• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camduke22
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 08, 2013

Need help. 304 to t18 hook ups

Hey, I have a 1974 J10 with a not original 304. I am switching from a t-15 mated up to a d20. I will be installing in a t-18 back to that d20. I am looking at replacing the flywheel, clutch and clutch plate fork and fork bearing and throw out bearing. If you were doing a dream build what parts would you use? its the 131' wheel base just to throw that out there. I just wonder what parts would you use? Thank you for all the advice

If you are building the motor, have it zero balanced so the flywheel off a six will work.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

zero balancing is spending a lot of money needlessly.

the flywheel you have is fine,have it surfaced,and ring gear put on if needed.

centerforce makes a nice clutch. Zoom makes a decent cheaper clutch.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

I run a centerforce II in mine with the 360/18 combo. Stiff pedal, but I've never looked back on the choice.
        Art
        ASE Master Collision Tech
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

Luk gold clutches are good as well, and much cheaper than centerforce.

Got for an 11" clutch as long as your flywheel has both sets of holes (you'll know if there are two patterns of clutch holes).

aa
          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• camduke22
            230 Tornado
            • Jan 08, 2013

Thanks for the advice guys. Since i am going to have everything off already i am thinking about going to a hydraulic clutch linkage. Would any body suggest against that? Also where do i go to get a flywheel surfaced?

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

most automotive machine shops will do it.

i see no issues with stock linkage in most cases.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Brake boosters tend to be in the way of clutch master cylinders on our rigs. I'm running hydroboost and have enough room for my master, but I don't know how you'd squeeze it in there with a stock vacuum booster.

aa
                1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• camduke22
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jan 08, 2013

I did some measuring and it looks like if i just welded a small piece of metal pointing towards the left it looks like i could fit it in right there. I see hydro-boost kits. Is it just worth upgrading to that?

Comment

• Elliott
                    Cowboy Up
                    • Jun 22, 2002

Hydroboost will add about 1,000 psi to your line pressure at the caliper You can't match that with any vacuum booster.
                    Last edited by Elliott; 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM.
                    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• J20 project
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 27, 2000

I have to agree that replacing the flywheel is pointless. Not sure where the 6 cyl stuff came in here. Using the 304 flywheel w/ a diff trans, right?
                      Even if changing engines from 8 to 6,,just get the right flywheel.
                      Resurface, reuse.
                      Don't necessarily see where a hyd clutch gains anything.

J20 project
                      BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                      775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• camduke22
                        230 Tornado
                        • Jan 08, 2013

Alright Elliot, what would a kit cost me? I am a man on a budget with lots of projects. I read your posting on the brakes but its hard to break down what i need.

Comment

• Woodchomper
                          350 Buick
                          • Dec 17, 2002

If your engine is a 1970 or 71 you will need a different pilot bushing. The 70 and 71 engines also have a different flywheel if you end up replacing that. Bottom line is, since your engine is not original you may want to verify what parts you need before you make any orders. If memory serves me correctly 72 was the year that the crankshaft flange changed.
                          Last edited by Woodchomper; 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM.
                          1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
                          1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• camduke22
                            230 Tornado
                            • Jan 08, 2013

The only numbers i can find on the engine is 304, where could i look to figure out the year?

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

Build code is stamped on a metal tag attached to the pass side valve cover.
                              First digit is year: 4 =71, 5=72 etc.
                              Last edited by joe; 03-21-2013, 08:32 PM.
                              joe
                              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
                              X