International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 08-14-2022, 10:59 AM
232 I6

I believe that the Hydrogen is from electrolysis from cleaning facitlites, not 100% on that though.

The other problem with H cars is that of the 50 or so refill stations in the US, 48 of them are in California, and the other two are very close to California.

I do have a theory that if you could figure out a way to filter the H out of the air (still working on that)(I suspect that since H is light you'd need a snorkel at the very least, to get air from UP as high as possible), and had a small on-board battery for stops when there is low airflow (and regen braking), you could have a car that will theoretically run until you need new tires. So there's my $2 billion idea that I'll wish I invested in instead of sharing it with the world and doing nothing with it
open knuckle D44 front (disc brakes)
6-lug conversion rear
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
.030 over 401, TBI, headers
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know
Old 08-14-2022, 11:08 AM
232 I6

These are REALLY cool trucks that are mostly H powered.

https://nikolamotor.com/press_releas...at-11-am-et-83

600-mile range, which is 150% better than a Rivian's range.

This H stuff has me wondering--does the curb weight get significantly lower on a hydrogen powered car when it's full vs. empty? Obviously it's going to have SOME weight gained when you use more hydrogen, but do you measure the lift before or after you fill it? Also if you keep it full, does that mean you can put significantly more weight in a typical half ton truck because the hydrogen will unload the suspension? Seems like kind of a cool/funny trick is all...
6-lug conversion rear

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know
Old 08-14-2022, 02:07 PM
304 AMC

So electrolysis huh. Where's all that lectricity come from? Same place Teslas get theirs from? Just plug it in?

As far as the weight's concerned, you must pick up some weight from the tank. They must be pretty thick for safety's sake?

If you're serious about the weight of the compressed gas it's pretty light.

A fun fact: At about 800 psi liquid hydrogen is less dense (lighter) than helium. The liquid floats on the gas.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:52 PM
232 I6

Like I said I'm not 100% on where the H comes from, but yes that does negate the argument that H would be any better than an EV as far as that goes.

I forgot--they killed off the Nikola Badger

Also on the recycling batteries--the Pb H2SO4 (lead acid)(who says I didn't learn anything in chem? ) batteries are recycled 'cause the impact of dumping them would be AWFUL. They were basically forced to. The LiIons are so expensive to recycle 'cause nobody does it. Once people start recycling them, they'll be cheaper to recycle. And the Pb batteries are being phased out even in combustion cars--they're not powerful and as it was pointed out, they're HEAVY. Again not saying that it's a perfect setup, but nothing had good infrastructure when it started out--we can't expect it to become perfect over night. And I still think it's better than the consumer continually releasing pollusion. New combustion cars are just as bad as EVs as far as pollution from being built.
6-lug conversion rear

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner

Old 08-17-2022, 09:44 PM
350 Buick

I thought I posted this yesterday but apparently not, so I'll post it today, although it is incomplete.

Yes there are currently some issues with hydrogen but people and companies have been quietly working on those things because they know electric is nothing more than a stop gap.

One of the big problems with electric is it's not feasible to operate long haul trucks on batteries so the hydrogen infrastructure is slowly coming out because of that.

As far as producing hydrogen it is produced several different ways. Currently the most common method is natural gas reformation or gasification where the hydrogen is separated from the natural gas by reacting with steam. This does produce carbon monoxide which is further refined into more hydrogen. It also produces a small amount of carbon dioxide which of course isn't ideal. This method can also be used on coal or biomas which means potentially all the human and animal waste that is produced could be converted to clean fuel.

Other methods are

Electrolysis- Which as already mentioned requires electricity and that electricity has to come from somewhere. It's been a long time since I did any research on this but back when I did do some research one of the Nordic countries was working on solar or wind powered hydrogen electrolysis stations all along it's major highway system. Of course as already mentioned solar panels are becoming a current disaster but I feel wind has real potential in this case.

Renewable liquid reforming- This is basically the same as natural gas reforming but with something renewable like ethanol which brings us to the next method

Fermentation- Where biomass is converted into sugar rich feed stock and fermented and converted. Personally I don't believe food should be used for fuel but food isn't the only thing that can be fermented into fuel... On a side note, with the fuel injection system my truck currently has I could run on alcohol and some day I would like to just once run it on apple juice but it would take approximately 5,000 lbs of apples to make enough juice to make enough alcohol to fill the tank so that will probably never happen.

Other methods that are being developed are

High temperature water splitting- Using solar concentrators or nuclear reactors to drive a chemical reaction.

Photobiological water splitting- using microbes. I like this method because basically it is depriving the microbes of oxygen so they resort to stealing their oxygen from the water and produce hydrogen as their waste.

Photoelectrochemical- which uses semiconductors and the sun to spit the water.

Many years ago when I did the research on hydrogen I came across a scientist talking about using a harmless inert liquid, that I can't recall the name of, water and powdered aluminum to operate a car. This of course is not pure hydrogen, this is a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, sometimes called HHO. When the car ran out of water you just filled the tank back up with water, that didn't have to be clean so any water would work. When the aluminum ran out you opened a hatch in the fuel tank and removed a lump of recyclable aluminum and refilled a hopper with more aluminum powder.

In the past I have played around with a home made water splitter that actually worked pretty well. I had it on my '99 taurus and was able to increase my mileage by 3MPG highway with it. Now that I have a 150 amp alternator I would break it back out and see what it could do for my truck if I was still running a carb but it doesn't play well with the O2 sensor in fuel injection.

Of course the big scary thing always mentioned by people against hydrogen is the high pressure storage vessel. This is a legitimate concern because to reach full range the tanks are filled to 5,000 - 10,000psi when full. Of course this drops as the fuel is used. I don't have an answer for people who are scared of high pressure but not afraid of the lethal amperage of electric cars or the fire dangers. Everything is a trade off for convenience.

Another big issue with hydrogen is in the event of a fire you can't see a hydrogen flame and probably won't feel it until you are in it. Fortunately hydrogen burns very quickly, unlike a Tesla, so that isn't all that big of a problem but it is a legitimate concern.

I will give Elon credit where credit is due. The man may not have had an original idea in his life but he is very good at taking other people's ideas and improving them and claiming them as his own. He is making sure there is infrastructure to charge the cars he sells so people don't get left on the side of the road for longer than the 4hrs it takes to recharge their car, but truck drivers don't have that kind of time to wait around.

He does lie about the battery life though. If batteries are actually expected to last 21-35 years as he likes to say they will. That estimate is actually not based on real world driving, or anything real for that matter, it's just a number pulled out of thin air. The warranty is based on real world driving conditions which is why it is 8 years and something like 130,000 miles which is roughly 50 miles per day with no accessories used and not recharging except when absolutely necessary.in order to keep the recharging cycles as low as possible. In the real world people use the heater and air conditioning and a lot of other accessories that drain the batteries sooner. and plug it in whenever they aren't driving. Elon also likes to make the claim that replacement batteries only cost $5,000 - $7,000 when in reality it's $20,000 - $60,000 depending on the model.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 08-17-2022 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:57 PM
304 AMC

Thanks for the background. I don't think wind or solar is the way. If people would get over their fear of nukes we could get somewhere.

I guess the high pressure bottles these days are not just a metal tank that can burst but are fiber wrapped that won't rupture all at once?

True about the invisible flame but usually there would be plenty of other stuff burning too that would show unless it's a storage tank or a tanker leaking.

Another danger with H2 is its flammability range. Something like 10% to 95%
in air so it's easy to light. I remember hearing about a few times where the guy offloading an LH2 tanker forgets to light the pilot on the vent stack and and an open air explosion ensues. Fortunately it's less dense than air so it dissipates quickly.

You're right. Most Tesla drivers have know idea how much energy they're sitting on and neither do most drivers about their gas tanks.

True about Elon. The engine he's using in the Falcon 9 was designed by Nasa. We tested it at SSFL around the end of the last century. But he put it to good use.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:38 AM
350 Buick

Many years ago I saw this written on the bathroom wall of a crusty pizza place, and it's even more relevant today with Tesla owners:

"Proud is a technical term for a nail that needs to be pounded down. Aren't we proud in our Prius?"

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:29 PM
258 I6

With you on that one

Thanks for remembering more than Maggie's good time number!

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified
Old 08-31-2022, 06:54 PM
360 AMC

Hey I edited my totally and completely offensive post back on page one. I was given the option to leave it or edit it. I decided to go ahead and delete it. I essentially canceled myself out. I would not want anyone to have hurt feelings. Ha, I was wondering how long it would take. Hey have a stupendous and non offensive day. And I really mean that.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 J4000 Rang-A-Stangs next project!!

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
Old 08-31-2022, 07:36 PM
258 I6

A diamond is formed under extreme pressure

A tree grows stronger when the wind blows

Humans grow stronger surviving adverse situations and change

This culture of some getting their feelings hurt, so the rest of us should back off and bow down to help them feel better.......BS!

Stand tall and take someone else's opinion as it is intended, that it was not a direct attack towards any individual, or God help us some other identified something or other group, but know that we same thinkers have a right to our opinions as much as the next guy or organization.

You don't want us to infringe on what you call rights, so don't infringe on ours, because what someone says makes you feel sad.....really?

The pendelum does swing both ways....I can say what I want, and you can say what you want.

We may not agree, but we will never learn about each other if we do not share communication, good bad or otherwise!

I stand with Kaiserjeeps.

Where do you stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Hey I edited my totally and completely offensive post back on page one. I was given the option to leave it or edit it. I decided to go ahead and delete it. I essentially canceled myself out. I would not want anyone to have hurt feelings. Ha, I was wondering how long it would take. Hey have a stupendous and non offensive day. And I really mean that.

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Old 08-31-2022, 11:28 PM
304 AMC

Nuts. I don't recall what you said Kaiser.

This is a forum. If someone has a problem with something someone says seems to me he should have the balls to address it it here. Not in a PM.

Good of you to respect his privacy, though.

Old 09-01-2022, 12:42 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps

Don't let people sway you if you have a point of view and you feel it needs to be said. Cancel culture is ridiculous and typically comes from those who themselves are against free speech. Just because someone gets offended by something, doesn't mean you need to self-censor yourself, unless you're talking smack about FSJs, then shut right the hell up.

I like what Jordan Peterson has to say on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44pERGAaKHw

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 09-01-2022, 01:22 PM
258 I6

AMEN!!!

Old 09-01-2022, 11:08 PM
360 AMC

Eh what the heck... I was kind of whining anyway. I was sent a PM from an outstanding member who happens to be an admin. He did not reveal who was upset but I have a pretty good idea. Not really a big deal. We all know there is much wrong in this world. Many are lost and bankrupt in morals and what is right by our father.
And for a little more content completely unrelated to FSJ's...
Yesterday I learned something very serious is about to happen. Look up Executive order 14067 Or EO 14067. It is being kept quiet. And it starts December 13th. All money institutions are on board. You all better see this.

1969 1414X Wag,

Old 09-02-2022, 09:35 AM
258 I6

Yep....not too long and we will pay at the store with a chip in our body somewhere, with Uncle Sam logging our every move.

Those times are coming........

Old 09-02-2022, 08:14 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80
Yep....not too long and we will pay at the store with a chip in our body somewhere, with Uncle Sam logging our every move.

Those times are coming........

Isn't that what Amazon Fresh stores do? They just opened one of those not far from where I live.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:20 PM
350 Buick

I was reading yesterday that the California grid authority is requesting that people with electric cars not charge their cars during peak use hours due to increased demand during the current heat wave. Kind of shows how fragile the grid currently is and without major upgrades it won't be able to handle increased demand as California outlaws gas cars.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:21 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Nuts. I don't recall what you said Kaiser.

This is a forum. If someone has a problem with something someone says seems to me he should have the balls to address it it here. Not in a PM.

Good of you to respect his privacy, though.
You want that somebody to speak up, here I am. I was trying to be respectful and quiet about it specifically to avoid this, but seeing as how it has come up anyway...

I'm 17, and I joined this forum to get more info about these FSJs, and get some help/advise based on what other people have done/know, seeing as the '71 is my first real car and while I know it pretty well, I figured it was easier to get info from people who are more experienced and have been doing this awhile. I also figured I could sell some extra bits I have, and maybe find some harder ones to find. I've met a few people on here who have been helpful, or at least taken a shot at helping, but for the most part, with my specific issues, people haven't given me a lot of feedback. Thank you to those who did speak up and who have been helpful.

That said, I joined this forum for the FSJ stuff. And sure, I don't expect EVERYTHING to be all about FSJs ALL OF THE TIME, esp. in the "General Chit-Chat" section. But this is the third or fourth time I've seen this kind of thing come up--people just ranting about whatever their latest issue is with how other people want to live their lives--people who have literally nothing to do with them. Masks/vaccines, LGBTQIA+ people, etc. While I don't fall into the LQBTQIA+ community, I have close friends who do, and I just can't be associated with a group who doesn't respect them for existing as they are. I'm not saying everyone has to agree on everything, but if two people (or one person) are/is happy, then why must we mess with it, or make them feel bad about themselves?

Now it's fairly safe to say this is a mostly straight, white, Christian, male community, so a few comments about God, praying, and maybe a few minor things about guns are to be expected. My issue is the over-the-top rants, and the rants themselves wouldn't be that bad, except that others then chime in and SUPPORT the already not really acceptable (for a Jeep forum) comment to start with.

All of that said, I'm sure that ticked a large number of people off. I want to make it clear that I have a mad respect for everyone on this forum, for keeping these old Jeeps going, and for all of the work that they put into them. You guys do great work, and there are some really good archives on here. I was hoping I could add to that, hopefully help out a person or two, and/or make a friend (which I did). I do not disrespect anyone or their views--but please stop advertising your views/blowing off steam on a JEEP forum of all things. All it does is discourage potential members or FSJ owners because they don't necessarily want to be associated with that culture.

All I'm asking is to keep the complaints/rants about other human beings just living their lives, not bothering anyone (esp. when it's not vehicle related--ripping on Tesla drivers is fine (though I'm sure there are a few decent people with Teslas who don't fit the stereotype that are REALLY sick of hearing about it)) to yourself, or at least in the PMs, and not to hide who you are, but to think a little more before posting.

If this doesn't change or I get a ton of backlash for this (which, btw, I have made this as polite as I can while still getting the point across that this kind of thing is unacceptable), I don't have a lot of choice but to be done with this forum. I don't have a problem with freedom of speech/expression, but this forum is PRIVATELY regulated, and when you joined, you agreed to keep what you said respectful and not offensive. Assuming I am done, I'll probably wind up on FB, or I'll sell my extra stuff locally and figure out how to fix/upgrade the '71 myself.

We're all here for our obsessions with FSJs. I hope I haven't ticked everyone off and made an enemy base. If I have, I'll delete all of my posts that I can/aren't helping anyone, and probably ask that the account be taken down, and then everyone who wants me gone can say "good riddance" and get on with their lives.

Nothing but respect coming from me.

Stirling
6-lug conversion rear

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner

Old 09-02-2022, 11:22 PM
232 I6

PS

Crankyolman and those who have been sticking to FSJs and being respectful--I apologize for making this a massive thing.

And to everyone--I wish you well, and happy.
6-lug conversion rear

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner

Old 09-03-2022, 01:13 AM
360 AMC

Stirling, I was not told who complained. I did see your post with your complaint with your name removed. I was pretty sure it was you from your wording. And based on our private PM messages and disagreement on whether being vaccinated was safe or not, I could just tell. And the non-binary friends comment in your complaint could really only come from a younger person. So I was more than confident on who... So what... You don't have to leave.

You are young and I get your stance. Eventually you will find truth in the fact that the current vaccinations are not vaccinations. Why are the vaccinated people catching it then? Why did my friend die from a stroke immediately after his booster? Why did my neighbor die after his second booster? My wife was murdered from a man made virus compound consisting of synthetic peptides that resemble a specific animal toxin. The whole covid thing is a mess and is driven by a very dangerous agenda. Some know this and they have a tuned radar for danger. Some don't know it and don't want to know it. Why are oversize foreign objects being detected in vaccinated bloodstreams. New cell growth DNA is altered by the vaccinations. Cancer is exploding. Young women are finding they cannot have children now from their cervix's hardening and now are not able to support having a baby. None of this is being put on mainstream news. You have to dig deep for the truth and then verify the claims to see if you are being lied to. You know what Stirling, I am pizzed as he11 that I lost my wife. But lets ignore all I just said for right now... I am off the main issue here. All that was in regard to our private conversation we had.

Do you use a manual to fix your jeep? I hope so. It helps you right? Do you realize the Bible is a life manual? That it has never in thousands of years has not once lied. That it has never been wrong? That everything in the Bible has happened? That what it claims will happen will happen? I don't care if you don't believe in it. You will be subject to it in the end. That life manual is in direct conflict with the free will that was given to us as humans based on our decisions. All those who follow the bible have a chance to be in a place with no evil, no lies, no spite, no murder, no stealing, no envy, nothing but true love and peace as our father intended from the very start of Adam and Eve. Your non binary friends don't know how they are offending their very creator to the core. That Gods intent for them is lost now by their free will choice. I can only pray for them to find the truth. God wiped the earth once already with Noah and his family chosen to carry on. It is clearly stated it is going to happen again with fire this time. All the things happening right now are scripted. It does not matter if you or your friends believe it or think the people who decided to follow that life manual and right way of living are nuts and annoying, You will be subject to the end result. That Stirling is why I was baffled that that young bearded man with c cup breasts and tight shorts walking around the Seattle car show with his older guy seems so very lost. That is his choice period. He does not know he has been deceived. It makes me sad. Later you will find I am speaking the truth. About all I said. That will come with age, inquiry, and wisdom. And willingness to see. We all know deep down what is right.

There is a good possibility I will get asked or told to delete my comments and keep the God stuff to myself. But I am willing to stand up for righteousness. Till I die as a matter of fact. I understand the importance of that now. I used to never read or pray.
Stirling, please realize the world will never stop delivering opposition. And getting offended will not serve you well. Find your good path. Do the next right thing. Live and breathe good. Don't go anywhere. You are an interesting kid to listen to and we are all brothers in jeeps. Remember in our vaccination debate when I insisted you avoid future shots, you said we can just agree to disagree? We did alright there correct? Well that is what is needed here. Stick around and don't leave. The world is one great big classroom. No one here wants you to leave. I will close with an apology for the condition of the world and what has been left to you as a younger generation. You have a terrible mess to try and find your way through. Be strong and do the next right thing... Liz used to say that. She was spot on there.

1969 1414X Wag,

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 09-03-2022 at 01:50 AM.