• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MisterKeith
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 11, 2009

interested in a Cherokee Chief.

Hello! This is my first post so bare with me. I currently own a Jeep XJ (bone stock daily driver), but have wanted to start a project on an FSJ, particularly a Cherokee Chief. I live in Northern Michigan so we have mud, snow, dunes, and plenty of water to play in. Searching craigslist I found a particular Chief I was interested in. The seller sent me plenty of pictures but I'm not keen on FSJ's or their weakpoints. I was hoping to find someone here at the IFSJA to peak at them for me before I make the trip to inspect the vehicle.

The seller is asking less than $2000.

Here are the specs:
    81' Cherokee Chief
    72,000 Miles
    258 I-6
    727 3spd Tranny
    229 Transfer Case
    AMC 20 in back, Dana 44 up front

Good tires and brakes

New:
    Starter Solenoid
    Battery
    Front and Rear brakes
    Transmission line
    Power Steering line
    Transmission Pan gasket and filter and fluid flush.
    new floor pans in the front but back floor is rusty.

Frame, diffs, and springs are rusty. Looks to be surface rust in the pictures but I'm not positive.

If you are interested in looking at pictures I will email them to you...Just send me a PM.

Thanks for reading my post. If you have some advice on purchasing FSJ's I would really appreciate it! Great forum!
  • shackwrrr
    360 AMC
    • Mar 04, 2006

post up the pics would all love to check it out.
    Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• men in black
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 08, 2006

Welcome from Grand Blanc, Mi
      1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
      Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
      Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
      Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• jeepjerry
        304 AMC
        • Oct 12, 2008

Yeah, go ahead and post up the pics.
        1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
        1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
        1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
        Kenosha, WI 53142
        http://www.alfanoperformance.com
        For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Look closely @ driver's side frame rail by the front mount for the rear leaf spring.
          The skid plate and frame can rot badly there if road salt and crud build up in there.

I'd be suspicious of the above especially given the mention of floorpan work & rust.

If you go to look @ it, offer to change the transfer case fluid...(it's just ATF in there)
          Drain it and look for gray material, if you see any the viscous coupler inside may be heading south.
          I'd also check all the other fluid levels and condition, maybe find a local shop to give it a quick inspection.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• MisterKeith
            230 Tornado
            • Nov 11, 2009

You guys are fast! here's the link.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Comment

• vintagetrks
              304 AMC
              • May 01, 2009

Looks pretty rusty,but what do you expect for a Michigan rig. looks like a D44 front & AMC 20 Rear for axles. If your looking for a trail rig that your not gonna dump a lot of money in and the heater works I say go for it.
              New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
              My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
              90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• sidewinder
                232 I6
                • Apr 06, 2008

In my opinion $800.00 truck. Sorry if the seller is a member of this site - but that's my opinion.

Mark

PS - Vintagetrks - Just 'cause you live in warm country you don't have to rub it in about the "heater works" for us freezin' northerners up here - laugh! Gawd, I'm not lookin' forward to this winter!

Comment

• MisterKeith
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 11, 2009

I agree that it it's worth less than $2k. I forgot to ask if the heat worked! Should have been my first question!

I'd like to use it for the Jeep Jamboree in Drummond Island in the Upper Peninsula, and for pulling my sailboat out of the water once a year

I will beat this thing up.

oh...What did you think of the engine bay? Look like a 72,000 mile motor?

Comment

• littlebuck23
                    258 I6
                    • Aug 07, 2008

If your plan is to keep a fsj for a long time you should look for one with less rust. That frame doesnt look all that strong anymore.

if ya look around youll find that there are great rigs out there for under 2 grand with a v8 and no rust. makes for a GREAT project platform. I drove the one I wanted home 650 miles. No big deal. had to travel a bit but got what I wanted.

Fsj's are great and you should defiantly get one but you don't want to spend half of forever fixing rust issues.

as mentioned before you cant blame the poor thing its spent its life in Michigan.
                    Terry

1970 Kaiser Wagoneer -SOLD (currently getting built by new owner)
                    Build thread-http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=103447
                    1979 Cherokee Chief WT 360. SOLD
                    1977 Cherokee Chief WT Sport 401. SOLD
                    1975 International Scout II (My DD)

Comment

• sidewinder
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 06, 2008

Check out " 89 grand wagonner for sale real cheap - ohio" in the for sale section of this forum. Looks like a pretty good truck for a reasonable price and he can't be more than a 300 mile drive from you.

Comment

you west coast guys are harsh.
                        thats not that bad by ct standerds,and is a 1k truck anyday here
                        85 gw 215k and still going
                        castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                        89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

Working...
                        X