• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KdkGrizz
    232 I6
    • Jul 18, 2014

Carter Fuel Pump Install my experience

Hello everyone. I wanted to share my recent experience installing the Carter M6737 Fuel Pump. This is the 25 gph pump. The pump itself if nicely built, and not so noticeably larger than the stock pump. My 82 Waggy, is 360 and an A/C model so I am not totally sure if the power steering pump bracket it different than a non a/c rig. So I did a quick test fit (yes just eyeballed it) and it seemed to be no issue. But as I was attempting to line up the second of the 2 bolts I not noticed that I the pump inlet tower seemed to be hitting the bottom power steering bracket (I did insure that the eccentric on the cam was at it's lowest position, this is a must when changing a fuel pump on this motor). Well after a time, I decided to bite the bullet and pulled the PS pump, and it's bracket. Sure enough I could see small witness marks on the Inlet tower, and the bottom of the bracket (There is a gusset just above the inlet tower). I pulled out my grinder, and started slowly removing material on the underside of the gusset. It didn't take too long, and, and I made several dry fits of the to make sure all 3 bolts of the bracket would line up. I only cut away enough material to give about 1/8" of clearance to the inlet tower. Other thing I noticed that was a bit more frustrating for me anyways. Was the fact that the inlet is also higher up on the body, and I with the PS pump installed you are totally blind as to being able to tighten down the upper hose clamp (Probably should have installed that first haha). The pump is excellent, and primed and started the waggy on it's 3rd revolution, and I 6-7 psi right away. So far I am happy with the pump. But now I know what I will have to plan for if I ever have to replace it. Hope this helps someone who is considering changing to this fuel pump.

Be good all, and stay safe.

Kodi
    Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
    360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...
  • Curly5759
    232 I6
    • Mar 08, 2015

I'm curious about the pump you chose. NAPA shows it for the AMC 6 not the V8. Does it deliver more fuel volume or psi than stock?

Thanks

Curly
    77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• JeepJeepster
      350 Buick
      • Sep 04, 2014

And why do we need more flow? Just curious.
      2004 Jeep Liberty
      1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
      1994 Jeep ZJ I6
      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• Retro93
        Junk Collector
        • Nov 02, 2001

With an AMC V8 more flow is good. You want to move as much fuel back through the return line as possible to help prevent vapor lock.

Watch that Carter closely. Mine quit after 2 years. When it went, it completely stopped the flow of fuel to the engine even though I have an electric pump back by the tank. That took a couple of hours to figure out. I know of another Carter that the disc ruptured on that filled the oil pan full of fuel.
        79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• JeepJeepster
          350 Buick
          • Sep 04, 2014

Gotcha.

Isnt carter what AMC used as OE? I believe the pump I installed was a carter...
          2004 Jeep Liberty
          1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
          1994 Jeep ZJ I6
          1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• KdkGrizz
            232 I6
            • Jul 18, 2014

When I did the engine rebuild I installed a new stock pump that I got from RockAuto. It fit well, but the fuel pressure never went above 2psi. as well it would not maintain prime after sitting for a few days. The rebuild included some upgrades like Edlebrock manifold and carb. It seemed to be staving for fuel. I temporarily disconnected the fuel return line, and the pressure was better. I read here that Carter still made a pumps that fit the old AMC 360, and summit carried them. As soon as I installed it, the fuel pressure increase was noticeable. jumped from 2 to 6psi. Also there was no lack of fuel at WOT which was the case on the pump.
            Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
            360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...

Comment

Working...
            X