• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Is my windshield going to leak?

A guy came out to do the install on my windshield. He wanted to put the gasket on the glass and rope it in. I told him the TSM said to put the seal on the windshield flange with a little sealer, putting the top of the glass in first and working it in. We got it in but he said they don't like to put sealer around the body flange and gasket because it makes it harder to replace the glass if it ever breaks. No sealer was used yet. He said they are going to come back out and just seal the glass in the gasket. This does not feel right to me. Should I just pull it back out and start over. The TSM says to use sealer on the flange to gasket and Glass to gasket.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Probably. The sealer that's supposed to be used is butyl not urethane. 3M 08509 is what I used on the quarter windows. It isn't difficult to remove. I'd redo it now rather than waiting and finding I have a leak. I wouldn't I risk a leak on the installation based on a possible replacement in the future, anyway.

I haven't installed mine but based on the removal it doesn't look like it'll be that difficult. With the locking strip peeled back it seems like it'll be easier to install than the quarter windows were.
    Last edited by SJTD; 04-03-2020, 10:21 PM.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

I rust kill the metal under the window rubber to avoid it later.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
      X