• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dome
    304 AMC
    • Apr 06, 2000

1982 Cherokee - George Selby

My name is George Selby, I live in Ayden, NC which is very near Greenville and East Carolina University. I have an '82 Jeep Cherokee. I traded some unknowledgable person an 81 Honda Accord for it about 2 years ago. I also got a parts Jeep which I fixed and sold to a friend. It's main problem is the idiot backed it into a tree, bending the frame. It looks bad on the side you can't see, but drives fine. I purchased yet another Jeep (83 GW) for the frame.

The Cherokee features a 360 with a four barrel (factory carb and intake) from a 78 Cherokee. It has the 727 auto and NP 229 transfer case from the 83 GW. It has Dana 44 front and Model 20 rear axles. It has a nice interior, AC, and 32" Super Swamper tires.

It finest hour was a recent trip to Cape Hatteras. It wind was blowing good, so the sand was extremely soft, especially at Oregon Inlet. At the entrance to Oregon Inlet, the beach narrows to about 5 lanes of traffic wide. At this very spot trucks were buried to the axles all over the place. Good thing a Jeep showed up. Within sight, a Ford Bronco, two Chevy Full Size PU's, an Explorer, a Nissan and a Toyota were all Stuck. I let other people handle the light trucks and set about freeing the big ones. I yanked out the first Chevy to get to the Bronco, with a big crowd around asking how my beat up Jeep was conquering the sand. I told them "It's a Jeep," then pulled out the Bronco. Just as I got the Bronco free, a tow truck pulling a new Dodge that fried a tranny bogged down next to me. I hooked up to him and pulled him out. Got a free tank of gas for that one. Everyone else was unstuck, and I proceeded down the beach for another day of fun.

George Selby
    Ayden, NC
    1982 Cherokee
    83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
    360, TF727, NP228
    SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker
Working...
X