It doesn't fit! (sounds like a personal problem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porkchop
    Master of B.S.
    • Apr 17, 2000

It doesn't fit! (sounds like a personal problem)

I have been trying for the last two days to get a 360 from the '79 into the Wag and it just does not fit. The eng mounts in the wag are lounger. They are 7 3\4" and the ones from the cherokee are 6" the frame is the same distance between the two. I just wanted to piont this out in case anybody else wanted to try this. I am in the process of trying to take the mounts off the wag. The ones on the cherokee were bolted in and the ones one the wag are put on with BIG rounded rivets. I went out today and bought an air compressor and I am going to try to chisel them off.

One other thing I noticed is that the cross member on the wag is forward more. I am going to have to drill holes to mount in the TH400. I did get a floorshifter today so I will not have to change the steering column (I like the old one). I did change out the brake pedal though and took out the clutch pedal which is to be expected.

My plans to have it on the road soon will have to wait. My only concern is how am I going to get to work?

------------------
    '67 Wagoneer
    '79 Cherokee Chief
    Swapping parts so I will let you know the stats when I am done.

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeeps."
  • mark
    304 AMC
    • Jun 14, 2000

porkchop
    are there 2 sets of holes in the frame for the crossmember?i just took the crossmember out of a partsrig that had a stick and the crossmember was forward more than mine but it had 2 sets of holes to mount it.

------------------
    mark
    79 cherokee chief
    11 in lift 42 in swampers
    (ABOVE THE LAW)
    mark<br />76 cherokee chief<br />chevy 502 t-400 np-205<br />dana 60 front corp 14 bolt rear<br />fiberglass fenders and quarters<br />(ABOVE THE LAW)(AND UNDER CONSTRUCTION)<br /> http://<br />&#91;URL=http://www.fsjworl...91;/URL]<br />

Comment

• Marc_01
      327 Rambler
      • May 10, 2000

What kind of floor shifter did you get PC. I was looking into getting one just for the heck of it.
      87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• porkchop
        Master of B.S.
        • Apr 17, 2000

I couldn't afford an expensive shifter since I just bought the Air Compressor and all the fun tools to go with it, that set me back aways. I bought one from Autozone for $29 it is a Daytona part #7668 I had a daytona when I was running my three speed manual and never had a problem. This one is universal and has instructions on how to hook it up to the TH400. I will let you know how it shifts and how the install goes in a week or so (hopeful sooner).

------------------
        '67 Wagoneer
        '79 Cherokee Chief

Comment

• porkchop
          Master of B.S.
          • Apr 17, 2000

OK does anyone know a good way, shy of torching, to get off the engine mounts? Like I said before the ones on the chero were bolted on and the ones on my wag are held on by the big a** ship rivets. I have ground them to nothing, cut them, sanded them and chiseled them and nothing seems to move them. I even tried heating them up first. Any suggestions on what I should try next. I really need my wag to get back and forth to work.

------------------
          '67 Wagoneer
          '79 Cherokee Chief

Comment

• irbob
            360 AMC
            • Apr 11, 2000

Have you tried drilling em out?

------------------
            My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
            83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
            Bob
            83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
            83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Rye
              232 I6
              • Jun 15, 2000

Usually the best way to remove rivets is to drill the head off and then punch them out. If they won't budge, then go ahead and drill them out all the way. Of course then there is the last resort, find the biggest hammer and start pounding. This method isn't the most effective but should make you feel better!

------------------
              76 Wag 401 Th400 Q-trac w/ low range
              3" body lift 32" BFG's
              Dual exhaust
              My first 4x4!!!
              Slowly coming alive
              87 Grand Wagoneer
              401, Z&M HEI, Eldelbrock carb/intake/headers, Tadrack, Youngjeeper front recovery mount

Comment

Working...
              X