International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-10-2005, 06:50 AM

I know that a mis-adjusted kickdown linkage can lead to cluch slippage but can I leave the kick down lever unhooked completely? Im installing a 727 in a CJ7 and Im not ready to (nor do I have) hook up the kickdown linkage. I would like to run the vehicle afterwards and make sure everything is working OK. If I leave the kickdown lever in its static position will I avoid any internal damage?

Also, on a side note, does anyone know which port would be best to instal a trany temp sensor in? Or should I weld a bung into the pan and put it there?

thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Master Mechanic

Just tie the arm on the tranny for the linkage forward this will give you maximum pressure for driving.CIIW but if you leave it static you could slip the clutches at peak power alsowhen you are wheeling if you dont tie the linkage forward it will want to shift into high gear at low RPM unless you manually shift it then it is still a low pressure concern. What about modifying a cable to make the kickdown work you could buy a bike cable with the crimp on ends and it would be easy to modify a throttle cable bracket to work underneath. Just a thought.
78 pacer on 75 chero frame thats shortened 10\" and shackle reversal, D60 front with spool,14ff with detroit locker 4.56s in both,500 hp/500 ftlb torque 401,built 727,208 to divorced 205 doubler,on 46x21 ag tires
78 cj 360, 3spd, scout 44s with detroits SOAed with 36"tsl and beadlocks
Old 03-10-2005, 10:37 AM

thanks, that was the info I am looking for. The trany has a transgo shift kit installed, so I should be able to manualy shift it and just hold it in gear.
I just wanted to make sure that I am not going to be damaging the trany if I try it with out it hooked up. I think I will just buy a Lokar kickdown cable asm. in the future, but wanted to see if the rig will move tonight. It wont be driven any distance or on the road at all, just in and out of the shop for now.

thanks, Dan