• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zorm
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 1997

Just bought this Chief!!

Got to actually pick it up yet but just bought this 79, first time I have seen solid, SOLID straight fender flares on a parts Jeep that supposedly runs and it actually real nice. It needs floor boards due to leaky sunroof but everything outside is solid! A few questions though

the stuff you see on the front fender is actually the black decal or paint flaking off, there is no rust or bondo in the flares at all!

it has manual locking front hubs, could this not have the T400 tranny? What xfr case am I looking at if its stock. There is also that green and red "emergency drive" placard from the glove box. The P.O. said that it would only drive in one gear, or maybe not shift, not sure gonna visit that again.

PO said they had it running, but today, nothing, even putting in a good battery, no power anywhere, no spark. Could a bad starter sol cause that? We were able to jump to the other side of the sol an had it turn over but no spark.

anyone want to buy the pig nose grill? got a muscle grill I'm gonna put on.

so now I'm selling the 78 in my sig. (might part out, if I have the room)
    83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

Very cool. More pics please.

With the placard in the glove box and the manual hubs it could be a Dana 20 or.... If it has the quadra trac t- case it may have a part time kit.

Check out jubileejeeps.org it is a great, extremely informative site on the legendary Quadra trac. I think we can Thank Flint for it. It takes the mystery out of the Quadra trac transfer case. http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

I have been looking at it a lot lately because of the 79 Chief I picked up a few months ago.
    Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 09-10-2020, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• Zorm
      304 AMC
      • Apr 08, 1997

thanks 78 Widetrack, i will. haven't really got under it yet, just the body blew me away, how straight and non rusty it is. It has the xfr case shifter on the side of the tranny hump, drivers side close to the floor

other side view

I'm gonna be selling those rims dont like that style.
      Last edited by Zorm; 09-10-2020, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
        350 Buick
        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Zorm
        thanks 78 Widetrack, i will. haven't really got under it yet, just the body blew me away, how straight and non rusty it is. It has the xfr case shifter on the side of the tranny hump, drivers side close to the floor

other side view

I'm gonna be selling those rims dont like that style.

It should have the Turbo 400 trans and the quadra trac trans. The flag shifter is for the low range option. I added the link to my first post. An absolute manditory read if you have a Quadra trac.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2016

LUCKY !!!

great find, !!!

love the Cherokees, seem to be more rare than wagoners,.....

you got a good one.

dave in NC
          SOLSAKS - dave
          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
          1982 J-10 Fleetside
          1988 grand wagoneer
          2004 RUBICON jeep
          Benson, NC

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

Looks nice! if an automatic, it's got to be a TH400 with Borq-Warner Quadratrac. Very often these are converted to part time with a kit from Mile Marker. In that case, you can fit front locking hubs and drive it like a regular gear-driven transfer case: 2WD or locked 4WD. No sensible person would add front locking hubs to a real full-time Quadratrac, though it is possible I suppose. Check to see that the front driveshaft is free with the hubs locked in and the vacuum selector in the glove box in regular drive (not emergency drive). This is what you'd expect from a part time converted rig.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Zorm
              304 AMC
              • Apr 08, 1997

just for poops and grins, would a quadratrac froma cj, if it was mated to a TH400 in the CJ, work in our jeeps? (maybe an extra) This Cherokee come with another xfr case with a good chain. This owner got this jeep for parts and has not done any work to it.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

Yes, it will bolt in. I noticed in the pics that axles are shifted like the springs are in backwards for the front and rear?

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Zorm
                  just for poops and grins, would a quadratrac froma cj, if it was mated to a TH400 in the CJ, work in our jeeps? (maybe an extra) This Cherokee come with another xfr case with a good chain. This owner got this jeep for parts and has not done any work to it.
                  Yep, same part. QT CJ-7s are fairly scarce though, only CJ-7s with an automatic '76-79.

Good point about the springs on backwards, wiley-moe.
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 25, 2016

concerning the springs/axles:

is the position of the rear wheel in the wheel arch/fender flare

the thing that tipped you off ?

I don't know much about the springs/axles so I was curious....

dave in NC
                    SOLSAKS - dave
                    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                    1982 J-10 Fleetside
                    1988 grand wagoneer
                    2004 RUBICON jeep
                    Benson, NC

Comment

• Zorm
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 08, 1997

Quick question, I'll search more for it. Does the TH400 have a vacuum actuator? the placard is not connected to anything, just laying in the floor. I ask because I got the title today, paid the rest of the cash, and the PO said it would never get out of 1st gear. Reverse, park, drop it to 1,2 and D, it would reve up but never shift. i'l check the fluid but not getting till 2 weeks from now. heading to Pittsburgh Sunday for a week.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 15, 2010

Yes the position on the wheels in the arches are off. Yes there is a vacuum diaphragm the top back side of the transfer case with 2 lines hooked to it that go the switch in the glovebox.

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Was that the question? Sorry if this is redundant to earlier posts - The Quadratrac shifts using a vacuum motor on the transfer case that shift into and out of emergency drive. This motor has two sides (in/out) that the glovebox switch (manually) chooses between. Takes relatively constant vacuum from the vacuum reservoir, same as the heater controls. The transmission (TH400) has a vacuum modulator that is always connected to manifold vacuum, not the reservoir. This affects the (automatic) shifts of the transmission. Pretty common part to fail.
                          Tim Reese

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

if it has front lockout hubs "disengaged" and the transfer case is not milemarker converted and case isn't in e-drive then it will NOT move.
                            don't force it or you'll tear up quadratrac internals.

a regular qtrack will do the same if missing a driveshaft without being n e-drive.
                            Tony
                            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Rusty76
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 15, 2018

Good find! Enjoy
                              1976 Jeep Wagoneer
                              Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
                              Still not running. Soon!

Comment

Working...