International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 12-11-2003, 08:13 AM
360 AMC

ouch! low blow!!!

that is intersting though, my 401 made it 28 years and 120k miles from the factory

oooh! counters with the hook
Old 12-11-2003, 08:37 AM
Gear Head

WOW!! Just under 4300 miles per year! I've had mowers go longer than that! [img]tongue.gif[/img] If you are ok with 1 100k+/- mile motor that's great. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I like the idea of 200k+ . I've had 3 bb Mopar rigs that were in or above that neighborhood that were still going strong when I sold them. Plus, they don't leak like the AMC, they don't have that timing cover that was designed by a MORON, there are more parts available (not a whole lot but a few), And oh yeah, THEY MAKE MORE POWER!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Cowboy Up

The only reliability issues I've had with my 401s were a GM nuetral safety switch, Ford ignition, Ford carb and a couple of reman crappola parts.
There then that, ZERO trouble. Sounds like people have trouble with the GM ignition switch too.
Ain't no other block out there with as much nickle in them, very few big blocks come with even a forged crank.
The old "reliable" thing keeps coming up. If you can't keep a simple ol Jeep running... good luck with anything else. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Cowboy Up

I was just reading (not imagining) how the AMC Matador Interceptor 401 spanked Mopar and that's why all the cops wanted 'em. Funny that reliability didn't come up then, you'd think Cops would have an issue with that.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 AM
360 AMC

first of all I was born a Mopar fan because my Dad decreed it - you'll get no argument here
secondly my first comment was meant to be tongue in cheek
third - i can't vouch for original owner's maintenance policies but after talking to him i don't think he knew what maintenance is
fourth - it would be pretty cool if everyone spent as much time buiding up AMC's as they did tearing them down - verbally and physically
fifth - to each and all his own
and last but not least - AMC RULES
Old 12-11-2003, 08:49 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

yes AMC rules
"We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"
Old 12-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Gear Head

If your jeep has an AMC V8 in it you need luck to keep it running, if you have something that was designed properly luck never enters the equation. [img]tongue.gif[/img] As for the nickle content of the AMC blocks...just because you build something with good material doesn't mean you designed it well. Oh and Mopar and Chevy both used forged cranks in a bunch of big blocks. More 440's were made with forged cranks than cast, and all 383's from 69 down were.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:53 AM
360 AMC

well if AMC sucks so bad pull the 401 out of your 78 and send it to me - I wouldn't want you to walk around being a contradiction and all
Old 12-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by John V:
If your jeep has an AMC V8 in it you need luck to keep it running, if you have something that was designed properly luck never enters the equation. [img]tongue.gif[/img] As for the nickle content of the AMC blocks...just because you build something with good material doesn't mean you designed it well. Oh and Mopar and Chevy both used forged cranks in a bunch of big blocks. More 440's were made with forged cranks than cast, and all 383's from 69 down were.
Didn't design it well? Don't 440s need oiling mods to hold up under competition or was I dreaming that I read that on a Mopar site?
Funny that when the Viper came along it was the 401 they were thinking of putting in there not the 440.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Are we done yet? Hey John where you been, havent seen you in a long time, hope everything is going good for you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
#1881 just for the record.
FSJeepless for a short time.
Need a J10 tho.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Cowboy Up

He's been trying to get his 440 running
You can bet it'll put out the torque once it fires though!

[ December 11, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]
Old 12-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by RogueStar:
well if AMC sucks so bad pull the 401 out of your 78 and send it to me - I wouldn't want you to walk around being a contradiction and all
It IS coming out and sorry it is already spoken for.
Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
Didn't design it well? Don't 440s need oiling mods to hold up under competition or was I dreaming that I read that on a Mopar site?
Funny that when the Viper came along it was the 401 they were thinking of putting in there not the 440.[/QB]
The 440 is not perfect and I would never presume to say it is. As I recall the AMC motors need a similar mod for any serious use, no?

Quote:
I was just reading (not imagining) how the AMC Matador Interceptor 401 spanked Mopar and that's why all the cops wanted 'em. Funny that reliability didn't come up then, you'd think Cops would have an issue with that.
Out of curiosity what year was that? As for reliability, cops don't keep a rig around long enough to really find out how reliable a rig is.

Quote:
first of all I was born a Mopar fan because my Dad decreed it - you'll get no argument here
secondly my first comment was meant to be tongue in cheek
1st Groovy
2nd Almost everything I say is meant to be tongue in cheek!

[ December 11, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: John V ]
Old 12-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Gates:
Are we done yet? Hey John where you been, havent seen you in a long time, hope everything is going good for you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
MARV! Been busy fending off the big block haters!

Quote:
He's been trying to get his 440 running
You can bet it'll put out the torque once it fires though!
Nope, just trying to shoehorn the pig under a hood designed for a 4 banger [img]tongue.gif[/img] And yes it will put out the torque!

[ December 11, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: John V ]
Old 12-11-2003, 09:19 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
2nd Almost everything I say is meant to be tongue in cheek!
yea me too 99% of the time - doesn't always come out that way though

well if you're 401 deal falls through that was my 1% of the time - LOL
Old 12-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
Pete,
You definately misquoted me, that was Bryan's comment about GM and maybe you copied it out of somewhere I quoted him later, but thems not my words. Here is his statement from page 6 (no confusion here):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bryan:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan:
Jesus H Christ on a frickin popsicle stick, enough already!! the 401 is agreat motor-no doubt. So is the 500 CI caddy. To each their own. If either of you want to race, I'll put my 1974 258 1bbl against either of you, and smoke you both (literally, the cloud is impenatrable). for gods sake put it to rest [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE

Just for the record, I hate anything GM has ever created, but to try to compare a stock 401 against a stock 500 CI (or stock 454, 496, or 502) GM is just stupid. Torque moves our giant turds we call FSJ's and the 401 (stock) falls behind any of the big 3 big blocks. If you want to talk about building a 401 then lets talk about building any of the big 3 big blocks. Dollar for dollar your done. Period. End of Discussion.

Not trying to argue with anyone, and I love my J10 with the 258 I6, I dont think any of the big 3 ever built anything that will touch my jeep as far as off road capability. Just "encouraging" everyone to put bias aside think rationally.
Then, here's a quote from you (page 1) making the comparison you must have forgot:
Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
Still though 41 Cubes differance.....even at a Horse a Cube. If the 401 was rated being overly conservative then why not the 360 of the same year? At any rate, .085 larger bore and .24 in stroke does not equate to big power gains in my book, since everything else is the same on these motors in the stock form, there is no secret power elsewhere. Seat of the pants horse power and actual real horse power sometimes are two very different things, and hard to tell apart. To be safe I am going 140 cubes over the 360 so I do not get fooled. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
</font>
Sorry for the misquote but if you read it it looks as though you wrote it, since you did not use the quote option.

No Elliot that was not me comparing the 500 to anything at all. It was me just mentioning that I was going 140 cubes bigger than the 360. I never said anything about doing it for performance reasons or the such. I do not like AMC, never have never will. I do not down on anyone because they like AMC, I even have freinds that love the 258 even, and drive Fords and other nonJeep things, my wife drives a mini van, just thankfull its a GM!!! I put a lot of time and research as well as $$$$ into my Caddy Swap. This was not OH SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN and jump in. I test drove and purchased a 70 Eldorado Power was great, decided against parting the 70 because it was to nice of a car. I then purchased a 76 Eldorado nonrunning. I wanted it becasue it had the rare late 552 casting heads (Non Smog) and E-Brake Calipers on the rear, and Hydroboost unit. I then purchased a 76 Deville, and a 75 Eldorado, along with 2 472's. The other thing is my 76 500 is not stock never was going to be. With that being said 190 HP 500 in my Cherokee would not apply. Though I have to wonder since the fellow I bought the Deville from had to show me what it could do, lit em up on the street in front of his shop as I watched from the driveway. I was impressed as was the City Cop. That cost him $60.00 I think. On my way home I decide to pull out on the highway like I was going to a fire..........Only to get stopped 1/4 mile down the road and get a good lecture on several laws I broke. I am not a human Dyno so I have no idea what the 70 and the 76 put out, I just know the torque was there. The other thing thats there is CUBIC INCHES. You can do lots with big, you have to do more with small. No matter what I will have the LOW OFF IDLE Torque I want, thats what I am after nothing more. This truck will not be raced, if I wanted to race something it would not be the Cherokee. I would not mind getting my hands on a nice 70-72 Monte Carlo though..........Since I have several extra 190 HP 500's [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 09:21 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Are we done yet?
heck no !!! i think we're going for the record !!!
remember the little nifty blue trailer?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Are we done yet?
</font>[/quote]I was kinda thinkin the Dual Exaughst thing
Old 12-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Are we done yet?
</font>[/quote]Now why did you have to go and bring that up?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:29 AM
360 AMC

and we haven't even talked chicken yet!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Gear Head

or cat's!