• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThisGuyUKnow
    350 Buick
    • Mar 25, 2008

Exhaust Studs

Can someone point me in the right direction to purchase exhaust studs for a 360? I am getting rid of the hedman headers that came with my jeep and going to original manifolds. The hedmans used bolts so the engine has no stud installed. I have heard it is not a good idea to use bolts over studs, though i dont know what the reasoning is.

If these can be purchased at the parts stores, what is the PN or threading I need? TIA
    '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

you'll have a whole lotta fun removing those manifold in the engine bay with studs. you may not be able to remove them at all. bolts are what is used,and what you should use.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
      350 Buick
      • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Ristow
      you'll have a whole lotta fun removing those manifold in the engine bay with studs. you may not be able to remove them at all. bolts are what is used,and what you should use.
      there are no studs installed now.. So with the factory manifolds use bolts? Can I use just regular grade 8 bolts from the hardware store or do i need to find a source for flanged bolts? The bolts that came with the hedmans are too short to bolt on the factory header.
      '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

yeepers

That is correct & that is what they came with bolts. Mike is right you will not be able to install or remove them.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

SS bolts with a smear of anti-seize will work just fine.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• grandjeeper
            232 I6
            • Mar 06, 2008

Any downside to stainless?

Originally posted by joe
            SS bolts with a smear of anti-seize will work just fine.
            Stainless wouldn't be a grade 8 equivalent, would it? More like a grade 5 or so.

Does this even matter at 15-25 ft-lb for the exhaust manifolds?
            1962 Willys Station Wagon
            1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

You're just hanging manifolds not scaffolding. SS will be fine.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jeepfan93
                304 AMC
                • Feb 07, 2006

X2 I've always used SS. Never a problem.
                Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
                >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
                87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
                1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• Billygoat
                  304 AMC
                  • Mar 16, 2004

I am confused, i have studs on my 401 that I just installed this weekend.
                  Trying to figure out why I should not have been able to install the manifolds?

Yes I had to unbolt the bracket by the T-case to lower the Y pipe.
                  The studs were way easier, slide the gasket on, slide the manifold on.
                  No trying to line up holes.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                    350 Buick
                    • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Billygoat

Billy did you buy new studs? If so source and PN?

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Billygoat

You thinking of the studs for the pipe end or for the cylinder head end? At the cylinder head, they may make the manifolds impossible to remove.

On a 258, a couple of studs in the head are really helpful, for alignment. They also keeps the gasket in place during manifold installation.
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Billygoat
                        304 AMC
                        • Mar 16, 2004

Originally posted by tgreese
                        You thinking of the studs for the pipe end or for the cylinder head end? At the cylinder head, they may make the manifolds impossible to remove.
                        Yes in the heads, and I must have a magic truck, because they went on, so I figure they will come back off. - It was tight by the steering shaft, used a few cus words, it is best to bring the manifolds up from underneath.

(I also have no problems with #8 spark plug and pull the 360 and put in the 401 with the fiberglass heater core box in place and never broke it - so I must just be really good {no BS on any of it)

Originally posted by ThisGuyUKnow
                        Billy did you buy new studs? If so source and PN?
                        I used 3/8" x 2-1/2" cup point set screws - Fastenal 25549
                        The socket head makes for easy install - used serated flange nuts.
                        That is on a 74 401 - all the holes were the same.
                        On my 83 (which has factory bolts) the center 2 are 3/8"-UNC and the end 4 are 5/16"-UNC

Comment

• Ristow
                          • Jan 20, 2006

there you go,it's confirmed it can be done.

but like i said....

I had to unbolt the bracket by the T-case to lower the Y pipe. It was tight by the steering shaft, used a few cus words, it is best to bring the manifolds up from underneath.
                          sounds fun.

i know some struggle with the rear bolts. i don't have that much trouble. those studs will make a simple gasket change a bigger job. but you rarely need to do it twice with manifolds.
                          Originally posted by Hankrod
                          Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• serehill
                            Gone,Never Forgotten.
                            • Nov 22, 2009

intertesting

I can't see removing 50% of the exhaust system to replace a gasket as easier than aligning a bolt hole. I leave the front & rear bolt in. There is also a little more clearance from the firewall on a Cherokee/J series than a waggy. Good luck. Or at least that's my experience.
                            Last edited by serehill; 10-22-2013, 10:12 AM.

80 Cherokee
                            360 ci 727 with
                            Comp cams 270 h
                            NP208
                            Edlebrock performer intake
                            Holley 4180
                            Msd total multi spark.
                            4" rusty's springs
                            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by serehill
                              I can't see removing 50% of the exhaust system to replace a gasket as easier than aligning a bolt hole. I leave the front & rear bolt in. There is also a little more clearance from the firewall on a Cherokee/J series than a waggy. Good luck. Or at least that's my experience.
                              I guess I really need to change my Sig. I sold the 79 Cherokee and picked up a 360 powered CJ. I have yet to see it run though. Got to get these manifolds installed.

Looks like the majority says go with bolts so I will pick up some grade 8 bolts from the hardware store.

Comment

Working...
                              X