• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CutterN55
    350 Buick
    • Mar 09, 2009

Any quality differences on R&P brands?

Trying to get a new 4.10 Thick gear set for my rear axle.

Is there any real differences in the quality between say US Gears and Yukons or other popular brands?

I'm looking at Yukons (4.11T) and I want a set that can take a beating. I am running a full spool and 36" bias ply Goodyear R/T's.
    Last edited by CutterN55; 02-16-2012, 10:18 AM.
    ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
    Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
    Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
    new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
    37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!
  • 247pia
    258 I6
    • Nov 14, 2010

Yukon are decent gears but I tend to lean towards Superior Gears.

The biggest difference I have seen is set-up. The more expensive the gear set, the easier they are to set up.

OE gears are quiet and made well but expensive where as after market gears are cheaper but can be noisy. Depending on what it's going in noise may not be a problem. They are not that loud.

Superior makes OE spec gears that are quiet if you want that.

Whatever your choice you will get good life out of a gear set if they are set-up and broken in properly.

I know you have heard, and I hear it all of the time from my drag race buddies. "You don't need to break in gears just run em" "we never have any problems".

All I can say is, what does it hurt to break them in?
    79 Cherokee 360, T-18, Dana 20, Locked tons. I give up.
    08 Liberty, 97 Z71

Comment

• CutterN55
      350 Buick
      • Mar 09, 2009

Well, it's spooled so break in will be rough. As far as strength goes...I'm going to be beating the crap out of these gears and I'm not ready to spend the money on bigger axles. Need a good gear that's going to hold up.

'89 GW deceased
      Ford 4spd swap Np435/205

Comment

• jeeping1974
        360 AMC
        • Jun 17, 2007

Richmond, Yukon, Spicer, Motive gears are all good gears. I prefer Richmond over all.

USA Standard, US gear and N2 I will never use again. They were a pain to setup. USA Standard even says in their discription "USA standard gears are not recommended for quiet running vehicles" if that tells you anything.
        03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
        06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• 247pia
          258 I6
          • Nov 14, 2010

If I was running what's in your sig. I would install 5.13's.

Just put 5.13's in my friends 1 ton Chevy. He took off the 42's and put 35's on so he could break the gears in. SM 465 tranny with a 454 ci. Seemed just right gearing for off road use but when the 42's go in it will feel like a dog.

3.08 to 3.73 hardly notice a difference
          3.73 to 4.10 hardly notice a difference
          4.56 to 5.13 hardly notice a difference

See where this is going.

5.13's will put you about 2500 RPM at 55 MPH with a 36" tire.
          4.10's about 2100 RPM
          08 Liberty, 97 Z71

Comment

• CutterN55
            350 Buick
            • Mar 09, 2009

247pia- I'm not going with a different gear ratio. 4.10's with 36's are sweet for cruisin' and I've got all the grunt I need in the transmission.
            My jeep ain't a dog whatsoever. 5.13's would have my RPMs screamin again. 65mph would put me at 3100rpm's

I found a set of Dana/Spicer 4.10 Thick gears for $259. Think I may purchase them.

'89 GW deceased
            Ford 4spd swap Np435/205

Comment

• 247pia
              258 I6
              • Nov 14, 2010

Originally posted by CutterN55
              247pia- I'm not going with a different gear ratio. 4.10's with 36's are sweet for cruisin' and I've got all the grunt I need in the transmission.
              My jeep ain't a dog whatsoever. 5.13's would have my RPMs screamin again. 65mph would put me at 3100rpm's

I found a set of Dana/Spicer 4.10 Thick gears for $259. Think I may purchase them.
              I hear ya.

Yeah I forgot about the Dana/Spicer which are probably the best gears
              08 Liberty, 97 Z71

Comment

• alwomac
                232 I6
                • Aug 06, 2009

OE Dana Spicer gears are the best money can buy. They set up in a snap and break in and wear incredible. Richmond also makes a nice piece. That is what I have in my 60 and they set up really well with a nice mesh. The front axle has a Yukon set and I only bought it because it was $50 with a master install kit new but I wish I would've paid for a better gear set. I bet I pulled it 50+ times to get a decent pattern and never was totally satisfied with it and it is noisy and yes I know how to set up gears properly. Also on a side note, 247pia suggested 5.13s but in a 44 the pinion is very small. I would worry about 5.13s in anything but tons. I know lots of guys running 5.13s in the JK 44s and even the 30s with 37" tires but I would be nervous with any kind of rough stuff. My 4.88s in the front axle even worry me a bit with the size of the pinion. I don't have any experience with Superior gears but have heard they are a good quality piece also. For me, anything that will see street time or DD use I go with OE Dana Spicer.
                Aaron Womack

1978 Cherokee 360, 400/QT, HD44, Dana 60, 4.88's, locked, 36s on H1s, SOA/SF, high steer, Rancho RS5000's (14" front/11" rear travel) lots of dents

Comment

• CutterN55
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 09, 2009

Well the shop ordered Motives, I've heard good things about them. I would have bought the Spicers if not.

'89 GW deceased
                  Ford 4spd swap Np435/205

Comment

• dusty
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by alwomac
                    OE Dana Spicer gears are the best money can buy. They set up in a snap and break in and wear incredible. Richmond also makes a nice piece. That is what I have in my 60 and they set up really well with a nice mesh. The front axle has a Yukon set and I only bought it because it was $50 with a master install kit new but I wish I would've paid for a better gear set. I bet I pulled it 50+ times to get a decent pattern and never was totally satisfied with it and it is noisy and yes I know how to set up gears properly. Also on a side note, 247pia suggested 5.13s but in a 44 the pinion is very small. I would worry about 5.13s in anything but tons. I know lots of guys running 5.13s in the JK 44s and even the 30s with 37" tires but I would be nervous with any kind of rough stuff. My 4.88s in the front axle even worry me a bit with the size of the pinion. I don't have any experience with Superior gears but have heard they are a good quality piece also. For me, anything that will see street time or DD use I go with OE Dana Spicer.

you can install jk rear dana 44 R&p's into a std dana 44 housing

search under 608.9 or pm me and i'll give you the bearing numbers. you need a 3 series carrier and a have to stack some spacers under the pinion head but everything else is standard setup stuff

The 608.9 My Front 60/44 hybrid + some build begins: Since i got a couple of PM's recommending i post a seperate thread regarding this I guess Im going to start one. there isnt a whole lot to cover and i was posting pictures in my jeep build thread but what the heck. heres my bonified full on polished turd for a front end. As

the jk dana 44 4.88 pinion head is the same size as a dana 60 4.88 pinion head

I preffer dana spicer first and then superior, though motive also has nice gear sets
                    Last edited by dusty; 02-19-2012, 07:19 AM.
                    Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
                    The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• jeeping1974
                      360 AMC
                      • Jun 17, 2007

Originally posted by CutterN55
                      Well the shop ordered Motives, I've heard good things about them. I would have bought the Spicers if not.
                      I've installed quite a few Motive gear sets. They setup nice and seem to last. If they don't for whatever reason, price a set of Richmond gears against the Spicer. They may be cheaper since they are not "factory replacements" but are just as good if not better IMO.
                      03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
                      06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                      X