Okay, I'm going insane, and I need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Marneaus
    360 AMC
    • Jun 16, 2010

Rebuilding the carb right now, he said it was pretty dirty and some of the seals and gaskets looked pretty old and worn.

Cheaper than a new carb. Thats for sure....but not exactly "cheap."

If this doesnt work...I'll just probably take it somewhere a little more "friendly" to get it smogged...if you catch my drift.

Originally posted by Walt
    If you decide to go back to factory carb, I've got a 1990 factory carb I'd be willing to part with. It was running great when removed a couple of years ago.
    I'll let you know!
    Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
    The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
    1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
      360 AMC
      • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by tgreese
      Yes.

The factory setup will be within the smog specs.

Or, you can fiddle with this carb to lean it out enough to meet the smog specs. The Edelbrock is a repop of the Carter AFB I recall, and is a metering rod carb. I expect you'll have to buy some replacement parts (new metering rods sp.) to lean out the mixture much. The metering rod controls both the high speed mixture and the low speed enrichment ("power" circuit). If your mechanic just adjusted what parts are there (ie idle mixture, up-down location of the metering rods), he has not really done much to tune the carb. You should be able to get different metering rods at a speed shop, or through one of the online speed shops like Jegs or Summit.
      I suggested for him to pick up a calibration kit rather than a rebuild, and he said he had thought about it vs. a rebuild, but if other stuff is still worn out and there are bad seals and whatnot, the calibration wont do too much for it.
      The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• LHopper
        258 I6
        • Sep 13, 2001

Some time back I was unable to pass, which made me crazy, and it turned out to be a burnt valve. Maybe check the compreson.
        78cherokee360 4b carb. auto tob.400q/t D44 BFG 33`s w/2.5 lift w/added lowrange,TFI upgrade, and cat free

Comment

• dngrs1
          327 Rambler
          • May 22, 2004

My Son lives in 'Vegas. He used a friends' address in Laughlin to register his truck there, no smog check. Only problem is the two different addresses 'tween the registration and D/L (minor issue).
          '77 J-10 '79 CJ-7
          Arizona-The Rust Stops Here

Comment

• CarlBraun
            232 I6
            • Oct 24, 2009

catalytic converter?

In reading thru your post(s) I dont see anything about a cat converter. I dont think your rig came with one as stock in 73 but if you can find one throw it on and your CO2 levels should drop significantly.

My 83 BMW (430K miles) failed smog at 2x the CO2 level...my BMW mechanic told me that CA changed a few things about a year ago and they got even tighter on CO2 levels.

My guy installed a new CAT that he says is made specifically for what I needed...he even said that if my car had ZERO miles on it and was brand new it probably wouldnt pass the current CO2 level requirement. $500 later my new CAT dropped my CO2 from 1100+ to 200...with a MAX designated by the Nazi state of CA at 900.

Hang a cat if AZ will let you and good luck. I sold my 1980 Wagoneer and bought a 65 just to get around the BS of smog testing. Stick that up your smog pipe California Air Research Board (CARB)
            Last edited by CarlBraun; 07-23-2010, 04:11 PM.
            Carl

1963 Wagoneer 230/BW Auto
            1965 Riviera Gran Sport 425 2x4bbl

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
              360 AMC
              • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by CarlBraun
              In reading thru your post(s) I dont see anything about a cat converter. I dont think your rig came with one as stock in 73 but if you can find one throw it on and your CO2 levels should drop significantly.

My 83 BMW (430K miles) failed smog at 2x the CO2 level...my BMW mechanic told me that CA changed a few things about a year ago and they got even tighter on CO2 levels.

My guy installed a new CAT that he says is made specifically for what I needed...he even said that if my car had ZERO miles on it and was brand new it probably wouldnt pass the current CO2 level requirement. $500 later my new CAT dropped my CO2 from 1100+ to 200...with a MAX designated by the Nazi state of CA at 900.

Hang a cat if AZ will let you and good luck. I sold my 1980 Wagoneer and bought a 65 just to get around the BS of smog testing. Stick that up your smog pipe California Air Research Board (CARB)
              1. there's a non-functional cat on it.

2. Its my CO emissions, not CO2. But a cat would still lower CO.

3. A cat is a bandaid...the truck will still be running rich and I wont know why. And, it'll kill the cat before too long.

This is my last resort if i cant pass it or get it smogged by someone a little...more...helpful.....
              The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                360 AMC
                • Jun 16, 2010

Alrighty....

I called the guy at noon asking what was up...he said he just got into the shop and was gonna go get the rebuild kit (so much for morning).

He called me at 4:30 and said his boss never showed up so he couldnt go get the part...and maybe he'd have it done monday.

I got in the magnum, went and picked up my girl, then drove over to the shop, called the guy, made him drive back, and told him i have no confidence in their work, this has been a ridiculous situation, and I just want the jeep back.

He was 100% understanding, felt bad because all this crap (management?) has been keeping him from getting it done, etc, more excuses more excuses.

I paid for the oil change, not the original $120 tune/smog, not for the failed smog tests, not for the rebuild and for none of the labor that had supposedly been done.

At this point its too late to take it anywhere before my temporary movement permit is up, so i'll either try to rebuild it or take it somewhere later because now I have to sit at the DMV for 2 hours before i can drive it any more.

So, I have the jeep back, it runs fairly crappy because its tuned down and leaned out supposedly, and no work other than an oil change has been done.

Comment

• Thomas792
                  327 Rambler
                  • Sep 16, 2007

Amazon has a rebuild kit. $40.00 which includes free shipping if you go that route. I rebuilt my 1406 in about 6 hours. This included removal and reinstallation. Got rid of a stumble that I had and even improved the fuel economy.
                  1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
                  Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• CrawlerD
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 27, 2005

I am a local guy. My buddy has seen that rig sitting there out in Henderson off pacific right? Oh man do I have the guy for you. He is as honest as the day is long and is a pro at the situation we have here. Guys bring their muscle post 67' cars left and right. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! We can get this handled. My 81' failed (cause I didn't want to drive it over across town and have him smog it.) I called he said "Don't worry, bring it to me" I take it to him and a couple adjustments as it is on the smog and tada dont. Cost me $25 for a new smog and thats it. (my fault for not taking it to him in the first place). Part of an old car is the frustrating parts, but if you can do it yourself or find someone honest it makes it much easier.

PM sent.
                    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ictures028.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X