• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78 Arizona Chief
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 06, 2004

I agree with Tgreese,
    Lets all keep in mind that our front shafts that we consider short are still 2x as long at a CJ rear or a Wrangler rear and they did not come with CVs. At a lifted height, the front angle of a low pinion Dana 44 pinion joint is way off. At speeds anything under freeway speeds, the t-case isn't going to care about the front shaft angle. The yolks are different, but it is as simple as getting a rear yolk and putting it on the front.

What is you thinking here Will E? Is your shaft going out and you are needing to get a new one, or is your CV maxing out in it's working angle at full front axle droop?
    Kevin
    \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

• will e
      Always Broke
      • Nov 16, 2001

I am trying to figure out the 'cheapest' path to an Atlas 4spd and some one tons. If I do it axles then atlas or atlas then axles then I might have to pay to do the shafts twice. (as opposed to doing both at the same time) but that's a serious cash outlay all at once. I am also thinking 'spare driveshaft' options during the eventual conversion...
      82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Heimeken
        304 AMC
        • Nov 29, 2000

I put the one tons first, used the same shafts with a conversion joint on the 14 bolt side. The front 60 came with 1310 joints, so no change there. Get new shafts when you put in the atlas.
        '85 Grand Wagoneer "Caterpillar"
        401, NV4500, 3/4 ton gear

'79 Cherokee "The Sandgorgon"
        One Tons, SOA,T18 on 40's

78 J10 "Imoteb"
        J20 running gear and axles

Comment

• Tad
          • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by will e
          I am trying to figure out the 'cheapest' path to an Atlas 4spd and some one tons...
          Can you use "cheapest" and "atlas" in the same sentence and not choke a little

But seriously here's my take on this having dealt with 5-6 different shafts & modifications since 2006.
          You are already SOA so height will not be changing with the 1-tons.
          When you put the 1-tons in your shafts are actually going to need to be shortened, the larger diff's will move the yokes towards the transfer case.
          At that point go with conversion joints and shortening the shafts, unless you want to leave it parked until the Atlas goes in.
          When you do the Atlas you are now faced with some choices on either yokes and u-joints or flanges and double cardans, I'm sure there are other possibilities also.

The Atlas will come with 32-pine outputs, your existing yokes will probably swap over. I say probably because I don't have an Atlas but I have swapped my yokes/flanges front to rear, upgraded to a 1410 yoke in back then switched to a flange with a 1350 double cardan when I shoved the engine back 2".

Did you find your axles yet?
          Ford HP D60 will relieve a lot of that angle but if it was me I would try to plan it to wind up with a 1350 double cardan up front.
          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
          Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• will e
            Always Broke
            • Nov 16, 2001

Sounds more and more like I will need to do it all at once. I was kind of 'dreaming' of getting an atlas now and keeping an eye out for the axles.

There is a guy in Tucson with a d60 ford. HP and right perch/wms. He's on craigslist and wants 1550. He won't send me a pic so I will keep looking. It has 4.10 gears, which is where I think I will end up.

Driveshaft work is never 'cheap' so I don't want to spend money shortening, changing, etc more than once.

One thing I guess I don't understand. When you order an ATLAS you select both a read and front yoke (1310, 1330, 1350, etc and either CV or non-CV). So I am assuming it comes with them.

I need to learn patience...
            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Tad
              • Nov 30, 2001

Email me the link to the CL ad and I will see if they are convenient enough for me to look at this weekend.
              I have been checking pretty regularly for you and have only spotted the wider perch versions.
              2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
              Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

Sweet, I sent you an email. He has it listed in Phoenix Craigslist. But made some mistakes in the ad.

Comment

Working...
                X