with ginormous tires and TONS of offroad goodies (like a nice winch, bright red high lift jack mounted in a VERY conspicuous place, extra gas tanks, LEDs all over the place, and the like) on a SPOTLESS (both on and under) rig, it seems pretty shallow to me.

Does that make me a snob? You guys have these thoughts too? I get more waves from guys in older Blazers, Broncos, and Land Cruisers than I get from the Wrangler/CJ guys...
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Nope. Just keep waving and that will increase their chances of eventually waving back in the future to someone else. And all those well equipped and over built jeeps you see now are only as good as their drivers. Put them in the little sluice on the rubicon and see how they roll (SIC). How does that saying go? All the money in the world will not make up for lack of common sense.
    And scratches and or dents speak for themselves. Just keep waving.
    It's the right thing to do.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Nah, but I agree 95% of the new stuff I see like you described (all decked out), will never see anything but pavement.

There's a new last year(JK) where one of my daughter's goes to school. Anything/everything can add to one. Asked the guy how it wheels, and he's like what? wheels?
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

I used to think the newer Jeeps, Wranglers and up, should greet me in my CJ first since I had a cooler vehicle. My user name on that big forum whose name escapes me since I rarely go there is CJ Snob.

I have come to the conclusion that that attitude is rather...snobbish so I now wave at them whether they acknowledge it or not.

Actually I signed up with that forum long after my attitude changed but I liked the name.

The original "real" Jeepers wave the others who just drive them because they like them don't and that's fine.

I do draw the line at H4's I mean JK's, Jeep SUV's are SUV's with the exception of SJ's, of course.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• johnsonic
          258 I6
          • Mar 12, 2015

I got my 1st FSJ in 1999 and the Jeep wave was definitely a thing (coincidentally, a different '84 gold GW - which is the same kind I have now!).

Only time I get a wave now is when passing another GW, and that's more of a full-on freakout than a wave!

Maybe Jeep has gotten so mainstream / soccer mom in the last 20 years that the wave is dying out.
          1984 GW
          Comp 260H
          Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
          Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
          Performer Intake
          Holley SA 670
          MSD 8523
          Dakota Digital custom cluster
          Serehill headlamp harness
          NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
          ...but the parts live on

Comment

• silverfoote
            230 Tornado
            • Mar 07, 2018

I am guilty of having purchased an FSJ (and researched a little beforehand), and only since getting on the forums did I discover that the "Jeep wave" is a thing.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Haha! I had heard of the Jeep wave before my FSJ but never had a Jeep so I never really "got it". I have a buddy that has had a few CJs and now a NT Cherokee and he says it started as a CJ to CJ thing and when the Wranglers came out, they were shunned (excluded from the Jeep wave). If you google "Jeep Wave" you'll see the "rules". I don't really care about the rules, to me a Jeep is a Jeep (including the reject Jeeps like Renegade and CheroFiats). The aircooled VW guys have a similar wave and some rules.

But I do think if you get waved to, you should ALWAYS wave back.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• xabn82
                232 I6
                • Jan 01, 2016

In 1981 my Dad bought a 1977 CJ7. We live in Chattanooga so when we would drive around and my Dad would get and give the Jeep wave. At first I asked my Dad "Do you know that person?" He would respond "It's a Jeep think son." Back then the only things running around were CJ and FSJ. I've owned a 1986 CJ and would wave but I'm like most today, don't consider a Compass, Liberty or Renagade a Jeep. Just an SUV made by Jeep. I don't think a lot of people even realize that Jeep actually made a full size truck unless they get behind you and they see "JEEP" on the tailgate. I'm at a loss also when it comes to new Jeeps. I'd love to have a new Rubicon but couldn't see spending 50K on one and dragging it through some of theses Tennessee woods. I'd buy a YJ and rip it up for that.
                1973 J4000

Comment

• ZackN920
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 18, 2015

Why even bother with the so called Jeep wave? Nobody seems to know about it or care anymore. Especially the damn yuppie types that get these modern jeeps. I ain't waving unless I know you or you wave first, and then I'm thinkin to myself, "Who the is that, and why the are they waving to me?" No one waves at me when I'm in the XJ or my dad's WJ, unless they know and recognize me. I know of a few people though(never met) that do (repeatedly) wave when I'm in the Wagon. I think they just like seeing it and appreciate it. I nod and wave back to them.

Oh and that's another thing. The damn people that get the dealership modified (built) jeep's that look like they can off-road anywhere, but don't. To me, they buy them as a statement to say "look at me, I have money, I'm better than you". That's good... To bad you probably can't drive a real jeep that isn't modded and doesn't have all those electronic goodies (and TRACTION CONTROL) to make you seem like a good offroad driver if you were to actually take it off road. They go to drive one that is all mechanical and would most likely manage to get it stuck fast. I also wonder if some of these types are just having there mid life crisis or even trying to compensate for some shortcoming... Or is it just for the "flash". Lot of wasted money for that, and unimpressive as well.

......sorry for the rant......
                  1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                  Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                  ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• ZackN920
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 18, 2015

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                    But I do think if you get waved to, you should ALWAYS wave back.
                    I do know some people that pay absolutly no attention to occupants in other car's while driving. SO, they dont even notice you waved at them. Not that big of deal to me.
                    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

I am kind of oblivious quite a bit when out and about around here. I hardly ever notice a friend out on the road. I do notice other FSJs and will wave but most other Jeeps are kind of over looked and they are everywhere. I get most my waves on the county road I live on here in rural SW Colorado. When I see them wave, I wave back. Most of them are neighbors and service people working the area including UPS and FedEx drivers. Waving is not just a Jeep thing.
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by ZackN920
                        I do know some people that pay absolutly no attention to occupants in other car's while driving. SO, they dont even notice you waved at them. Not that big of deal to me.
                        Ok, fair statement. I'll take that.

My wife says I am ridiculous at how much I look around at other cars when I drive. Always looking for cool rides, funny stickers, reading license plates, laughing at ghetto mods, etc.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ShagWagon
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 10, 2016

My Jeep is the coolest one I've ever seen and it's paid for.

Everyone else is just jealous.
                          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• FSJunkie
                            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                            • Jan 09, 2011

Keep in mind that most people driving a Jeep less than 20 years old are just driving it because it's a car that fits their needs. They don't have brand loyalty or loyalty to other owners of that brand. It is just a car to them like any other car of any other brand name.

Most people are not us.

Also depends on region. Drivers don't wave much at each other in the southwest where I grew up, but I noticed a lot of drivers in the Midwest and plains states waving at each other regardless of the vehicle they each drove.
                            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Curly5759
                              232 I6
                              • Mar 08, 2015

Most people today have no idea what a FSJ is. I don't care if they wave or not. Yesterday a newer Cherokee (one of the little fiat rip-offs) waved at me. I thought, cool!, they recognized my FSJ Cherokee. Then I looked in the mirror, a TJ was behind me. I think they were waving at them!
                              77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

Working...
                              X