• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nottayota
    232 I6
    • Sep 10, 2012

Recommendations for fuel pump to Buick 350

I have the Buick 350 in my 68 Wagoneer that's been rebuilt/refreshed. I want to hook up an electric fuel pump and would appreciate any advice as to what type to use and any possible problems to watch out for. THANKS in advance! (Also any reference to an already existing thread on this topic is also appreciated.)
    '68 Kaiser Wagoneer, Buick 350 .. no school like old school.
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

In general a mechanical pump is a better choice for these applications.
    a) no additional loads on the electrical system. (electrical system design assumed low loads at idle)
    b) Output pressure limited by the diaphram return spring. No additional pressure regulation needed.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

• nottayota
      232 I6
      • Sep 10, 2012

Thanks. Any recommendations for improving start time?
      '68 Kaiser Wagoneer, Buick 350 .. no school like old school.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

you can use a small electric fuel pump as a pusher to the mechanical pump or eliminate the mechanical all together, a small electric pump will not draw to much voltage and generally will only put out 5-7 psi which will not need a regulator in line. this will help keep the carb supplied with fuel for a quicker start. You could always install a bolt on fuel injection setup which have been coming down on price and will cure a lot of your issues also.

Comment

• nograin
          304 AMC
          • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by nottayota
          Thanks. Any recommendations for improving start time?
          Depends on what conditions this occurs.
          If it sits long enough, the intake manifold dries out. This could be a few days in the cold or stopped after an hour of running. Some of this can be adjusted out with the choke and also the starting procedure for the conditions.

If its something like the accel pump is losing fuel, then thats different, and can be fixed with a new seal or check valve depending on the carb.
          '85 Grand Wagoneer
          360 727auto, NP229
          body by beer (PO)
          carries wood inside
          no "wood" outside
          My other car is a fish

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

Wait, you found someone who built a Buick V8 that doesn't burn oil, leak oil, have terrible oil pressure, or otherwise systematically destroy itself? That's amazing.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Working...
            X