hooked up battery terminals wrong-now just clicking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hooked up battery terminals wrong-now just clicking...

A Buddy and I went to go pick up a 89 GW. We decided to jump the battery. This thing had been sitting for 2 years without starting-I put gas down carb and connected the battery terminals. I turned the key and...smoke-coming from area of solenoid? Upon closer inspection realized had hooked up booster pack onto the battery terminals backwards. When I put them correct and turned key it just click, click, click, click..etc. What did I do? What can I do to fix? What is just Clicking? HELP!
  • Jester369
    258 I6
    • Oct 30, 2003

I did that and popped one of the diodes in the alternator. It doesn't sound like what you describe - mine still ran, just wasn't charging - but you might want to check it out after you get it running again.
    Erik

66 J3000 Dually (Clifford the Big Red Dually)
    68 J2000 (UGLYTRK)
    88 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• testuser
      Administrator
      • Apr 09, 2000

smoking solenoid.......usually means a fried solenoid. the clicking you describe DEFINATELY sounds like a dead solenoid.

Comment

• andy d
        Shade Tree Shaman
        • May 06, 2000

stock '89 wag has the mitsu starter and a starter relay. you may have fried the relay or a fusable link. do the idiot lights come on when the key is in the run position? if so cross the big terminals on the relay and the starter should turn over.
        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• ironroad29
          360 AMC
          • Nov 12, 2000

also if its been sitting for 2 years you will need a new battery .
          Looking for a j truck in VA.
          1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
          2004 crown vic LX sport
          1997 2 door Tahoe sport
          preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• testuser
            Administrator
            • Apr 09, 2000

if he fried the fuseable he should not have the clicking IIRC.

Comment

• 2MUD-IN
              350 Buick
              • Jan 31, 2004

When we swapped batteries, we forgot to tighten the positive terminal. When we cranked on the engine, it just clicked, and the positive battery terminal started to smoke. Come to find out that it was arc-ing to make a connection, which was not enough to turn the motor over. Was smoke coming from the battery possibly?

We tightend the terminal, and it fired right up.
              Thanks,
              2MUD-IN.

Comment

• ironroad29
                360 AMC
                • Nov 12, 2000

yup you left that part out ..lol
                2004 crown vic LX sport
                1997 2 door Tahoe sport

Comment

• jode
                  JB Welder
                  • Apr 08, 2002

If that click click click sounds almost like a buzzing, then it is just the starter solenoid telling you that it isn't getting enough juice to hold the relay closed. As soon as the relay closes and the path to the starter (through the big gauge wire) is opened, then all the power is diverted to the starter and there is no longer enough power to hold the starter relay closed, so it opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens, which cuts the path to the starter through the big wires, so all the sudden there is enough power, so it closes, which opens the path to the starter again, which diverts the power so the starter relay opens

....and so-on (making a buzzing/clicking sound)

Get a new battery or recharge the old one and clean off the connections.
                  No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• ironroad29
                    360 AMC
                    • Nov 12, 2000

after 2 years i think the old one is probibly beyond rechageing
                    2004 crown vic LX sport
                    1997 2 door Tahoe sport

Comment

Also you may have toasted something in the booster pack?

Comment

Working...
                      X