Has anyone installed the BJ's rear mount tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monkeyevil
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 10, 2004

Has anyone installed the BJ's rear mount tanks?

My Chief came with a non-installed BJ's stainless tank and I'm curious if the previous owner modified the mounts for some reason? No photos of the tank installed on BJ's site, can't find any on a google search either. Namely where this front mount goes? I can weld a new one on, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything

Does anyone have a photo of their installed for reference?

Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fl5n5oixa3...6.48.jpg?raw=1
    Last edited by monkeyevil; 02-24-2020, 03:39 PM.
    79 Chief
  • UnkleMunky
    350 Buick
    • Oct 17, 2000

Cannot help you directly on that, but BJ's still sells those kits:

I'd say contact them and ask questions. I am sure they will help as much as they can. Maybe the owner didn't include *all* the parts or did something to it, as you wondered.
    Michael (UnkleMunky)
    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

A thousand bones? Wow!
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

i'm surprised BJ's sell these. can you imagine the liability issues when someone gets rear ended with one of these tanks back there and it busts open? a custom tank in a non stock location on a car that is known to fold up like an envelope?
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• SJTD
          304 AMC
          • Apr 26, 2012

Especially when the mounts are welded to it.

I learned that lesson on a glass bodied VW buggy. I welded mounts to a stock tank which then ripped off in an accident. Lotsa spilled gas. Luckily there was no ignition.

There's a reason factory tanks are held up by straps.
          Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
            350 Buick
            • Jul 09, 2009

The Trail Blazer tanks were mounted back there in the 70'-80s.

HAHA I have two of them for my Wagoneers.
            (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
              350 Buick
              • Feb 15, 2010

How did you survive and not blow up?

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                Señor Jackhead
                • Aug 21, 2002

I have not worked with this tank before but I have removed a Trail Blazer tank that was shaped the same. The narrow end of the tank was in the back and the angled area along the sides fit one of the receiver hitches that was popular back then. Contact BJsOffroad
                Flint
                Ran when parked.
                http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                  How did you survive and not blow up?
                  Either unbelievably lucky or God didn't want me burned to death.

I think it was option two.
                  Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 15, 2010

Good one! There are so many vehicles with rear mounted fuel tanks that they should have all blown up. That's a bit of sarcasm right there.

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

Mustangs? Wasn't the tank also the trunk floor? Or was that the Pinto?
                      Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Pinto/Mustang II/Maverick? Yeah they had issues...

In auto body school in the 90's we had a pretty in-depth section on fuel systems/fire safety checks on vehicles that needed collision repairs.
                        There were a LOT of fire-related injuries and deaths on older vehicles.
                        Something like 3/4 million fatalities in one of the studies we read.

The risk is real and way higher on older vehicles due to a lack of safety standards. More modern vehicles had to meet better standards and pass several tests before they were deemed "safe".

Driving any old school vehicle is never as safe as newer ones. Any aftermarket fuel system mods should be done very carefully if you intend to drive it on freeways or higher speeds where impact forces/speeds will be much higher.

A tank like the OP is talking about would likely fail in a collision much easier than a modern OEM tank. Newer OEM tanks are designed and mounted to absorb impacts an aftermarket one probably has ZERO testing and would likely fail any real-world testing.
                        There are federal motor vehicle standards for fuel tanks and I seriously doubt the above tank would pass.

Will it ignite? who knows way too many factors to consider but I sure wouldn't risk it because my kids ride in my vehicles and there are WAY TOO MANY idiots out there on the road.

If I was going to do a tank replacement I'd use an OEM one with a similar mounting setup.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by SJTD
                          Mustangs? Wasn't the tank also the trunk floor? Or was that the Pinto?
                          Mustangs of certain years had the tank as the trunk floor.
                          Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• SJTD
                            304 AMC
                            • Apr 26, 2012

Reminds me of a cartoon from way back when. Caption was something like "Oh honey, you got me a new car!" Car was a Pinto with Firestone 500's.

Some will remember the uproar over those tires.
                            Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

Working...
                            X