• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty76
    258 I6
    • Jul 15, 2018

Gas tank question

Hi. In the holy quest to get my Wagoneer up and running without buying too much replacement part I took my original metal gas tank to get cleaned and refurnished.
    The shop mentioned that It would end up being around $600-800. I believe this tank is very rancid inside but no leaks. Have anybody used some of the kits that you can DIY tanks? The other option is just buy a new one from BJ. Its pretty spendy to get it shipped up here to Canada. The BJ tank might be the only option as these lock rings seem to be "locked on"...

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated..
    1976 Jeep Wagoneer
    Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
    Still not running. Soon!
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

not to say it will not work

but I have heard of some tank resto systems
    that once the owner cleaned the tank, then coated with the product that coats the inside,.....

years later the coating broke free and clogged the fuel system

I have never looked at BJ's tanks
    but my first opinion is if new is available
    get a new one

you don't want to spend 800+ with the possibility of failure down the road.

again, this is just my opinion.
    dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
      not to say it will not work

but I have heard of some tank resto systems
      that once the owner cleaned the tank, then coated with the product that coats the inside,.....

years later the coating broke free and clogged the fuel system
      +1
      Unless you have some rare exotic un-replaceable $$$ fuel tank that is leaking/rusted/porous stay away from pour-in goop liners. Some of that crap may work "for awhile"? If it's not applied correctly and stuck to absolutely clean dry metal it will fail and screw your fuel system more than any loose rust deposits could ever dream of. By "clean" I mean no rust, no acid, no cleaner residue or it don't stick for long. You're just postponing grief. NO WAY would I spend $600-800 to goop save a rusted FSJ tank when replacements are avail. Talk with a local shop to build you a new tank. If you can work-up/provide a good diagram/blueprint the shop can use I'll bet they can build you a new one from new sheetmetal or alum plate for $800. It's been a while so material/labor costs have changed but I've had a pro shop build "two(L&R)" hull contoured to fit 250 gal ea. dsl saddle tanks with fill/balance/drain bungs for a commercial fish boat for $1000 (from new 1/2" alum plate). Other option would be to horizontally cut your tank in half and physically clean it it out to bare shiny metal and weld it back together. Yeah shipping costs suck in 2019. Who knew truckers need to eat and live in houses too?
      If you care about and depend on your FSJ...screw the DIY pour-in goop repair.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• fsj454
        Long time member
        • Jan 02, 2015

AERO TANK

I am running a aero tank 29 gallons it is a rear tank that goes where the spare tire was .
        1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

I used the Hirsch tank coating for my CJ-6, and it has been fine for more than a decade.

NB I cleaned the tank really well, used their etch product, and it took all of a mid-summer hot weather weekend to complete the process. They have instructions using their products, but I used an industrial detergent instead of theirs.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rusty76
            258 I6
            • Jul 15, 2018

Thanks everybody. Might just have to wait another month and bite the bullet on a new poly tank. I'm tempted to try the hirsch stuff but for me low risk, high consequence.
            1976 Jeep Wagoneer
            Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
            Still not running. Soon!

Comment

Working...
            X