Stalling-While Mudding! Ignition or fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Stalling-While Mudding! Ignition or fuel?

We took the J10 out mudd-n today and while reving through the boggs the motor would cough and then stall. It would easily restart and excellerate to a certain point and then cough and stall again. It seamed to be more spark than fuel but I dont know for certain. The truck wasn't at any CRAZY angle to cause flooding and it always happened at higher rpm. The truck has an Edelbrock carb and OEM distributor. What's your ideas and what should I do to fix it (Hei or off road needle kit)?
  • rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Has anyone (Im sure they have) had this issue? I'm asking for some input before I get into it. Like mentioned above, it seems as though it losses spark and its not gradual. It will pull really well and without a sympton (no sputtering) it will cough (through the carb-I think) and stop. I would think that if it was starving for gas it would sputter etc and not just quit and its not bouncing leading to flooding. Hmmm?

Comment

• woodfar
      232 I6
      • Feb 18, 2008

stalling

I had similar issues even on hwy above 65 mph with my 360 J10 until I went with HEI. Seems stock ign can't handle anything other than idle. Others had good luck with stock but after taking mine to dissy shop guy calls and said to come and get it he didn't want to waste my money. This is the worst ign ever made. Go figure. Jeeps each have their own personality.
      http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ar/ECI%202010/

May the sun be at your back and the wind in your face

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Thanks for the input-Ive heared those stories of the AMC ignition which makes it suspect in my case. Another note: 30 minutes later in the MacDonalds parking lot it stalled 3 times. It seems OK after that. It was never an issue driving it on the road until we took it to the boggs and now that we're back on the road its back to normal.

Comment

• dngrs1
          327 Rambler
          • May 22, 2004

Took my J-10 through a water puddle once. Water splashed up from the tires and drowned the alternator (which sits low) and killed the ignition. Left me "dead in the water" (pun intended).
          '77 J-10 '79 CJ-7
          Arizona-The Rust Stops Here

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I was hoping that some others had simular issues with their trucks. Im sure that these symptoms are common to the AMC V8's? I would like to hear weather changing to a HEI resolved the stalling or if tuning the carberator fixed it.

Comment

• toyjeep
              258 I6
              • Apr 11, 2006

Start simple. Replace your inline fuel filter (if you have one) and check to see if you have one in the carb itself (my Holley has a simple mesh one just inside the fitting that the hard line attaches too).

I had a simillar issue once, and it was because my filters were full of crud....
              'Pepper' -- '77 Cherokee w/ 360/435/203/205/HP60/14B/42's

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                350 Buick
                • Mar 25, 2008

vapor lock?
                '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• ClovisMan
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 05, 2009

Is it a stock MC2150? Blown power valve?
                  1988 Grand Wagoneer currently in pieces across the shop.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

We installed a WhitePerformance HEI and it now runs through the Boggs w/o stalling. The OEM ignition system must have been the issue.

Comment

• 68_Gladiator
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 01, 2007

i had a problem like that once, was simply sucking water in the intake when it would splash up into the engine bay
                      "Go Brow or go home"

1973 J2000

Comment

Working...
                      X