• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brubakes
    350 Buick
    • Jun 25, 2009

cost to repaint

For those of you who have repainted their FSJ I was wondering how much it cost you. I know it can depend on each shop and how "nice" of a paint job you get. I'm just looking for what a general nice paint job might cost.
    Last edited by brubakes; 07-16-2009, 07:27 AM.
    FSJless.... for now....
  • dlowrance
    304 AMC
    • Feb 16, 2007

Take a look at this thread....

I have a line on a Cherokee with a good rust free body that is in dire need of paint. The paint on it is there but it is very faded red. Excluding the body work, how much do ya think a good quality paint job would be for a non-metalic color? I would either go with Red again or possibly copper (which means painting the
    Dale

79 WT Cherokee
    TH400
    D20 Twin Stick
    Unnamed as of yet....

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

If you want to go cheap but not paint it yourself, you can do the prep work yourself and take it to a "one day" paint shop. "One Day Paint and Body" is one of these http://www.onedaypaint.com/our-process/paint-systems/ , Maaco http://www.maaco.com/paint-overall.aspx# is another, Earl Scheib http://www.earlscheib.com/ is a third.

Realize that even if shoot it all yourself, you will spend at least a few hundred dollars on brand-name materials. The one-day center job can look good, but they are typically sloppy on stuff like masking and trim removal. Remove all the trim and mask out everything you can. Note that they will charge you more for a larger vehicle - more materials needed. If you can leave the doors shut (no color change), that will keep the cost down too. I would get, at a minimum, the cheapest catalyzed paint available - the catalyst will make the paint much harder and the paint job will last longer.

The usual advice is to go to the center and look at the cars coming out.

A real body shop job is going to push into the thousands of dollars. It'll be nicer than the one-day job, but I think the one-day job will be quite acceptable for most cars.

hth!
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• medinajim2000
        350 Buick
        • Oct 28, 2005

It depend on where you go. I just had mine done, and got quotes from several different places, ranging from $1,500 (side guys that work in their garage after work) to $5,000 from professional "restoration" type shops.

Also depends on what you do vs. what they do. You can remove all the exterior pieces yourself, which will save some money. You can tell they guy not to sand it down or remove dents.

Got her back from the paint guy yesterday. She looks great. No overspray, runs or orange peel. He took the time to completely sand it down and remove all little dents and dings. Looks showroom new, now. While he was working on that, I was polishin all the little chrome pieces. Will be putting those back on today, then get
        https://www.facebook.com/ClassicGrandWagoneers/

87 GW (White) - Incoming
        89 GW (Black Cherry) - In Resto
        85 GW (Gold) - In Resto
        86 GW (Garnet) - In Resto
        84 GW (Bronze) - In Resto
        89 GW (Gray) - (Gone)
        89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
        87 GW (White)(Gone)
        86 GW (Blue)(Gone)
        88 GW (Gray)(Gone)
        89 GW (Gold)(Gone)
        89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
        75 Cherokee S (Blue)(Gone)

Comment

• silvercert
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 05, 2009

Im doing mine my self and using this Kit....

Daniel
          I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I always allow each student one free pass in my classes. The bad news is that you have now used yours for this class. Doug

Comment

• brubakes
            350 Buick
            • Jun 25, 2009

Thanks for the links and responses. It helps me get a better idea. I know it's not a job that I want to do myself. I do have some dings and dents I would like to have removed during the process. I haven't done body work since high school shop class so that might have to be done by the shop.

MedinaJim, What did you end up paying for that paint job? It looks great!

edit: I should add I don't mind paying for a quality job, I just don't want to get screwed since I don't know much about this topic.
            Last edited by brubakes; 07-16-2009, 03:30 PM.
            FSJless.... for now....

Comment

• Chuck Brown
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 17, 2008

Funny you should mention...

I took a drive over to the local paint/body shop owned by a fella I know and spoke with his head body man. Ive got a (Arizona sourced) 77 Cherokee thats already in primer, has a few spots of surface rust from the recent rain we've had and a couple of dings which Im not really interested in even taking out.

Get this, the dude tells me, "Yeah...I figure Im gonna need to work on this truck for 40 hrs/week for at least 3 months @ $35/Hr + materials."

THREE MONTHS??????

It killed me, but I was polite and thanked him for his time and all, but Im putting in a call to my pal this morning and asking him if his guy is on heavy meds! Seriously, the surface rust is so minimum, I could easily clean it up over the course of a sunny weekend in my driveway.

(Btw, thats a CONSERVATIVE total of $16,800 BEFORE materials).

Chuck Brown
              Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
              Works in progress:
              1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
              1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

To go from this:

to this:

The cost was $2000. There was a fair amount of body work. The rear fenders up front had been pulled off and flattened a bit when the previous owner went wheel'n. A few body panel dents too. One small spot of rust. I had them spray the back panels of the interior. Also, welded the small roof rack holes and the unnecessary holes in the front (Rhino grill).

Single stage paint. I pulled off all the trim.

Two tone paint added $250 to the cost.

It's not a perfect paint job. There is orange peel which can be wet sanded. I figured after I scratched it up a few times I will do the wet sanding.

And there are a few dings which we didn't see before it was painted.

But I am happy with it. Macco wanted more money and they would not paint the inside. They also said it would be too expensive to plug the holes. And they told me they were not sure how nice they could get the fenders.
                Last edited by Jeepstress; 07-17-2009, 02:13 PM.
                82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• SirPaul64
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 04, 2001

ask around maybe you can find a guy that will shoot it for you on the side. My Wag and my postal jeep we found a guy that will shoot it for 100 if you supply the paint. So i spent 250 for a paint job. I had to do all the body work which was a lot but it was well worth it. Body shop i tried wanted 20 k to fix rust sand paint etc etc. We did it all for about 600
                  1947 Willys Pickup
                  2001 Jeep Wrangler
                  2006 Jeep Commander
                  1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• brubakes
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 25, 2009

Will, I love the paint job. It looks great.
                    FSJless.... for now....

Comment

I think some of those shops quote those outrageous numbers because they don't want to mess with it so they figure instead of telling you 'No' they just scare you away.
                      David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                      83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                      10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• SirPaul64
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 04, 2001

yep thats what i figured as well, or if your foolish enough to pay that much will take your money
                        1947 Willys Pickup
                        2001 Jeep Wrangler
                        2006 Jeep Commander
                        1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Chuck Brown
                          327 Rambler
                          • Feb 17, 2008

I hear ya guys, luckily I spoke with the shop owner when I ran into him at the local coffee shop/gas station and explained the situation (he had no idea). Told me not to worry and to come see him Monday and he'll "take care of it".

Ironically, I ran into the body/paint guy on the street 30 minutes later and his tune had changed....BIG TIME.

Always pays to be nice to your neighbors!

Chuck Brown
                          Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
                          Works in progress:
                          1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
                          1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift

Comment

• fullsizejohn
                            258 I6
                            • Nov 20, 2006

I know a lot of folks here good and bad about MAACO but my local MAACO did a great job on a pick up i had a about 3 yeras ago. $500 and it was well worth it. I still see the truck. The paint is holding up great.
                            '77 cj-5,
                            '78 j-10,(not running)
                            '79 J-10 360ci,t400,D300, SOA-D60w/ARB, 14B w/Detroit,4:56s, 37" TRXUS
                            '06 Ford F250 super duty crew cab

Comment

• FSJK
                              258 I6
                              • Feb 12, 2009

I have a buddy that just had his CJ completely repainted (I know, a lot smaller than a FSJ) but he paid $150 for paint online, a single stage from Summit, and had a buddy of his spray it for $100 & a case of beer.

His paint looks nice...it looks flat black from a distance, but there are some metal flakes in it so up close looks even better. Hopefully I can work a deal like that when the time comes!! Heck, I'd pay twice that for an ok job.

Comment

Working...
                              X