International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM

Idles low, runs rough at 1/4 throttle, goes great at 1/2 throttle

After getting fuel today, my rig started running weird. At idle it's barely running. But, coming off the light it spring to life. Then, while holding speed it misfires and runs rough. But if I put my foot into it, runs awesome!

What's the deal? I'm running an Edlebrock intake and carb. It smells lean when idling too. Any ideas?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Smells lean?? I could only smell rich running....

It seems lean because it probably is. When you stomp on it, the accelerator pump is giving it a shot of gas which allows it to run (slightly) better but after that's done, it goes back to being lean.

Did it just start being a problem or has it always been an issue?

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Could be bad gas

Or maybe a vacum leak.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

Does it only run well if you are actually moving the throttle open? Or does it run well at heavy load with the throttle held open steady?

If it's the latter then I think the power valve has gone bad or stuck open making it rich.
At light throttle and idle the engine needs a leaner mixture, but because the power valve is enriching, it runs poorly. Once you step on it, the engine needs more fuel anyway, and that is the time when the power valve would be open, so it runs fine then.

If it's the first one then it's running lean. Probably a plugged passage in the carb.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Last edited by FSJunkie : 02-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJunkie
Does it only run well if you are actually moving the throttle open? Or does it run well at heavy load with the throttle held open steady?

If it's the latter then I think the power valve has gone bad or stuck open making it rich.
At light throttle and idle the engine needs a leaner mixture, but because the power valve is enriching, it runs poorly. Once you step on it, the engine needs more fuel anyway, and that is the time when the power valve would be open, so it runs fine then.

If it's the first one then it's running lean. Probably a plugged passage in the carb.

Did you read the thread? I don't think Edlebrocks have PV's do they ??????

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 PM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
Did you read the thread? I don't think Edlebrocks have PV's do they ??????
I wouldn't know, I'm not an aftermarket parts type guy. If it does have a diaphram type power valve, it's what I would first suspect for rich running. Mixture needles might be pulled out all the way if it has them, who knows..... But I suspect something is making it too rich and it doesn't sound like a choke.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 PM

probably bad gas. sticking a fill nozzle in the fill hole usually doesn't blow powervalves and pull needles out of jets....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 PM
350 Buick

Bad gas would depend on how long it was sitting, right? I would suspect plugged fuel filters or maybe a slightly leaky fuel pump. Just my .02. I had a similar problem and these fixes helped me, but i'm running a 258 with a carter BBD

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

no it wouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruner1981jpce
Bad gas would depend on how long it was sitting, right? I would suspect plugged fuel filters or maybe a slightly leaky fuel pump. Just my .02. I had a similar problem and these fixes helped me, but i'm running a 258 with a carter BBD

Quote After getting fuel today,

Is how he got the bad gas

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
Quote After getting fuel today,

Is how he got the bad gas
ohhhh.... right. leave it to me to not see that

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12
Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

I wished i never missed anything but that is a good way to get it probably water.

It could be trash. That was a dead give away. A lot of people wouldn't catch it & a lot of stations get away with it because no one complains. Kind of like restaruants. I've seen guys replace the entire fuel system & still have the same problems because they never got rid of the bad gas. Just drive it out & refill & it will probably go away.

Edlebrocks don't have Power valves & power valves only effect lower rpm. So it wasn't that. It could be other issues but it is probably just that simple.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Last edited by serehill : 02-22-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 PM

More details... This has never happened before. Aside from blowby and a little smoke on a warm restart, it runs great.

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but the gas station attendant (can't pump your own gas in Oregon) did the ol inverted nozzle trick and crammed $50 in really super fast.

One other thing, I have 2 tanks but only one filler hole, not sure how that works...

Also, I replaced my tranny mount yesterday and removed the crossmember that has some sort of fuel line part mounted on it. Could moving that around caused a problem?

Last thing, I did notice the problem just before getting gas. We had just driven into town and were in a 35mph zone holding steady.

It runs best under a load.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

ya that changes thing although we can only suppose.

With this age vehicle you could have broken cracked some fuel lines moving the older rubber aroung. That would react like this. This could be either at the rear or front I would check all your lines very closely. Sounds like an overall hunt of the systen is in order. Good luck.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Shifting to low causes the problem

Okay, so I let the rig sit overnight and it fired up and ran like a champ this morning. Drove into town (9 miles), no problems. Drove through town, no problem. I had to drive up a steep, bumpy driveway so I shifted it into low (the transfer case and the tranny - just for giggles), got to the top of the first steep section and shifted the tranny back into drive. It did great.

But, when I got to a second steep part of the hill, I dropped it into low rather suddenly. I meant to go into 2 but overshot when I hit a bump. The rig lurched under the compression and started doing the misfiring with even throttle and low idling. I drove it back home in regular hi-range/drive mode and it's still running rough under light load.

Looking back on yesterday, I drove the rig in a similar manner (shifting to low on the tranny but not the t-case though). In fact, I drove up the same driveway... Maybe I need to not go up my friend's driveway!

If I rev it in the driveway, it runs rough at all RPM. Putting a load on it is the only thing that causes it to run properly.

If I've got two inline fuel filters, I'm not sure how I could get anything into the fuel system to cause this. And, if it was bad gas or a clogged line, then it would run poorly under a load as well, right?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:31 PM

If you put the transmission in gear and rev the engine against the transmission (with your foot on the brake so the truck doesn't move), does it run better or still run as rough as it did with "no load"?

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.