• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subic Jeep
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 03, 2007

GM TBI more power needed

Got a GM TBI on a SBC 350 V8 need more power My Cherokee is heavy over 7000 lbs and on 39.5 inch rubbers.

I was thinking of adding a TBI UNIT: 670 CFM Holley 2-bbl with 80lb/hr Injector

Holley 670 CFM adapted for use with Howell or GM wiring harness and ECM. Uses special Howell calibration PROM. Includes idle speed control by ECM. Suitable for high-RPM small block application and low performance big blocks. With 80 lb./hr. injectors.

This is a investment of 450$ plus the chip 250$ ....

Your comments please!
    Lars

I am in the five bananas category!
    Cherokee 1981 officially 1974 huh local irony
    Gen 1 GM-SB 350 V8 TBI - TH400 - Klune V - Twin stick NP205 w. Nippon shifter
    Dana 60 w. ARB locker, hydraulic assist + GM 14FF w. Detroit locker.4-link rear on LC80 19mm coils
    Rancho 5036 Shocks 14 inch travel. 39.5x15.5x15 TSL
  • okjeep
    258 I6
    • Jan 08, 2008

Don't do it. Look at the upsized unit from CFM-Tech (http://www.cfm-tech.com/). I ran this on my TBI zz4 vortec'd head 350. Gears will be the remaining factor to getting it to move easier.

Comment

• Billygoat
      304 AMC
      • Mar 16, 2004

What year is your donor computer?

You can do what needs to be done to be able to tweak and update your programs for not a lot a cash and get more power out of your existing hardware. If you get PE (Power enrichment) to kick on when it should it will help you out a lot. Plus actually dial in your program for the chero instead of the donor.

You can also drop 454 injectors in your TBI - same base unit.

Comment

• Subic Jeep
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 03, 2007

Originally posted by okjeep
        Don't do it. Look at the upsized unit from CFM-Tech (http://www.cfm-tech.com/). I ran this on my TBI zz4 vortec'd head 350. Gears will be the remaining factor to getting it to move easier.
        Thanks for the reply!

Gears is not an option at the moment.

Is there something wrong with the Holley unit?

Yes, I have looked at the CFM-Tech products, (my first choice before I found the Holley) Adding all the parts for CMF, its as expensive as the Holly unit. Remember I would have to pay 150$ for the core.
        Lars

Dana 60 w. ARB locker, hydraulic assist + GM 14FF w. Detroit locker.4-link rear on LC80 19mm coils

Comment

• Subic Jeep
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 03, 2007

Sorry far away from my Cherokee, I am at work now, for two months more, before I can pull my computer to see what chip it has. Taught I had a picture but, it does not show the label on the cover of the EMC. grrr

I am not going to have time to learn to tweak my computer, just want to see a explosion in power

The engine is a 350 years 69-79 basis the casting numbers on the block. Just overhauled it, all bearings renewed pistons and crank shaft are original.

New camshaft COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 Cam and Lifter Kits
          Part Number CL12-239-3
          Basic Operating RPM Range 1,300-5,600
          Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 218
          Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 226
          Duration at 050 inch Lift 218 int./226 exh.
          Advertised Intake Duration 262
          Advertised Exhaust Duration 270
          Advertised Duration 262 int./270 exh.
          Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.462 in.
          Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.480 in.
          Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.462 int./0.480 exh.
          Lobe Separation (degrees) 111
          Grind Number CS X4 262H-11

Rocker Arm Style Roller tip 1:1.5

Product Line RHS Pro Action Small Block Chevrolet Cylinder Heads
          Summit Racing Part Number RHS-12002-02
          UPC 036584134909

Cylinder Head Style Assembled
          Cylinder Head Material Aluminum
          Cylinder Head Finish Natural
          Combustion Chamber Volume (cc) 72
          CNC-Machined Combustion Chamber No
          Intake Runner Volume (cc) 180cc
          Exhaust Runner Volume (cc) 74cc
          CNC-Machined Intake Runner No
          CNC-Machined Exhaust Runner No
          Intake Port Shape Rectangular
          Intake Port Location Standard
          Exhaust Port Shape Rectangular
          Exhaust Port Location Standard
          Spark Plug Style Angle
          Intake Valves Included Yes
          Intake Valve Diameter (in) 2.020 in.
          Exhaust Valves Included Yes
          Exhaust Valve Diameter (in) 1.600 in.
          Valve Springs Included Yes
          Maximum Valve Lift (in) 0.550 in.
          Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in) 1.430 in.

Axle gearing 4.56
          Lars

Comment

• Subic Jeep
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 03, 2007

From Pirate

Quote:
            Originally Posted by painter66
            Couple things I like about the Powerjection;

One you can get into the computer to tune it. It was just the other day my son and I were looking at it and we discovered the the engine like 13.5 instead of 14.whatever at idle. My son (the Honda guru) said to me that doesn't make sense. I just looked at him and said it sounds better doesn't it it's a big block not a Honda LOL. You can data log with this system look at whats going on and change it in very minute increments. If you have a chip burned your stuck with it. What if you change something on the engine? Hey how about this you change to a completely different engine or you sell your buggy and build another one. Put the Powerjection on and off you go. There is something said for simplicity (It's simple). Why wouldn't you want something that is completely tunable?? Why let someone else guess about the tune for your engine? Yep it will run when you get the computer back or down load thee generic tune, but is it running as good as it could?

here's why. most people cannot/do not/have no idea how to tune "correctly"
            you risk not getting the most potential out of your engine, or worse.... hurting it.

Don't let this stop the discussion
            Lars

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

The only reason to go to different (bigger) injectors is if you are maxing out the duty cycle. According to the interweb, you're supposed to stay below 80-85% duty cycle.

You could bump up your fuel pressure for an inexpensive way to get more fuel to the engine. I'm running the regular (350) throttle body on my 401 and have plenty of power. I'm also running the 454 injectors, however.

Look into getting your own tuning hardware/software. $250 for a mail order tune is ridiculous, IMHO. For less than that, you can get all the hardware/software to do it yourself all day long.
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• derf
                360 AMC
                • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by Subic Jeep
                Is there something wrong with the Holley unit?
                It's just overpriced for what you get. Other than that, nothing really wrong with it.

There's cheaper and better ways to bump up the power. A 454 TB with a little time tuning it will give you more than that Holley can for less money.
                Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• Subic Jeep
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 03, 2007

I probably could not find a 454 TBI locally ..... anyhow just need 80lbs injectors. (Post Link???? please)

Increasing the fuel pressure is relatively easy by making the regulator adjustable.

Even a type CMF enlarging the bore is relatively easy with small grinder.

I try to post some pictures but the attachment tool just says too large, even try to re-size still to large. My photobucket account is blocked by organization

Here is a good link:
                  Lars

Comment

• Subic Jeep
                    327 Rambler
                    • Apr 03, 2007

Waters_Howell_TBI_Installation.pdf

One more good link from same source!

Lars

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Overall good info. His tech is wrong on the 4 wire O2 sensor, however. Of the four wires, two are for the heater power and ground, 1 is the sensor wire and the last wire is for sensor ground.
                      Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                        • Mar 20, 2005

One more good link from same source!

http://www.gmceast.com/technical/Wat...stallation.pdf
                        This is an excellent writeup!

Interesting bit about the choke stove! Yikes!
                        Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• Subic Jeep
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 03, 2007

$250 for a mail order tune is ridiculous

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                          $250 for a mail order tune is ridiculous, IMHO.
                          I agree, but it seems to be the norm.

AFI takes $350 for a tune if I remember correctly.

=======================================
                          Cheaper alternative with a lot of options

Have your '86-'02 TBI/TPI/LT1/LT4/L99/LS1 PCM tuned for as little as $100 or $200 shipped!

Custom tune $264

Lars

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                            • Mar 20, 2005

If you're comfortable with a computer, you can burn your own chips for less money. And you can do it over and over again, without worrying and WAITING for shipping. A better deal IMHO, but you need to be comfortable with your computer.
                            Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• Subic Jeep
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 03, 2007

Options......

What is the goal here?
                              1. Get maximum power that the engine can give, as it is mechanically configured now.
                              2. Doing it in a relatively short time, in a week.

Dynamic EFI EBL Flash system + TT-1 WB controller. Howell / Holley 670CFM TBI with 80lbs/hr injectors ( $ 430 + 189 + 450 = $ 1069.00)

The Dynamic EFI EBL + Holley system could probably get the max power the engine can produce, total cost for the system $ 2069. (old AFI $1000.) I could probably get a few hundred back for the GM-TBI-ECM and O2 sensor. Still the total cost is around $1800

The Dynamic EFI EBL Flash system is relative user friendly, but is it doable in a week, I doubt it.
                              Dynamic EFI EBL Flash system has good instructions for their EBL flash system written in a way that so I can understand it.
                              (TBI Tuning part 1 & 2 on their web page)

Fast EZ-EFI® Self Tuning Fuel Injection System (Base kit) $ 1785.00

Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.

Good:
                              As the name says installation is fast. Power gain up to what a GM SB can give (550hp) if you have the right parts in the engine.

Fast EZ-EFI® eliminates the whole learning process of tuning a GM TBI.
                              Wideband Air/Fuel sensor is Included.

Not so good:
                              No ignition control. (MSD Ignition #121-5520 = 135$)
                              Fuel pump not included. (150$)
                              Price very high!

1. What type of ignition systems are compatible with the EZ-EFI®?

Since the EZ-EFI® is a fuel-only system, what ever you have already or would use on a carbureted setup will work. With that being said, the EZ-EFI® needs a very stable/clean TACH/RPM signal. For the best possible performance and elimination of noise issues, we suggest an aftermarket style ignition box. For example; MSD or Accel or any of the aftermarket CD ignition boxes that provide a good TACH output signal. The EZ-EFI® system does come with a Tach Adaptor to allow you get a TACH signal off of the negative terminal of the ignition coil or the TACH terminal of an HEI distributor. Due to that fact that this inductive signal is very noisy and varies with RPM, plug gap, cylinder pressure and so forth, sometimes the Tach Adaptor cannot maintain a clean enough signal for the EZ-EFI® to perform optimally.
                              I think I still have my electronic distributer, not entirely sure I might have given it away?
                              Lars

Comment

Working...
                              X