• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • honcho79360
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 11, 2015

79 j 10 360

working on My 79 J-10 Honcho, cam gear got eaten so I'm replacing the front of the motor, cam gear, timing chain n gears cover oil pump n housing. dropped pan as well put t back together today to only find out the PROFORM cover I purchased want allow the dizzy to go in (too tight) even tried another dizzy and the same thing. sticks on the first collar. Can I sand down the collar for it to fit ?? Don't want to take it apart
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Painful, but I would return the cover. Defective.

There is a helpful thread about checking the machining on these covers before installation. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=183822
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

I won't use a after market timing cover unless I have to. You are better off using a used one. Why did you change it out?
      Also, did you correct the oil passages through the new timing set?
      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• honcho79360
        230 Tornado
        • Oct 11, 2015

i changed dizzy and didnt change out the gear on dizzy, it ate cam gear. so off with everything on the front of engine and the oil pan. got one black rod next to center main, lots of end play or thrust. ive took material off dizzy now it want mesh w oil pump and drop in. new gear on dizzy makes rotation very tite on dizzy. oil pump cover is comming off to aide in dizzy drop.

Comment

• SC/397
          Administrator
          • Feb 01, 2010

The distributor should drop right in without taking the timing cover off.
          Good Luck.
          The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• honcho79360
            230 Tornado
            • Oct 11, 2015

yes this is true, I think the oil pump cover so I can turn SHAFT so it drops in or just remove the oil pump shaft till dizzy drops in HOPEFULLY

Comment

• honcho79360
              230 Tornado
              • Oct 11, 2015

WISH Id known this was a issue prior to My discovery of this crappy issue

Originally posted by tgreese
              Painful, but I would return the cover. Defective.

There is a helpful thread about checking the machining on these covers before installation. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=183822
              WISH I KNEW OF THIS ISSUE

Comment

Working...
              X