White Smoke from Passenger Side Exhaust Manifold...help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beerme4396
    232 I6
    • Mar 11, 2008

White Smoke from Passenger Side Exhaust Manifold...help.

First off - I've been using this website for years now since a bought my first FSJ. Thanks to all who have helped me tremendously with this never ending project.

I looked for an answer to my current situation but not sure what to do. My PS exhaust manifold has a white smoke coming from the heat riser and from under the #6 and #8 cylinders. At first I thought valve cover gasket so I replaced both sides but still smoking. I checked all the way around the covers and no oil. Then thought the intake could be leaking, can't tell for sure...but doesn't seem to be the intake. Then I thought maybe RMS spraying oil all the way up there. Looked underneath and the oil pan is clean and so is the flywheel (although I found a little transmission fluid there). I looked around the freeze plugs and they seem ok...pulled the spark plugs in #6 and #8 and found no oil on the plugs. The Jeep is running solid but I only get a couple miles down the road and the smoke is visible from under the hood and PS front wheel. I checked my oil level and its still full. The leak isn't large enough that I will loose a lot of oil but since it hits right on the exhaust manifold, it smokes a lot. I checked the coolant and found no oil in there so I don't think head gasket.

Is it possible for the exhaust manifold to leak oil through the bolts? Am I looking at the wrong fluid and could it actually be a transmission fluid leak? How could trans fluid make it to the top of the PS exhaust manifold and around the bolts?
    '77 Jeep Wagoneer SOLD.
  • Wayne
    350 Buick
    • Feb 16, 2008

Heater core could be leaking.
    78 Wagoneer 401/T400/bw/44F&R DD 4in lift

Comment

• beerme4396
      232 I6
      • Mar 11, 2008

I checked under and around the heater core - no leak there...and coolant level hasn't changed. Here are 2 pics of the PS exhaust manifold showing leak.....any other thoughts?
      Attached Files
      '77 Jeep Wagoneer SOLD.

Comment

• Wayne
        350 Buick
        • Feb 16, 2008

Theres a freeze plug on the head right there, are you sure it's not leaking?
        78 Wagoneer 401/T400/bw/44F&R DD 4in lift

Comment

• beerme4396
          232 I6
          • Mar 11, 2008

I'll check the freeze plug again tonight - that's a good possibility.
          '77 Jeep Wagoneer SOLD.

Comment

Working...
          X