International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 09-03-2022, 09:28 AM
out of order

So can we consider this a shook hands and agree to move on with you two?

I see no reason for anyone to leave the forum, or delete the last few replies.
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs/opinions on the forum, within reason.

You both handled it with respect(in the end) and really all that's required/expected.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:15 AM
360 AMC

Yes, I don't want to see him go. I have been thinking on this all night. Lets all just understand there is a lot going on in the world right now. And we all must be resilient in one way or another. I am indeed grateful for our FSJ's and this forum. This I know.... Onward...

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 J4000 Rang-A-Stangs next project!!

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
Old 09-03-2022, 07:48 PM
350 Buick

I've begun to post several times on this thread in the past day or so but for one reason or another wound up deleting the post before I hit submit. I have a lot going on in my life right now (nothing new there )This whole thing reminds me of two things...

#1 is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ur6d-D4zXE

#B is an incident that happened at my work some years ago.

One morning as I was starting work one of my colleagues and I got in a rather heated discussion about how to do a fairly minor thing but we got kind of loud over it. As it happened the previous shift had not left yet, since there is a 1/2hr to 45 minute overlap so we were overheard by several of them.

The next morning myself and the other guy were each called into the managers office and asked if we felt there was a hostile work environment on our shift because someone on the previous shift had complained about it and our discussion.

We were both shocked to hear that someone might think what we were doing was hostile, or even angry because our perspective was it was just a discussion. I will say we work in an industry where hearing loss is common and since most people on our shift are older and have trouble hearing our volume tends to be a bit higher than with most of the young people but one thing is the younger people at my work tend to be a lot more sensitive about things and although I don't think holding a grudge is the right word, they tend to hold onto any hurt feelings much longer than the cranky old men on my shift.

Even though we got loud and appeared to be arguing once the discussion was over we two cranky old men let any hurt feeling go and never thought anything of it, it was just a normal part of our day and we moved on.

Now I feel Sterling had a right to say something. I myself felt the original comments being discussed may have gone a bit too far but I have a lot going on in my life and by the time I got around to where I could say something the conversation had moved on.

I don't know where I'm really going with this because it's just a case of a crankyolman rambling as they tend to do and I'd like to encourage Sterling to stick around. Cranky old men tend not to hold back on their opinions they have held back enough in their lifetime and now tell things as they see them but they are usually very giving people and have the knowing of a lot of things.

As far as getting help with Kaiser or transition era trucks I for one may not see a thread but if you PM me I'll be glad to answer any questions, so would most everyone familiar with them.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 09-03-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:12 PM
258 I6

We are all on this forum, as we are all FSJ family members, either by ownership or interest.

Some need assistance like me, to help jog my memory of how we worked on these when they were the hot item back in the day, and others just love to follow threads and remember back when they still had their own DD FSJ.

No matter what we think separately, or political sway, where we live, rich, poor, etc, etc....does not make a hoot of difference either way if we are assisted or not with our individual builds.
We help all, as we are FSJ family!

Now, when someone does have a comment on a General Cit-Chat thread, that is what that thread is for, so it does not take up space in the tech or build or any other threads.

We are humans, with emotions, and all of us have issues that sometimes get in the way of our joy of owning and working on our own FSJ's.

That said, we all here in the FSJ family should be able to talk as family, and dump our troubles when needed, so we can get back to enjoying the real reason we are here.

So Sterling if you feel you can find an unbiased forum anywhere, to give you a eunuch environment with no real input other than strictly FSJ info, please let us know when you fly that you have landed safely somewhere else.

Who knows, there might be others here looking to board that flight with you, and if you think it is bad here......we all know how messy things over there in FAKEBOOK land are.

In a nutshell, you are a young man of 17 years, and forging your way into a life path of grown men, and all that comes with them......ALL that comes with them!

Every single one of us will have input into the gray matter between your ears that will last your entire life, just by comments and instruction on this forum per your request for simple FSJ assistance, that will shape and mold you to be who you are to be, and how you accept and deal with everyone else in your path of life, till death do you part!

Should you jump ship everytime you encounter a situation like this one......you will never know the true passion of living.

Stick around for awhile to see this through, and help us all help you and you help us, to all try and understand just what the hell is this world coming to!

Signed
One of your older FSJ Brothers
Scott

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Last edited by devildog80 : 09-04-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:49 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80
......we all know how messy things over there in FAKEBOOK land are.

I don't I've been banned from Facebook since 2011
Old 09-05-2022, 01:18 PM
258 I6

STATEMENT - This is MY opinion only, and hereby release anyone commenting to it of any liable, as I claim it as MINE, and take full responsibility for the way I see things and think of them!

I do not sign on, read, or post there, as I refuse to succum to the drama and BS it allows the participating humans to spew out without thought, intelligence, consideration, or conscience of anyone but themselves.

I mean come on......you want to read about people literally posting they had trouble taking a s**t?

I hear about posts like this from my grown kids, or at least they look similar to my kids, but seem to have grown this rectangular looking electronic device thing off the front of their faces that is connected to the palm of their hand and will light up their faces in the dark and for some reason they notice NOTHING else around them now and I almost need to yell trying to get their attention!

And they claim the reason they came over was to visit?
Visit who?
Still have the disease attached, so nothing else can get through to the gray matter anymore, except through that thing....UGH!

The joys of my life I share with those who are not afflicted with the dreaded CELL disease, as they are the only ones who will understand and remember.

So few of us left.......

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Old 09-05-2022, 06:43 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80
... or at least they look similar to my kids, but seem to have grown this rectangular looking electronic device thing off the front of their faces that is connected to the palm of their hand and will light up their faces in the dark and for some reason they notice NOTHING else around them now and I almost need to yell trying to get their attention!

And they claim the reason they came over was to visit?
Visit who?
Still have the disease attached, so nothing else can get through to the gray matter anymore, except through that thing....UGH!

The joys of my life I share with those who are not afflicted with the dreaded CELL disease, as they are the only ones who will understand and remember.

So few of us left.......

Here's what you do. Whenever they come over take a lesson from a 5 year old and repeatedly text them with "pay attention to me...pay attention to me...pay attention to me...PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE!!!!!!!..." until they put the phone down and pay attention to you
Old 09-05-2022, 06:45 PM
258 I6

Interesting.........

Old 09-26-2022, 06:38 PM
Administrator

I've been offline for a few weeks and just catching up. I think Babywag said it best. I hope no one has left. I read differing opinions throughout this thread but the respect is obviously there on both sides. I appreciate you guys not getting personal.

anywho... on electric cars. I watched a news article, recently, of a woman in FL who bought a 201X (I don't remembed the exact year but it was 2014-2017'ish) Ford Focus electric. She got it for a steal. Something like $8500 and it only had about 40k miles. She was stoked on it for the first 2 months. Then her range started to drop QUICKLY. She took it back to the dealer and the dealer said it needed a new battery. Those batteries were no longer available and therefore her car was totaled. Insurance would not pay becuase it was similar to her buying a used car and throwing a rod on the freeway. She was just out the money with a car she could no longer sell and could not be fixed. I see this with electric tools, too. You can get a SMOKING deal on a 2 or 3 year cordless drill/grinder/blower/lawnmower but that's becuase everything works except the battery. Which cannot be replaced OR the replacement battery is 20% more than just buying this years tool. The fat man in the smokey room giggles a little because you have to buy another one of his tools/cars and he gets more of your money.

I am not saying this because I won't buy an electric vehicle. I would very seriously consider one. BUT as we do shift to electric, I would assume those vehicles will have a 8-15 year service life, then go to wrecker. I think this will be the case until manufacturers start making modular batteries that can be rebuilt or universal batteries that work on multiple platforms.

I love the idea of an electric FSJ transplant. But the difference there is, whoever does it first will probably use modular batteries and not some unique one-off design that only fits one manufacturer, one platform, a short year range, or one configuration.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
00 Baby Cherokee

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 09-26-2022 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:37 PM
232 I6

Talking

All the fossil fuel will sooner & much later be used.(burned & many products)
Since I believe this, I think it is my job to use my share of the fossil fuel so the whiners can get on with finding other energy sources! My guess is they will still whine about unintended consequences.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:17 PM
304 AMC

How are the batteries going to be charged when the dead dinosaurs are gone? Is there enough oil/coal/gas to build all that solar/wind/whatever and also keep cars on the road in the interim? Not to mention room.

This is the question the the alternate energy proponents can't answer or choose to ignore.

But then fusion is only 20 years away, right? Still and always.

Nukes.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:47 PM
Administrator

BTW, on a related note. CA has outlawed gas fired hot water heaters and furnaces after 2030. So you can't run your A/C in the summer becuase brown outs and we are being asked not to charge our electric cars during prime charging times during the summer. I guess winter felt rejected so in order to make sure we all don't complacent during the winter time, now we will be told not to run our heaters or hot water heaters during the winter. .
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 09-27-2022, 07:28 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

It is going to be a few challenging years ahead and probably for the upcoming generation. The war in Ukraine has curtailed energy and food sources for a lot of people worldwide.

We can always use our energy wisely. I agree that hot water heater and gas appliances restrictions seemed like a bad joke, but it is only on new constructions.... who need hot water shower, lets see our elected officials show us how to do it ... besides we might be running out of water in the southwest! No deodorant either so we can detect our covid status... ha, ha, what a show!
Otherwise EV is one of the solutions, as long as you are not in a hurry! Solar works, folks in the remote area of the California Sierras have been using it for over 20years.... and yes you can have A/C, dishwasher and enough electricity to power appliances and entertainment and recharge small vehicles*.... to recharge EV, it may take a long time on solar, probably a good week, it all depends on how many panels and batteries you have!
*: yes, there is usually a diesel back up generator for those long overcast weeks in the winter

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 09-28-2022, 05:23 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
How are the batteries going to be charged when the dead dinosaurs are gone? Is there enough oil/coal/gas to build all that solar/wind/whatever and also keep cars on the road in the interim? Not to mention room.

This is the question the the alternate energy proponents can't answer or choose to ignore.

But then fusion is only 20 years away, right? Still and always.

Nukes.
Uh...what? Your argument against moving away from using oil is that we're going to run out, thus we can't possibly make the switch? So we should just keep burning through it like we are now and have absolutely no backup or anything and are 1000000000000% screwed? Is that what you're saying? I'm not sure I follow this logic...(not trying to make you feel bad I just really don't understand)

Fusion would be awesome...but I'm sure not gonna be the one to get rich off of it.
open knuckle D44 front (disc brakes)
6-lug conversion rear
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
.030 over 401, TBI, headers
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know
Old 09-28-2022, 03:27 PM
304 AMC

I'm not arguing that. I ask again: Is there enough oil/coal/gas to build all that solar/wind/whatever and also keep cars on the road in the interim?

Maybe my last comment was obscure.

Nuclear seems the only viable solution.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:26 PM
Administrator

I think we all need flux capacitors, myself. They provide 1.21 Jigawatts. Now, granted a FSJ will get terrible miles per jigawatt compared to say a Delorean but it would be a fun truck!
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 09-28-2022, 07:13 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
I'm not arguing that. I ask again: Is there enough oil/coal/gas to build all that solar/wind/whatever and also keep cars on the road in the interim?

Maybe my last comment was obscure.

Nuclear seems the only viable solution.
What difference does it make whether or not we can use the oil to make the renewable energy? If we don't then we're not going to stop making combustion-reliant machines. We're just gonna run ourselves out of oil and then curse at ourselves and everyone since the start of the industrial revolution. Besides, even if we CAN keep combustion cars on the road, pretty soon it's not gonna be affordable for anyone anyway.

I got the joke about fusion.

Flux Capacitors? I want a Mr. Fusion myself...or 5.
open knuckle D44 front (disc brakes)
6-lug conversion rear
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
.030 over 401, TBI, headers
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know
Old 09-29-2022, 12:21 AM
304 AMC

If we can then we should of course and there is movement that way. There's acres if not sq miles of solar outside Mojave. If that continues I think the nature guys are going to get upset.

To answer my own question I've been perusing the subject and it seems that solar panels do make more over their lifetimes than they consume but how much is the question. Some of the answers are suspect since they seem to use the numbers to make an individual cell and use that to compute a whole system where the real number would include the cost of cells plus building the panel plus installation and all the peripheral equipment.

I'm about to build a house and will take advantage of the subsidies to do solar. That makes the payback pretty quick. What the actual payback is energy-wise I don't know.

I still think nukes is most viable solution. That was the obscure comment I was referring to, not the fusion joke.

Last edited by SJTD : 09-29-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:49 PM
350 Buick

I think the solution is Bull S**t....or maybe better put Cow S**t...Honestly.

Quite a few dairy farms have begun using methane digesters for their cattle waste which produces enough methane to constantly run a large diesel generator. Farms can often produce electricity to power the entire farm and all the farm vehicles and even sell it back to the electric company.

I've seen a figure that said that two cows could produce enough methane to power a car for the average commute to work.

Personally I'd like to be able to put bumper stickers on my truck that says "Powered by Poop"..."Behold the power of poop"..."Methane is a gas!"...or something like that

When it comes to electric conversion I've looked into it but the field is ever evolving.

There is a company or two that makes a drop in electric conversion that bolts in in place of the engine and bolts up to the standard manual transmission in older cars to make a simple EV conversion. Extra batteries can be added if more range or power is desired. The only problem is they are horrifically expensive ($49,000 for the base kit for a Jeep Scrambler, the bigger one for full size pickups has a base price of $65,000)
https://electricgt.com/gte-motors/
and of course batteries only last 8 to 15 years.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 10-01-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:52 AM
304 AMC

Lectric cars are a red herring. They may solve the no mo gas problem but you still have to get the electricity from somewhere. Covering your roof with PV might run your house but not your car.