• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jumpin_jumpin
    232 I6
    • Feb 03, 2018

Locating the Neutral Safety Switch 84 GW

I feel really ridiculous right now, but even after searching posts, reading damn good descriptions of where the NSS is, and looking at wiring diagrams I cannot find the NSS on my 84 Grand Wagoneer. I have the replacement part ready to go (hoping that gets it to start- right now the wheel is locked out so I can't even get it into neutral to test it) but I cannot find the dang thing!
    Anyone have a photo from the top of the engine bay showing where this thing is?
    Or should I be accessing from underneath the rig??
  • Pyrate2010
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 18, 2015

NSS switch

Neutral safety switch is also the reverse light switch it screws into the side of the transmission and wire runs up to ground out the starter solenoid
    1983 Cherokee 4 door
    AMC 360 727 trans 229 transfer case
    FiTech EFI, MTA-1 cam, wiseco 9.25 pistons
    Working on complete restoration with Wagoneer boobie Grill

Comment

• jumpin_jumpin
      232 I6
      • Feb 03, 2018

Holy heck- is it this thing??? I can barely slide a phone up there to snap a pic- can't imagine how much fun it's going to be to try and get a wrench in there.

Comment

• gsmikie
        Auto Trannie God
        • Feb 18, 2001

that is it
        I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• jumpin_jumpin
          232 I6
          • Feb 03, 2018

Oh joy. Just pop off the cap, unscrew the NSS, and screw on the new one?
          I saw something somewhere about there being another screw I needed to loosen but can't tell which one.

Comment

• Pyrate2010
            230 Tornado
            • Sep 18, 2015

NSS

Well ... the other option is to pull up the carpet, remove all the bolts from the transmission tunnel cover and chisel off the sealant holding it on. Probably not what you want to do
            1983 Cherokee 4 door
            AMC 360 727 trans 229 transfer case
            FiTech EFI, MTA-1 cam, wiseco 9.25 pistons
            Working on complete restoration with Wagoneer boobie Grill

Comment

• nograin
              304 AMC
              • Dec 19, 2000

Aw com'on, not that bad. I'd have to slip the NSS connector back on every few weeks until I finally replaced it.

Seriously, its not that bad. The more you do stuff, the more you'll get used to working in odd corners and working without actually seeing.

Clean that mess off, it will make your life easier.

As far as whether a new NSS is needed.
              1. Gently but firmly turn the steering wheel while working the ignition switch. Try both ways on the steering. It probably just has a lot of pressure on the mechanism - assuming you know you have a good key. Sometimes a little jiggling is needed when things are worn.

2. All the NSS does is ground the solenoid relay. A jumper can be run from the terminal on the relay or solenoid (depends on year) to a ground. If it works with the jumper, then the problem is in the wire or the NSS.
              '85 Grand Wagoneer
              360 727auto, NP229
              body by beer (PO)
              carries wood inside
              no "wood" outside
              My other car is a fish

Comment

• jumpin_jumpin
                232 I6
                • Feb 03, 2018

Originally posted by nograin
                Aw com'on, not that bad. I'd have to slip the NSS connector back on every few weeks until I finally replaced it.

Seriously, its not that bad. The more you do stuff, the more you'll get used to working in odd corners and working without actually seeing.

Clean that mess off, it will make your life easier.

As far as whether a new NSS is needed.
                1. Gently but firmly turn the steering wheel while working the ignition switch. Try both ways on the steering. It probably just has a lot of pressure on the mechanism - assuming you know you have a good key. Sometimes a little jiggling is needed when things are worn.

2. All the NSS does is ground the solenoid relay. A jumper can be run from the terminal on the relay or solenoid (depends on year) to a ground. If it works with the jumper, then the problem is in the wire or the NSS.

Thanks for the response! Pretty sure its the NSS- I wiggled it around a little bit and the beast started right up. I imagine it either came lose or the piece itself is faulting. I have the new one, will replace it as soon as I get a dry day. Doing all my work on the street/curb is not super fun.

Comment

• nograin
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by jumpin_jumpin
                  Thanks for the response! Pretty sure its the NSS- I wiggled it around a little bit and the beast started right up. I imagine it either came lose or the piece itself is faulting. I have the new one, will replace it as soon as I get a dry day. Doing all my work on the street/curb is not super fun.
                  Curbside is never fun. Well try to make it fun with some laying in the dirt will be an adventure attitude.

Since you said it worked when you wiggled it, are you sure its not just the connector? That is, the connector gets a little loose rather than the NSS is broken?

Thats what was happening with mine. Sometimes it would fall off, sometimes just back off enough to be a poor connection.

If you need to replace the connector, its a cut and splice type job. There's two styles of connector. Try to get the correct one the first time. LOL I may have the pictures saved.
                  Disconnect the nss wire at the solenoid, then the reverse light wires from a connector by the firewall. Then you can do the splicing on the workbench.
                  edit: here we go, www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178248 The one I used with the half moon was Standard P/N S747

Drive the driver side wheels up onto a 2 x 10 or something equally solid for a little more room underneath.
                  Last edited by nograin; 03-13-2018, 08:34 PM.
                  '85 Grand Wagoneer
                  360 727auto, NP229
                  body by beer (PO)
                  carries wood inside
                  no "wood" outside
                  My other car is a fish

Comment

• jumpin_jumpin
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 03, 2018

Originally posted by nograin
                    Curbside is never fun. Well try to make it fun with some laying in the dirt will be an adventure attitude.

Since you said it worked when you wiggled it, are you sure its not just the connector? That is, the connector gets a little loose rather than the NSS is broken?

Thats what was happening with mine. Sometimes it would fall off, sometimes just back off enough to be a poor connection.

If you need to replace the connector, its a cut and splice type job. There's two styles of connector. Try to get the correct one the first time. LOL I may have the pictures saved.
                    Disconnect the nss wire at the solenoid, then the reverse light wires from a connector by the firewall. Then you can do the splicing on the workbench.
                    edit: here we go, www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178248 The one I used with the half moon was Standard P/N S747

Drive the driver side wheels up onto a 2 x 10 or something equally solid for a little more room underneath.

I'm HOPING it's the NSS and not the connector, because I don't know a dang thing about electrical. That'll be what haunts me on this project of mine. But thanks for the right up- if it ends up being the connector, you've helped a lot!

Comment

• bwwhaler
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 17, 2012

When you pull it, have the new one ready to put in quick, you will have a tranny fluid bath very quickly...
                      87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                      Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• jumpin_jumpin
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 03, 2018

Originally posted by bwwhaler
                        When you pull it, have the new one ready to put in quick, you will have a tranny fluid bath very quickly...
                        '

THAT is very good to know!

Comment

Working...
                        X