International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-12-2020, 07:49 AM
350 Buick

Got it. Btw, I see all your recent pics. Firefox....
Old 02-12-2020, 08:42 AM
350 Buick

I am on safari browser
and pics not showing for me.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 02-12-2020, 10:03 AM
258 I6

I have been able to see all pics so far.

Man I was on the edge of my seat reading your sons first drive there!
Sounds like just your luck to have a minor mishap on the first drive valuable lesson indeed!

Hope it continues to go well for him!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
"Soon" is a relative term, also cracked cylinder put a hurt on me
Old 02-12-2020, 10:33 AM
232 I6

The roof cleaned up nicely!

Sorry to hear that your son's first drive in it gave him an issue; glad it resolved quickly though. He'll build more confidence and get used to the quirks of it the more he drives it.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 02-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Second drive to school today sucked too. He said "The steering locked and I hit a curb"... I translate that to, the engine stalled and power steering went out (in the school parking lot). I will drive it and do a new tune tonight.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-12-2020, 09:35 PM
327 Rambler

I'm working on getting caught up on this thread, great thread by the way, and I see your pics just fine. I'm using Firefox and am logged into my google account.

The under hood light is a pretty cool idea, I'll have to see if I can find one next time I find my way to the junkyard.

It's a shame about the troubles your son had but just think, kids today aren't allowed to experience situations like that any more. That used to be a normal part of driving, break downs, backfires blowing off power brake vacuum lines causing you to have almost no brakes, power steering belts coming off, getting lost...ETC. Most kids today are essentially wrapped in bubble wrap...self driving cars, so they will never learn to drive, GPS so they will never need to know where they are going or how to get back, automatic brakes so they can happily ignore all traffic and sit there texting or whatever brain damaging activity they choose to do rather than actually look where they are going. Driving a classic for your first car builds better people, even though sometimes it can suck.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
I'm working on getting caught up on this thread, great thread by the way, and I see your pics just fine. I'm using Firefox and am logged into my google account.

The under hood light is a pretty cool idea, I'll have to see if I can find one next time I find my way to the junkyard.

It's a shame about the troubles your son had but just think, kids today aren't allowed to experience situations like that any more. That used to be a normal part of driving, break downs, backfires blowing off power brake vacuum lines causing you to have almost no brakes, power steering belts coming off, getting lost...ETC. Most kids today are essentially wrapped in bubble wrap...self driving cars, so they will never learn to drive, GPS so they will never need to know where they are going or how to get back, automatic brakes so they can happily ignore all traffic and sit there texting or whatever brain damaging activity they choose to do rather than actually look where they are going. Driving a classic for your first car builds better people, even though sometimes it can suck.

I second this, being what most consider a youngin' myself, I can honestly say having a older car as my first car helped me learn to drive better and deal with situations most don't ever see. In the short it builds character haha

Still a bummer that it went south 2 days in a row. Not that you have an issue with this, but you can also use this as a father/son bonding. Ragging on old cars and the like is something I cherish with my own dad, as anytime we get together it is nothing but gearhead talk!

Soon to be a 401!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys. I am following you. I just get nervous the next time he hits something, it will be a Tesla (there are lots of them around here), a minivan full of orphans, or a nun pushing a crippled kid on a wheel chair through the cross walk.
Make that 3 days in a row now.
Sitting and having a coffee with my buddy this morning and my phone rings with face time:
I answer: Hi Jamie!
Jamie: Dad, the Jeep won't start
Me: Do you have any lights on the dash?
J: No, nothing.
M: Let me see the dash (swings camera around so I can see the dash). Jamie, you have the check engine light on.
J: Oh. yeah. That's the only one.
M: OK, well, that one light is extremely different than no lights. I'll be home in just a second. Pop the hood.
(hangs up, I head home).
I turn the key, nothing but the flash of the service engine soon light. I wiggle the shift handle, turn the key and fires to life.
M: Make sure it's in park when you try to start it.
J: IT WAS!!! I checked it twice!
M: It was not all the way in Park. Hurry to school, you're going to be late.

Last night I also went back to my tune and poked around a little. I noticed I did have an extra 100RPM when the temp was below 50F, then it went to the normal 650RPM above 50F. It dawned on me the computer was reading coolant temp, not air temp. DUH! Changed idle to 750 anytime the coolant is below 90F, 700RPM when coolant is below 140F, and then it will be at 650RPM total idle speed when coolant is above 140F. Hope that prevents morning stalling until I can get some decent fuel curves built up.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:41 PM
350 Buick

Oh noes!

Mark you have worked so hard on this beautiful Jeep, maybe a Honda might be better for your son?
Old 02-13-2020, 04:02 PM
350 Buick

Best solution would be to install a stick. Every kid needs to learn to drive one.

Or bypass the idiot switch in the column. Never understood why they had them when manuals didn't. Course now manuals do.

My son's Toe yota has a clutch switch bypass on the dash. Imagine that!

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltrockdweller
Oh noes!

Mark you have worked so hard on this beautiful Jeep, maybe a Honda might be better for your son?
I love this Jeep but it's a piece of glass, metal, and plastic to me. I think at this point, he loves it more than I do, honestly. Plus he gets just as much (maybe more) enjoyment out of driving it around than I do. He just drives and enjoys how b@d@$$ it is while I sit and rack up lists of stuff that need fixing, adjusting, painting, replacing, etc.

He wasn't really interested in working on it when I bought it but now that is driving it he nags at my wife for wrenching time more than I do! These little issues have set up impromptu learning lessons. Now he understands basic electrical circuits, how the starter circuit works, the differences between carb/TBI/Multipoint/Direct injection. etc. He would never have gotten that with something reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Best solution would be to install a stick. Every kid needs to learn to drive one.

Or bypass the idiot switch in the column. Never understood why they had them when manuals didn't. Course now manuals do.

My son's Toe yota has a clutch switch bypass on the dash. Imagine that!
Hahaha! Good plan! My kid is enough of an air head, I think in his case, the safety switch did it's job! If that NSS was not there when it stalled the first day, he probably would have started it and lurched into the car in front of him. If it keeps giving us problems, I will keep that in mind, though!
I have been just messing with my BINS lately. I did a BIN on Saturday that drastically improved how it ran. It really motivated me. I told babywag, via text, that that drive (after installing that new BIN) was as exciting and encourgaging as the first time I fired it up. I am out this week on a bidness trip but hope to do some work next weekend.

I hate posts without pics so here is one. I spent about 2 hours last night going through a box of drill bits my grandfather left me when he passed away is 2007. I have been digging through this box since then or using crappy Farbor Height bits for a while and it was wearing on me. Now I have G-pas high quality bits and they are organized by size. Plus, You know, they were my Gpas (I miss him terribly, though he would have hated my Jeep ). I have a drill bit sharpener that works amazing so next step is to sharpen the good ones.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:38 AM
258 I6

Great update! I would say though day 3 was not really a problem so much as it just wanst all the way in park.

Awesome to hear that your son has gotten more into the vehicle! Sometimes it takes having the end in sight to get people excited for a project. (my wife is that way).

Super cool about the drill bits from your grandfather, sorry to hear he passed.
I have been looking for a good set of drill bits, well a good enough set, but a set I wont feel so bad about accidentally braking and having wasted money

Soon to be a 401!
Old 02-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Administrator

True. (day 3)
Came home from travel yesterday. Today I went out to drive my Cherk to a church event and found:

I was ready to choke him! My dash WASSSS perfect and now it has a crack in it!
The spots on the seat will come out but that little er messed up my dash and there is NOTHING I can do about it but look at it and stew. It's a really good thing I was on my way to a church event or I woulda turned around and done things to him some people call CPS for! (not really, but you know... I was thinking about it). It also smells like a giant armpit in there because he has tons of dirty clothes, skateboards, and skateboard parts in there.

Took some data at wide open throttle and for RPMs above 4k. Came home burned another BIN and took a quick verification spin. Much better. My BIN is getting pretty good! It runs really nice around town at this point.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:47 PM
350 Buick

You know, a 40 year old vinyl dash is pretty brittle, how'd he do it?

Maybe it was that junk you guys listen to.

No excuse for not keeping the thing clean.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Last edited by SJTD : 02-22-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Maybe it was that junk you guys listen to.

https://youtu.be/Pn1wFUfn6wQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 02-23-2020, 02:44 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow

My ears are bleeding.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 PM

I have merely begun to dig into the Ristow playlist...

Quote:

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 02-23-2020, 07:40 PM
350 Buick

Good to know. I'll get my cotton balls now. Lol!
Old 02-23-2020, 08:19 PM

Lol!! Ok back to scheduled programming , Rang.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 02-23-2020, 10:22 PM
Administrator

I've heard worse songs than that.
I put about 100 miles on my Jeep this weekend. My son put about 200 on it in the last 2 weeks. This is the most driving this Jeep has had in DECADES. When I got it, the stickers were 1996 and from what I could tell, that was probably the last time it drove regularly. It's running pretty darn good.

Did another hard drive to get data at RPMs above 4K. When I did that on Friday, there was lots of popping and it was super sluggish. This tune had a little popping and a little more pep (but was still sluggish). The tune is looking nice. Around town, it runs like I would expect it; smooth. If you are not paying attention, you do not hear the lump in the cam, but if you are listening for it, you hear it. Just right.

Got a spare TH400 governor (THANK YOU Asphaltrockdweller!!!) cleaned it up and took inventory of it. Hopefully I can compare it to the one in my truck later this week.

If I lighten the outer weights, it should shift at WOT, later. Around town the trans is great. I just need it to spin up a bit more at WOT.

Oh and my tailgate window stopped working. Guess I need to fix that first.