• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cliff
    350 Buick
    • Mar 30, 2002

Auto Transport- Recommendations?

I just purchased a 1977 Cherokee and need to get it from Colorado to Tennessee. Have any of you used a transport service? If so, can you give me some pointers? A company you recommend, or ones that I should avoid? Any help is greatly appreciated.

For those who want to recommend a road trip, I haven't ruled it out.
    Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

Uship.com can be a decent place to get shipping. Just be sure to go "by the book." Don't take any off-site offers, if you want to go through uship. Find someone reputable, research them, a larger company is better as you'll have more pull getting things like damage covered.

Get a GOOD contract, and make sure you have enough shipping insurance. You want them to foot the bill if something happens, not you.

We just moved all our stuff from MI to NV and have about $4500 in damages we're going to have to sue for. RogueTrucking is who we went with, Shane Michel specifically. Do yourself a favor, and avoid him/them.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Can't recommend a specific co. but do recommend dealing with a specific transport co, NOT a broker.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
        350 Buick
        • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by joe
        Can't recommend a specific co. but do recommend dealing with a specific transport co, NOT a broker.
        We went with a broker years and years ago, and it was a night mare.

The problem is that most "Transport Co's" are brokers.
        If you go with a full fledged Auto Transport Co, you will spend a lot more money.
        (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

A) DO NOT ASK FOR QUOTES ONLINE!!! You will NNEEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRR stop receiving quotes and you will get (no joke) 10-40 quotes a day. I did that about 15 years ago and had to shut my email down because they absolutely slammed me with emails.
          B) Ask your local car dealers. I shipped a car (again, 15 years ago) and used the company my local BMW dealer used to ship their trade-ins away. They cut me a fantastic deal because their trucks would leave SoCal with a trailer full of cars and return almost empty.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

There was a guy in Colorado who is on this site who will transport your rig, He was in the Denver area I think and has posted on here about his j truck several times.

Comment

• Cliff
              350 Buick
              • Mar 30, 2002

Hopefully the J-truck guy in Colorado sees the thread!

Thanks for all the info - you're all a big help.
              Cliff Danley
              1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• Curly5759
                232 I6
                • Mar 08, 2015

I used reliable transportation to move my cars. I have 3 old Caddys, the big boats from the 50's. I requested enclosed shipping which cost a little more. They were great to work with, picked up and dropped off on time. The price seemed very reasonable to me. I'd use them again.

A couple of my friends are retired Jeep engineers from the AMC era, they told me that Reliable was the company that AMC used to move their cars for shows, etc.

Reliable Carriers is North America's largest enclosed auto transport company. For 60+ years, we've provided white glove vehicle transport & automotive shipping services to the world's top auto brands, auction houses, private collectors and more.
                77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• PBG928
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 29, 2016

x2 on Uship. Used them last week. Never had a problem.
                  1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                  1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer(sold)
                  1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                  1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                  1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                  1978 Jeep CJ-5 (sold)
                  1968 AM General M35 (Sold)
                  Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Comment

• 440sixpack
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 21, 2016

Whoever you deal with unless you really want to pay big time you're going through a broker. think about it, what company has a truck where your car is and going where you want it moved on a regular basis. good luck.

I used shipping brokers often when I was messing with Mopars a lot and with a few exceptions I had good luck. I never had a car damaged, the biggest problem was always how long it took to pick it up and how long it took to get where it was going. patience is required so be ready.

Comment

• thumperjohn151
                      230 Tornado
                      • Apr 27, 2018

Well, in my experience, on both sides of the situation (as a professional driver, and a car enthusiast) if you "hire" someone to transporter it, it's gonna cost you $1.00/mile - I recommend a good-old-fashion road trip - get you a truck and trailer, cooler full o-beer, ring bologna and white bread, a co-driver up for the challenge, and head out . . . .
                      Attached Files
                      87' "SCHOONER WAGON"
                      And a bunch of classics too numerous to list...
                      I just want to roam. . .

Comment

• Cliff
                        350 Buick
                        • Mar 30, 2002

I definitely wanted the road trip, but some mechanical issues nixed that idea. I was also worried about heat and the potential for cooling system failure, where parts would not be readily available (like the middle of Kansas). But hey, it would have been an adventure!

Despite the recommendations for Uship I was unable to get them on the phone. I know these things can be done solely on-line, but I wanted to speak to real people. I settled on a company called United Routes. They have their own trucks but said about half go to independent truckers. Reviews were good, and the few problems were explained. Excellent BBB score. For what those are worth.

I will post results when it arrives. Thanks again for the comments.
                        Cliff Danley
                        1977 Cherokee S

Comment

I believe uship is an online only deal. It's mostly an automated broker system, not an actual transport company.

Glad you found someone, though. Hopefully everything goes well.

aa
                          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• DBX11
                            258 I6
                            • May 18, 2009

I listened to a pod cast of c10talk just cause no one has a fsj podcast. But they had an episode on this a year back. It was very informative especially if it?s an expensive type of vehicle. Covered vs uncovered is a topic they really hit on. I used a guy when I bought mine who was a broker and coordinator who was pushy only because he had a truck going thru Raleigh at the time with some extra room otherwise it would have been a week or so later. It?s stressful especially when you let them take care of it, the podcast is worth listening to if you do that sort of thing.

Comment

• DBX11
                              258 I6
                              • May 18, 2009

C10talk March 15 2016.. episode#34

Comment

Working...
                              X