X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rande
    Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
    • Jun 26, 2000

Changed out the single pot master cylinder in my old Mustang for this very reason.

Probably your E-brake engaged because the tread wrapped around the cable and tightened it. There is no mechanism to engage it automatically if the hydraulics are lost. Lucky happenstance.
    N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
    1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
    1966 Mustang
    1937 IH D2

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

I've been saved by the dual circuit brake system more than once.

It's certainly an upgrade to consider.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• FishFighter
        232 I6
        • Aug 22, 2011

So, i got the tire off and removed the 4 foot section of tread that was wrapped around the axle and brake lines. It looks like I will need a new e-brake cable, small section of new brake line and a new drum. With that being said, I'm going to rebuild the wheel brake cylinders and put in all new shoes/springs etc on both sides of the rear axle. Its hell getting the rear drum off so it will have to wait till tomorrow when my friend can bring his puller. Here are some pics of the tire and it looks as if it was made in 2002. I bought these tires from Big-O 4 years ago and had them on my Colorado for 2 months before pulling them for a mud terrain from Les Schwab. These Dayton Timberline A/T tires were mounted to the Jeep rims about a year ago. Vehicle is garaged and out of the sun/elements.

Comment

• Mars
          350 Buick
          • Apr 24, 2010

10 year old tire. Had something similar happen to one on my S-10, damaged my bed and bent my alloy wheel. Looked just like that but still held air.

Mike
          Last edited by Mars; 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM.
          Wannabe Fabricator
          Grumpy on a good day.
          1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
          What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• FishFighter
            232 I6
            • Aug 22, 2011

Mars, I bought them in Dec of 2007 at a local Big O Tire. I had them originally on my Colorado and blew a rear tire while on a trail/camping trip. I purchased a better quality mud terrain tire from Les Schwab on the way home. I liked the Les Schwab tires so much I had all the tires replaced and ordered another Dayton Timberline A/T from Big-O to have an extra set of tires. I stored them in plastic bags indoors. I'm finding that some tire shops have been doing this, selling expired new tires. My friend is an auto tech and works for the city/county on all the vehicles including buses. He told me that its actually been a big issue lately at his work having blowouts on "new" tires that have a not so new manufacture date.

Comment

• FishFighter
              232 I6
              • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mars
              10 year old tire. Had something similar happen to one on my S-10, damaged my bed and bent my alloy wheel. Looked just like that but still held air.

Mike

Yeah, this one still held air up until this a.m. I didn't even notice there was a blown tire until I slid under the vehicle and saw the tread spindled around the axle. I thought something fell off the engine or the driveline.

Comment

• Flashfoto
                232 I6
                • Aug 12, 2012

Well I know the feeling all too well. My very first vehicle was a '63 VW bus and I was heading downhill in a residential neighborhood when my brake pedal went right to the floor! I yanked the ebrake handle and... zip, nada, nothing. Houses and cars on both sides and nowhere to go!

Yeah... that'll get your heart pumping!

Well as I was gaining a fair amount of speed and running out of road and options, I decided to ditch! I know I know but I was young and like I said, the ol heart was pumping big time now. Well I opened the door and planned to tuck and roll (at 40 mph!). As I went to take a leap of faith my foot came off the clutch and... yup... I laid down about 40 feet of rubber under 3rd gear braking. OH YEAH!!... GEARS!!!! Down into 2nd!... more rubber. Then first. Now at a crawl I made the turn at the bottom of the hill and promptly parked it. Whew!

Glad you guys are ok.
                89 Grand Wagoneer / 360 / Dana 44's

77 Wagoneer / 401 / Dana 44's / Sold!

Comment

I had a Vauxhall Viva that had a new mastercylinder, etc put on by a shop (before I got it) and first long hill I came too, they faded to nothing but a rock hard pedal! We got airborne at the bottom as we crossed the highway through a red light with me laying on the horn all the way. Scared the heck out of me and my first wife. Kids thought it was a hoot and wanted to do it again!
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                  X