International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM
230 Tornado

Adding Power Steering to a '74 Cherokee S w/258

I currently have a manual steer Cherokee S with the I6-258. What is the process for putting in PS for this motor? I have seen some threads where the response was "find a part out unit with the exact motor and same year with PS" and I don't find that a satisfactory solution as I don't have the time or resources to search through junkyards for these parts. And I am not going to dump money on a pump and steering box that may or may not work. Is there a resource of someone that has done this upgrade with new(ish) parts? Also looking for information before jumping feet first into this. Before lifting and putting larger tires it I want to do PS and a hydroboost brake system to make it more driveable as the bigger tires are going to negatively affect these attributes. Is used the only way to go? Does the steering box need to be off an old J20 or some other FSJ? I know BJ's has some parts but they appear to be RedHead and I've been told to stay away from them.