• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodrow
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 25, 2005

Skid plate bolts

while removing my skid plate despite pb blaster for a few days and heat I broke the bolts that attach the skid plate to the frame, then i broke the extractor in the bolt. I see the nuts are welded to the frame. I had my frame repaired in that area years ago and i don't know if that is how it was originally or improvised by my frame repair guy. I see an aftermarket site that sells the nuts and bolts but don't know how its possible to hold them with a wrench. Do i need to weld new ones on, ( don't own a welder cuz i dont weld ).
    is an epoxy an acceptable alternate or might I brake the epoxy loose while tightening

I am planning on cutting the nuts off the frame with a cutting wheel
  • fsj454
    Long time member
    • Jan 02, 2015

7 nuts and bolts 2 self tappers

On 1990 GW 9 in total to drop tank . Mark and disconnect all hoses at tank
    1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

I don't think epoxy would hold in the long run, but for just getting it back together... Hmm. Should work just for that if you let it cure and get it to adhere well. If it ever needs to come back out again, whoever that has that job will be cussin' out the last one who was in there... lol

When I put mine back together after fabbing that frame rail I didn't know how factory had done it. My frame had nothing left down there. All rusted away. I didn't think about welding nuts to the frame. What I did was that I went to menards (local hardware store) and got "U-Nuts" and put them on the frame.
      Something like this:

They allowed me some play when I put the tank back on and kept the nut from spinning (since it's a U shaped piece of metal ).

Now, I don't know how long these will last either, but should be better than epoxy.
      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• woodrow
        230 Tornado
        • Dec 25, 2005

Yeah, i considered those too. I didnt know if they could take a lot of torque without stripping. Thats probably the easiest. I was only using the epoxy to hold the nuts in place on the inside of the frame rail, then i thought once i tighten it , the nut would grab the frame. But if i have to remove and the epoxy breaks it will all just spin. U bolts are less risky

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Look up a product called Riv-nut or rivet nut, I think this could help. It works like a rivet, but has threads that you can then put your bolt in, good luck.
          1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
          Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

Video of how it works.
            1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
            Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Drill them out and run a tap through them.
              Easy and no welder or special tools required.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                Drill them out and run a tap through them.
                Easy and no welder or special tools required.
                Yep. A tap is cheaper than all the rest of those workarounds. Plus, that nut/bolt combo is used all over our rigs and you will get alot of use out of that tap. Take your time drilling it so you don't drill it crooked or off center.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

Since he broke an extractor off in it I don't think he's going to be drilling that out.
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• woodrow
                    230 Tornado
                    • Dec 25, 2005

Yeah, the broken extractor was an issue. I cut the welded nuts off of the frame. I think i will try the u nuts that clip on. My concern is leaving the gap between the skid plate and the frame, my catch alot of grime. Maybe its not a problem

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

Could run a bead of goo down the frame when you bolt it up if you're worried about it.
                      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• threepiece
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 17, 2005

You could make a special nut from a piece of steel bar. The bar should be at least as thick as the diameter of the screw that going through it.

The special nut should be about as long as the flange on the frame, about two inches. Drill and tap the hole near the end of the bar.

When tightening or loosening, the nut will rotate so far as to hit the web of the frame. You could temporarily secure the nut in place with tape or glue for installation.
                        FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                        We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                        We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                        Resistance is not futile yet.
                        Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

Working...
                        X