International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 07-30-2022, 08:26 PM
350 Buick

Gettin hot in Seattle

Today was very hot here near Seattle. When I was leaving work a young guy getting into his Tesla looked at my truck with the windows rolled down and the wing windows turned out to act as scoops and said "Enjoy the heat...I can smell your truck from here."

Of course he could, he was only 10 feet away and it was hot, when I started it the coolant temp was already 95 and you could smell the gas tank venting and a valve cover recently began leaking oil onto the header but I just smiled and said "That's the smell of America" and happy headed down the road

Some day I hope to put A/C in the truck but for the foreseeable future I'm just fine driving with my arm out the window and the wings scooping up and focusing that cool breeze.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:00 AM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

much too hot, thank god for AC

steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 07-31-2022, 02:32 PM
258 I6

That kid in the Tesla should be made to live downwind of a dairy farm

MMMMMMMMM.....smell the money

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified
Old 07-31-2022, 04:21 PM
350 Buick

Sounds like another typical virtue-signaling douche nozzle tesla owner mouthing off.
Next time ask him how much diesel was used to dig the REEs out of the ground just to make the batteries in that POS, and what type of power plant (likely coal) is used to charge the batteries when he plugs it in.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 07-31-2022, 07:13 PM
350 Buick

I don't really want to get started on my opinion of him but it's not a good one. He is the kind of person who has a Tesla because it's a status symbol not because he is trying to do anything good.

I feel sorry for people in modern cars, electric ones particularly. They are nothing more than toys and distractions. There isn't any joy in driving them, they are just a means of getting from one place to another and dumbing down the general population,

Just this morning I was driving my truck to work and actually enjoying the drive. It was cool and still, the sun was just starting to come up. I had my arm out the rolled down window listening to the engine, smiling and just enjoying it.

You'll never see a Tesla driver with his arm out the window enjoying the drive, no, a Tesla is about screens and navigation and "infotainment"not about driving and they will never know the joy of the wind blowing through a set of wing windows on a hot summer day.

Not to mention in 8 to 10 years his car will need new batteries, which currently cost $20,000 + which like solar panels is an environmental disaster just now beginning to happen.

In 10 years my truck will still be going and likely actually worth more money than it is today. In 20 years the same thing, long after today's Tesla owners have moved on to the next "latest and greatest thing and likely forgotten how to drive altogether.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:37 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwire
much too hot, thank god for AC

steve

I agree but it's only for a week or two a year, thank goodness.

My wife likes to taunt her sister by sending her pictures of our weekly forecasts when where she lives has been over 100 since June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80
That kid in the Tesla should be made to live downwind of a dairy farm

MMMMMMMMM.....smell the money

Reminds me of a song...(cue the music)..." I love to go where the cow pies grow and smell that dairy air... Party in Milwaukee cause the beer tastes better there..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
Sounds like another typical virtue-signaling douche nozzle tesla owner mouthing off. Next time ask him how much diesel was used to dig the REEs out of the ground just to make the batteries in that POS, and what type of power plant (likely coal) is used to charge the batteries when he plugs it in.

Not virtue signalling, more status symbole "I'm better than you because I have a Tesla" kind of person. Have you ever seen the episode of Southpark with the Prius's and the smug storm? He's like that. Me on the other hand, I drive what I drive not because it makes me better than others or to show off what I can afford but because it's what I want to drive. Some day I do hope to find all the original style A/C stuff because it would be nice for those 2 weeks a year when it's hot.

By the way I looked it up and the electricity in out area is "36% coal, 32% hydroelectric, 20% natural gas, and 10% wind derived" so over 50% from coal and natural gas

Last edited by Crankyolman : 07-31-2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:55 PM
258 I6

Gotta love those dead dinosaurs.......until the acid from a totaled Tesla seeps into the earth and contaminates everything. No reusing any of that carcass!

Not enough caves in the world to store all the hazardous waste that is starting to be generated from electric vehicles!

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Old 07-31-2022, 08:42 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Remind Tesla owners that it took 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish a Tesla on fire in 2021 ... that is a big tax on the aquifer

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/18/2...rash-no-driver

Otherwise still foggy in SF... 60ish with a bump to 63 in the early pm.

It was over 95 in the sierras... a bit hot for off-road motorcycling... unless staying under the shade of the trees

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work

Last edited by letank : 07-31-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:22 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
Just this morning I was driving my truck to work and actually enjoying the drive. It was cool and still, the sun was just starting to come up. I had my arm out the rolled down window listening to the engine, smiling and just enjoying it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Next time one of them complains about the smell of your truck just tell them it's smell of freedom, something they'll never understand.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 AM
258 I6

Amen

Old 08-01-2022, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
Sounds like another typical virtue-signaling douche nozzle tesla owner mouthing off.
Next time ask him how much diesel was used to dig the REEs out of the ground just to make the batteries in that POS, and what type of power plant (likely coal) is used to charge the batteries when he plugs it in.
My thoughts exactly.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 08-01-2022, 04:05 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead
Couldn't have said it better myself. Next time one of them complains about the smell of your truck just tell them it's smell of freedom, something they'll never understand.

This says it all!

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:10 AM
360 AMC

My entire first paragraph on disturbing anti God world issues has been deleted because of a complaint from a member. Sorry if I hurt your feelings calling out a mess. The cancel culture is everywhere and I canceled myself for you. Now just about everyone except Tesla drivers can read this and not be offended. And I am still disgusted in case you were wondering....

On electric cars.. So many states tout a shortage in the power grid. Rolling black outs and continuous messages of there is not enough. Especially California. What happens when every electric car owner goes home after work and plugs in their car for an overnight charge for the trip to work in the morning? Will we suddenly have an abundance of power for these electrical needs? Political pockets are getting lined here. And electric semi trucks for our supply chain infrastructure? They don't exist and they won't exist.
I will never part with my old school Jeeps. I predicted 20 years ago that owning such a rig would be the source of extremely high taxes or in short a financial penalty. Wait for it...
I had better stop my rant. I am getting caffeinated and mad. Not a good combo.. I did not really add anything good to this thread. But it feels good to call stuff out. For a minute anyway.. Everyone have a really good day. I mean that.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 J4000 Rang-A-Stangs next project!!

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 08-31-2022 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:57 AM
350 Buick

Well said Al, It's good to hear other people feel the same way. 102 here in Portland, I'm staying inside today.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:24 PM
258 I6

Al, I stand with you!

If we ever would live too close to each other, and be seen in public working on our Jeeps, you can almost bet someone would have the FBI watching us, not sure what we are up to......sad days are ahead of us for sure.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:35 PM
350 Buick

I've always said electric is a stop gap and still believe it. I believe if anything hydrogen is the way of the future.

I did think of a good use of a tesla.

If you are stuck trying to make a left turn and traffic won't let you just wait until you see one of those ugly Tesla front ends coming towards you and turn left in front of it. It will auto brake and let you make your turn

Last edited by Crankyolman : 08-07-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:01 AM
304 AMC

Maybe.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:17 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
I've always said electric is a stop gap and still believe it. I believe if anything hydrogen is the way of the future.

I did think of a good use of a tesla.

If you are stuck trying to make a left turn and traffic won't let you just wait until you see one of those ugly Tesla front ends coming towards you and turn left in front of it. It will auto brake and let you make your turn
Idk on that purpose...they have some WEIRD programming on that. For instance they target cop cars and red cars. Especially when they're on the side of the road, the Teslas get obnoxiously close. And there's no saying that the driver has all of that turned on. I wouldn't risk the Jeep on that.

For the record, the only thing that I like about the Teslas is that they're not combustion cars. That and they're fairly practical, being sedans and small "SUVs". I hate pretty much everything else about them. Entertainment systems on wheels, just like any new car.

I will say this about EVs. Yes it takes a lot to get the chemicals to build them, BUT like any other battery, they can be recycled almost entirely, so once they're in circulation, they can become sustainable. And the batteries have been reportedly lasting a solid 20 years and still retaining 90% capability, if you take care of them. Now, Tesla specifically is kind of stupid about their battery replacement stuff, but that's a them problem not an EV problem. Hydrogen cars are electric cars, with fewer batteries and on board hydrogen that combines with the oxygen in the air, which releases energy and produces water. My issue with that is I personally don't want to put a MORE explosive substance in my vehicle to power it, AND hydrogen has to be pressurized, which makes any explosions worse. I will also say this; recharging an EV doesn't hurt the planet any more than keeping the lights on in say Walmart. And it's not the consumer's job to fix where the electricity comes from either. At least it's TRYING and not going to run out of resources when we run out of oil. While they don't help with causing blackouts, the Mach E and F-150 Lightning for instance can be plugged into a house and act like a generator. Not for too long, but they can give you any last little bit of power that you need. Last thing; yes electrical fires are bad, but it's more about the modern electronics and wires going EVERYWHERE. And with combustion you are literally relying on ideally controlled explosions to propel you forward, and there have been SO many deaths and fires related to it that it's not even funny. And with either one, as long as you maintain it, and make sure everything's right, it shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure this is gonna tick some people off and some people are gonna jump on me for it, but I'm not trying to offend anyone, simply providing a different perspective and some of the logic behind that perspective. Again, not saying it's perfect, but I personally think that it's a lot better (as far as a power source goes) than relying on something that wastes 40-60% of its released energy.
open knuckle D44 front (disc brakes)
6-lug conversion rear
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
.030 over 401, TBI, headers
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know

Last edited by sierrablue : 08-12-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:14 PM
350 Buick

There are problems with just about anything and while in theory the modern lithium batteries are recyclable the fact is it's difficult and expensive to recycle them due to the way they are made so only 5% of lithium batteries actually get recycled which voids the argument and potential benefits. As a side note 99% of lead acid batteries are recycled but they are heavy.

When it comes down to it companies need to make a profit to stay in business which is the biggest issue. Solar panels are recyclable but cost a lot to recycle so its significantly cheaper to dispose of them rather than recycle so they go to the dump. Lithium batteries are the same way, it's just more difficult and costly to recycle them than to dispose of them so they get dumped, not to mention the pollution generated in that complicated and costly recycling process when they are recycled.

Hydrogen has many different incarnations. Yes hydrogen fuel cells produce electricity and there are batteries on those vehicles for regenerative braking but it isn't a significant battery and could operate without it, just slightly less efficiently.

One benefit of hydrogen is you can run almost any internal combustion engine on it. Of course there are some draw backs like rust and producing a small amount nitrogen oxide. This is easily negated but complicates things or reduces power but is certainly feasible.

Some years back I read about a man who was starting a company to run cars on water. He was using an inert chemical I can't think of the name of right now and aluminum powder to produce the hydrogen, rather than electrolysis and run internal combustion engines. I do not recall if he was separating the hydrogen from the oxygen or feeding it into the engines as what is often called HHO. I don't know what ever became of him and when I talk about it I get accused of needing a tin foil hat "...I'm telling you man it runs on water!...but the government doesn't want us to have it!..."

Teslas are nothing but toys, most modern cars are, and just dumb down the population. People don't know how to find their way home without GPS these days. They are even too dumb to know how to turn their cars off

Case in point. The driver of the Tesla I mentioned in the original post had his motorcycle stolen last year. Now honestly I believe he committed insurance fraud because he wanted a new motorcycle but if we take him at his word rather than the overwhelming evidence it was because the Tesla dumbed him down so much that he didn't think to remove the key from his motorcycle when he rode it to work. He claims he is so used to just getting out of the Tesla and walking away that he didn't think to remove the key on the bike. A few hours later a seemingly random homeless person walked into our parking area and began looking at the motorcycles. Lo and behold he found one with a key in the ignition, jumped on it, started it up and was gone. As luck also had it it was well insured and the insurance company paid it off and the guy was now able to buy the new motorcycle he wanted simply because the Tesla had dumbed him down so much he didn't remove the key from the ignition.

He also admits that he has left his wife's car unlocked and idling in store parking lots because he didn't think to turn it off, remove the key or lock the doors, all because of Tesla.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 08-13-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:58 AM
304 AMC

The Tesla made him dumb or he bought it because...

I think the majority of them don't think about where the juice comes from. They think you just plug them in.

Where does the hydrogen come from? I've never paid any attention to them. What's their range, tank pressure?

I'm coming from a rocket launch background and remember the hoops we jumped through using it, purging with helium, sampling for ox, etc. But we were using liquid.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.