• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnsonic
    258 I6
    • Mar 12, 2015

Oregon Special Interest Plates

Hey all!

Doing some research into getting special interest plates, would be nice to not have to worry about the DEQ this year, and pretty sure it's a lifetime plate.

Was wondering if anyone has any info on the following:
    - They don't check the odometer, but anyone have stories about getting hassled for driving it around town often?
    - On the application it reads "It has been sanctioned by an established organization as a vehicle of special interest." Anyone know where I can find these "established organizations"?

Any info would be awesome!
    Thanks!
    1984 GW
    Comp 260H
    Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
    Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
    Performer Intake
    Holley SA 670
    MSD 8523
    Dakota Digital custom cluster
    Serehill headlamp harness
    NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
    ...but the parts live on
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

Can you get a Coos Bay PO box and register there?
    No emissions here
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• 72jeeperjoe
      232 I6
      • Nov 08, 2016

I asked about those plates last time I was at the dmv in dallas where I live (Oregon not Texas) and there response was the plates are for parades and exhibition runs, if a police officer pulls you over and deems that you are just ?pleasure? driving that he will pull your plates and give you a hefty ticket. Personally just move out of a city with deq haha! I?ve never dealt with it and never plan on it haha
      1983 Jeep Wagoneer-322,000 miles.
      1972 Jeep Wagoneer-360-auto-sold
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-One owner-64,000 original miles-Sold unfortunately
      1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
      1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

What is DEQ?
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Have you talked to the OR DMV/DOL? The people that issue them will have all the info you need.
          I've never heard of "special interest" plates. In some states historic, vintage or collector car plates etc have usage restrictions like only to car shows/meets, for parades use etc. Oh as mentioned earlier what's the DEQ?
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• johnsonic
            258 I6
            • Mar 12, 2015

Thanks for the replies!

It's Portland, OR...

On the application it says "If certifying this vehicle to be an antique vehicle or special interest vehicle that is not a racing activity vehicle, I certify this vehicle is to be maintained as a collector?s item and used only for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar functions. I understand it is a crime to operate this vehicle outside of the limitations of the registration provisions as specified in ORS 805.030. Such a crime is a Class D traffic violation and may result in this registration being canceled."

Didn't know if anyone had experience with how picky they were around enforcing this.

Will call DMV next, just didn't know if anyone in the area knew off-hand.

~j
            1984 GW
            Comp 260H
            Performer Intake
            Holley SA 670
            MSD 8523
            NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
            ...but the parts live on

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

DEQ is Portland? I thought Portland was PDX...
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• johnsonic
                258 I6
                • Mar 12, 2015

"DEQ is Portland? I thought Portland was PDX..."

Sorry about that - Department of Environmental Quality in Portland.

Only the big population centers need to pass the sniffer in Oregon.
                1984 GW
                Comp 260H
                Performer Intake
                Holley SA 670
                MSD 8523
                NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
                ...but the parts live on

Comment

• acct21
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 20, 2014

On the application it says "If certifying this vehicle to be an antique vehicle or special interest vehicle that is not a racing activity vehicle, I certify this vehicle is to be maintained as a collector?s item and used only for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar functions. I understand it is a crime to operate this vehicle outside of the limitations of the registration provisions as specified in ORS 805.030. Such a crime is a Class D traffic violation and may result in this registration being canceled."
                  Texas has very similar wording in their rules for "Antique" plates.

They will absolutely pull you over if they suspect you are using the vehicle for any other reason. Convictions have been historically difficult to make stick, but the hassle is real...
                  1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• ShagWagon
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 10, 2016

It's about 3 or 4 dollars a month for a PO box last I checked in Newport or Tillamook. Tell them you have an office there and use it for work.

Probably worth it vs emission testing and all the expenses involved in that game.
                    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• deckside
                      258 I6
                      • May 02, 2015

Originally posted by johnsonic
                      "DEQ is Portland? I thought Portland was PDX..."

Sorry about that - Department of Environmental Quality in Portland.

Only the big population centers need to pass the sniffer in Oregon.
                      Fun Oregon fact: you and your rig don't have to have the same address.
                      1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
                      1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring

Comment

• johnsonic
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 12, 2015

Thanks for all the help guys!
                        1984 GW
                        Comp 260H
                        Performer Intake
                        Holley SA 670
                        MSD 8523
                        NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
                        ...but the parts live on

Comment

• 440sixpack
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jul 21, 2016

I have SI plates on all 4 of my collector vehicles. the other nice thing is you can use the correct vintage plate too, if it was ever used in OR you can use it. I love it, $100 one time and forget it.

If you use your rig all the time you're probably going to get nailed. it supposed to be only for parades, car shows or " car club functions " . I'm always on my way to meet with club members if I get checked. which I never have.

I plan to run regular plates on my J10 when it's done because I plan to use it more than my cars.

Comment

• JoggerFogger
                            232 I6
                            • Jul 31, 2017

I plan on doing this as well. BTW, in the past, I've just put in a county that doesn't require DEQ testing in the "county of use" question on the application. Just because you live in Portland doesn't mean that you can't keep your Jeep in a garage in Enterprise, OR. Or that's where you go with it only. I did this 18 years ago, so my experience might be aged.

Also, vehicles older that 1975 don't have to pass.

I also talked with my buddy that has 6-7 special interest cars, and you just have to have your story straight if you get pulled over. He's done it for 20 years and never even been pulled over.
                            - I'm on my way to have it serviced. (I just happen to service it at my work).
                            - I'm going to a Jeep show.
                            - I'm on my way to get fuel for my Jeep.

If you drive like a normal person you probably won't ever be pulled over. But if you plan on driving it every day to work, then I would suggest just putting in Tillamook, Clatsop, Columbia, Yamhill, or any of the 32 other counties that don't require DEQ. If you're nervous about that, go and register it in a DMV located in the county you're going to claim. The people there are more accustomed to NOT requiring a DEQ test, so they probably won't even blink.

-Kevin
                            1972 Wagoneer > Isuzu 4BD1t > 4L80E > D300 > D44
                            www.civilrock.com/72-Wagoneer

Comment

The bite for antique plates is it has to be over 1/2 the number of years between 1900 and present, ie. for 2018 it would have to be 59 years old or older.
                              Art
                              ASE Master Collision Tech
                              "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

Working...
                              X