• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RussellS
    232 I6
    • Apr 25, 2010

1975 J10 Rear shackles

Ok im doing a skyjacker 4 inch lift on my 1975 jeep J10 and the rear shackles are not coming off. I have used pickle forks a sledge and a darn crow bar. Is there any way to take the shackles and spring out together with out haveing to cut the whole thing off of the truck? Im pretty sure the bushings have welded to the darn post.
    '75 J10 half a 4"lift, 360 v8, turbo 400, quadratrac, and 32" tall tires on 15" rims.
  • RussellS
    232 I6
    • Apr 25, 2010

Ok well i still havent got the rear springs off my truck but i did get the bed off woot woot lol. Any one got any type of suggestion on getting them off ive already tried every thing sept cutting them off which the pas side will def need done since it wont come off at either end.

The driver side on the other hand came off the post which is nice i just got to either drill out the rear shackle mount and mount it back up with grade 8 bolts or weld the sob in and bolt it up. If anyone have any ideas ill listen im just at a stand still really till i can get them off.
    '75 J10 half a 4"lift, 360 v8, turbo 400, quadratrac, and 32" tall tires on 15" rims.

Comment

• threepiece
      350 Buick
      • Sep 17, 2005

I made a puller attachment for my hydraulic jack unit (portapower). If you don't have a hydraulic unit you could use some threaded rod, I would recomend a 7/8-14 or 1-14 thread.
      Dan
      FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
      We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
      We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
      Resistance is not futile yet.
      Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

Post mount rear suspensions can be a real bear to remove after 30 some years. Mine were so frozen to the posts I had to remove the spring and shackle as a unit.
        I did this with two jaw type pullers, one on each post. It probably took the good portion of a day with the driver side bushings finally seperating from the bushing and the inner portion of the bushings still fused to the post. From there I was able to clean off some rubber, find the seam and beat the heck out of it with an air chisel. It involved lots of PB Blaster and chiseling in both directions (clockwise and counterclockwise, back and forth), eventually it started to slip and seperate.

Hope yours come off a bit easier than that.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• cocurtiss
          258 I6
          • Jan 04, 2010

Spray some lube in there!
          1981 J20

soa/sf
          36x12.5x16.5 Goodyear Military oz
          no rust!

Comment

• RussellS
            232 I6
            • Apr 25, 2010

Well i got the front part off of the truck guys but what sucks is i just found out the sky jacker 4" lift kit i bought doesnt fit my truck at all in the rear. So now i have to figure out what will happen if i put my rear springs under the frame or ill have to basicly get a machine shop make the posts smaller.

So now im going to have to either learn how to weld or if any of yall are in the state of washington I'd be willing to compensate the person in food beer and some cash.

Oh and the metal bushing was rusted to the post so bad i had to cut the front part of the rear spring off of the post with a grinder so basicly i cant use the stock springs now lol.

Oh and if i have to mount the rear under the frame what all will i need to complete this project?
            Last edited by RussellS; 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• threepiece
              350 Buick
              • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by RussellS
              Well i got the front part off of the truck guys but what sucks is i just found out the sky jacker 4" lift kit i bought doesnt fit my truck at all in the rear. So now i have to figure out what will happen if i put my rear springs under the frame or ill have to basicly get a machine shop make the posts smaller.

So now im going to have to either learn how to weld or if any of yall are in the state of washington I'd be willing to compensate the person in food beer and some cash.

Oh and the metal bushing was rusted to the post so bad i had to cut the front part of the rear spring off of the post with a grinder so basicly i cant use the stock springs now lol.

Oh and if i have to mount the rear under the frame what all will i need to complete this project?
              Why are you considering putting the rear springs under the frame?
              FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
              We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
              We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
              Resistance is not futile yet.
              Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by RussellS
                Well i got the front part off of the truck guys but what sucks is i just found out the sky jacker 4" lift kit i bought doesnt fit my truck at all in the rear. So now i have to figure out what will happen if i put my rear springs under the frame or ill have to basicly get a machine shop make the posts smaller....
                74-75 are the odd years for rear springs.
                Moving the rear springs under the frame is done by folks to match the lift from a front SOA, it's actually a little higher than the 76+ shackle flip, so I'm guessing about 6.5" with stock springs. Use 4" lift springs to do it and you can see where the math is headed.
                I also don't think it's wise to have the post made smaller, you would have to take them to 9/16", might not even be able to get them that small and I don't think they will support the rig that way.

If the lift springs match the length of your old springs you should be able to find a spring shop and just have them replace the bushings to match the size of your existing posts.
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• HellCreek
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 11, 2007

Some lift kit companies won't tell you or don't know that the 1974-75 rear springs are different, since the front springs are the same. We and BJ's are the only ones I know that stock rear springs for those years.

As for removal, Tad's solution is about the only one I know that will work without destroying the posts. Use with lots of PB Blaster and lots of patience.

-Tom

Comment

• dajeeps
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 19, 2008

i had the same issue on the 73 crewcab.i sprayed it with pb blaster then pounded the shackle up and down with a dead blow hammer.untill it was moving freely.
                    as for the hellcreek suspension lift it did give at least 4'' s of lift
                    82 wagoneer dd
                    73 j4000 crewcab project

Comment

• RussellS
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 25, 2010

Well i know if your carefull with a grinder you can get the front part of the rear springs off that way. Now the rear parts will be a diff story lol.

But do yall know how much it will cost to get the bushings pressed out and new ones pressed in? I'm on a really short budget now that i got most of the parts to restore this rig, and make it a offroad/onroad truck.

Comment

• Tad
                        • Nov 30, 2001

Do you have a local spring shop?
                        Prices vary with location and population. Where I live (GMA =500K) I have several to choose from. I do my own bushings for the most part but IIRC I paid about $6-7 per bushing and $40 labor, that's with me taking apart the spring pack, dropping off and picking them up. Probably 10-11 years ago.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• RussellS
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 25, 2010

I dont know if theres one around i never really looked. I guess ill have to get on google and start looking along with useing the yellow pages i guess.

So basicly i have to take the spring pack apart and take the one leaf with the loop to the shop for them to press a new bushing in?

Comment

• Tad
                            • Nov 30, 2001

You don't have to take them apart but they are a lot easier to move around that way.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• HellCreek
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 11, 2007

Tad,

What bushing did you use for the 1 inch post mount on the 1974-75 rear springs? I am curious because I have not found a rubber bushing that will fit a 1 inch post and the 2 inch spring eye found on the 1976 + rear springs. The 1 inch post mount bushing that we use has a 1-3/4 inch outside diameter.

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X