• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rooney77
    232 I6
    • Nov 03, 2018

LS swap with stock trans

Has anyone here put an LS in front of the 727? If so, how'd you handle the kickdown cable?

I have a free to me 2004 6.0 I'm researching to swap into my 81 cherokee. I know the 4l60e would be a better choice, to some, but it's also a much more expensive choice. I'm hunting a 4l60e and tcase but if I don't find an affordable one soon I'll be going with the 727.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

or bolt up a turbo 350 /400/ 700r. these are cheap and easy to find.

Comment

• Rooney77
      232 I6
      • Nov 03, 2018

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
      or bolt up a turbo 350 /400/ 700r. these are cheap and easy to find.
      What would that gain me? A th400 has basically the same ratios as a 727 and it would require a new tcase and possibly an axle swap depending on tcase.

Comment

• 80Limited
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2015

I have a 5.3 bolted to an AW4. I have yet to drive it, but the adapter was expensive. I have yet to run it an work the bugs out of it. I made a bracket for my TV cable to attach to my accelerator pedal. I don’t know about the kick down mount. There should be something that hooks to the TB.
        Last edited by 80Limited; 01-07-2019, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• Rooney77
          232 I6
          • Nov 03, 2018

[QUOTE=80Limited]I have a 5.3 bolted to an AW4. I have yet to drive it, but the adapter was expensive. I have yet to run it an work the bugs out of it. I made a bracket for my TV cable to attach to my accelerator pedal. I don

Comment

• Rooney77
            232 I6
            • Nov 03, 2018

I'm also curious if the stock radiator is up to the task.

Comment

• 80Limited
              232 I6
              • Feb 19, 2015

I don't know about the kickdown mount. You could try a Lokar cable and hook it to the throttle body. Other than that I don't know. Since your 6.0 is "drive by cable" it is a lot easier to figure something out.
              My 5.3 is "drive by wire" so thats why I had to rig the Throttle Valve cable to the pedal. I'm hoping this works for me, if not back to the drawing board.

Comment

• Rooney77
                232 I6
                • Nov 03, 2018

Originally posted by 80Limited
                I don't know about the kickdown mount. You could try a Lokar cable and hook it to the throttle body. Other than that I don't know. Since your 6.0 is "drive by cable" it is a lot easier to figure something out.
                My 5.3 is "drive by wire" so thats why I had to rig the Throttle Valve cable to the pedal. I'm hoping this works for me, if not back to the drawing board.

Mine is dbw as well and your solution is pretty much what I figured I'd do.

Edit: not sure why my previous quote didn't work. I dig the aw4 and feel it's under appreciated.

Comment

• 80Limited
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 19, 2015

Ah ha! The 2004 slipped my mind, sorry. Maybe something a long the lines of what I did with a cable kickdown instead of the linkage might work. It is a lot of work for trial and error. I hoping the geometry and travel is the same with the pedal verses the carb.

I am going to try to use my stock radiator in mine, since it's only a year old. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I just cut up my old hoses and bought a couple different angle ones to make it work.

Comment

• 80Limited
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 19, 2015

I had the AW4 in my 80 and didn't want to get rid of it so if it works I might do an XJ or something down the road.

Comment

• Rooney77
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 03, 2018

Originally posted by 80Limited
                      Ah ha! The 2004 slipped my mind, sorry. Maybe something a long the lines of what I did with a cable kickdown instead of the linkage might work. It is a lot of work for trial and error. I hoping the geometry and travel is the same with the pedal verses the carb.

I am going to try to use my stock radiator in mine, since it's only a year old. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I just cut up my old hoses and bought a couple different angle ones to make it work.
                      Awesome news on the radiator.

For the cable, I've read that it's supposed to be a 1:1 ratio of range of movement you just have to have the initial position set right. But that's for the 727. I'm unsure about the aw4.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 15, 2010

those trans will bolt up with out expensive adapters and having to figure out the kick down cable, that's what it will give you.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

yes but using chevy th400 or 700r4 will almost certainly require driveshafts/mounts and possibly other things.

the ls engine adapter leaves current trans./xfer case/driveshaft(s) expenses off the table. While expensive probably cheaper than swapping trans. as well.
                          Tony
                          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 15, 2010

Agree, but it may be cheaper and easier also. He will have costs no matter which way he goes, nothing is free or cheap.

Comment

• Rooney77
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 03, 2018

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                              Agree, but it may be cheaper and easier also. He will have costs no matter which way he goes, nothing is free or cheap.
                              Very true.

Comment

Working...
                              X