X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • incommando

s10 Gearbox swap-good company

Lee manufacturing. 818-768-0371

I called them about the adapters for a gear box swap, and instead of selling me two adapters he just told me that the lines will fit & work fine when switching boxes.

I have a 1997 4x4 S10 box coming ( $50 shipped). It is only 63 miles from me, but with gas the way it is it was cheaper to UPS it!

My driveway will be all confused without PS fluid ( who am I kidding: ATF) leaking all over it.

Wow, if he'll sell them for $50 a pop that's an awesome deal. Is that rebuilt or just pulled off a truck?

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
      Disciple of A.M.C.
      • Aug 19, 2002

That's about what I was selling them for when I got some for people on here.

If you're putting this in a '79, remember you have to convert to the metric o-ring style hoses.
      Jason Davis
      '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
      '85 J-10 (parts)
      '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• incommando

$50 is a used part with shipping. It is a modern-type yard with everything removed and stored, so it might be in decent shape.

SOmeplaces are wanting $150 for a scrap yard box

Now I am confused again. I called Lee Manufacturing & explained that I wanted to put the new box on the '79 & need the adapters to make the original hoses ( only about 1 yr old) work with the new box. He said that for '79 & newer nothing was needed but to bolt it on?? He said that the fittings would work.

Help?

Comment

• Elliott
          Cowboy Up
          • Jun 22, 2002

They are wrong, Metric 0-ring is 1980+.
          *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
          ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

Check your fittings. '79/'80 being the change-over years anything is possible. More than likely, though, you need the fittings.

aa
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Tad
              • Nov 30, 2001

It's 1980, but it's also not that big a deal to get that one line made up (the high pressure one).
              I just had my HB lines done at a local rad shop for like $30 - $35 each.
              I forget, one was more, one was less.
              Anywho, it's not a big deal.
              2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
              Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• incommando

I guess I will try to call Lee again tomorrow. My hoses on it are less than a year old. If I can get adapters for $15 or so, I'd rather do that.

If I need to get hoses made ( I've never done this) will they have the fittings or will I need to bring them some stuff to work with?

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

What is a little misleading about the adaptors to a metric o-ring port is that you are still going to need to cut the end of your brake hose off. You will need to put a metric threaded nut on the end of it and then put a flare back on it before you can hook it up to the steering box. You can have that done at a shop or you can buy a flare tool, if you buy the tool... get the one that tightens with a wrench and put it in a vise. Just don't forget to put the metric threaded nut back on the hose before you re-flare it.
                  *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                  ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• pb
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 28, 2003

You can change the fitting on the back of the pump/res with a new oring one from a newer vehicle to work with the oring hoses and save some cash. If you do there is a surprise that wants to shoot out if you are careful in swapping.
                    Paul
                    1975 Wagoneer DD
                    360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by pb
                      You can change the fitting on the back of the pump/res with a new oring one from a newer vehicle to work with the oring hoses and save some cash. If you do there is a surprise that wants to shoot out if you are careful in swapping.
                      Are you positive on that? The pump is stamped "metric" those valves come out of... those external threads would be metric I'd think...

Comment

• pb
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 28, 2003

It screwed right in for me. I'll try to go out and look since it's been a few years since I swapped it but no problems/leaks.
                        Paul
                        1975 Wagoneer DD
                        360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
                          Disciple of A.M.C.
                          • Aug 19, 2002

Originally posted by Elliott
                          Are you positive on that? The pump is stamped "metric" those valves come out of... those external threads would be metric I'd think...
                          The one's I've swapped, the pressure line fitting swaps back and forth with no problems, I think only the inside threads for the line itself changed to metric, not the pump. Could probably cross reference the pump pretty easily to make sure there is no difference.
                          Jason Davis
                          '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
                          '85 J-10 (parts)
                          '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Cool, I was thinking to try that someday... it does not work at the steering box however.

Comment

• Long&Low
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 03, 2008

Anybody got pics of an S10 box in their truck?
                              Breakfast amounts to one live toad, I choke that mofo down, and I am rest assured that nothing worse will happen to me for the rest of the day.

CJ truck project
                              '18 Jeep Renegade
                              '15 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X