• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PacNW
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 10, 2014

Tailgate inner sweep binding

I've been having an issue with the tailgate window getting stuck going down because the rubber on the inner sweep starts to roll down binding the window. It's a fairly new inner sweep.

I have considered using a razor blade to trim some of the leading edge of the rubber but that seems more like hack than a fix. Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?

Thanks,
    -Ed
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Is your tailgate closeing all the way? If your tailgate is not lined up with the body, the window rubs on that sweep at the wrong angle and to forcefully. Try leaning into your tailgate while putting the window up and down and see if that makes a difference.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• WT77
      230 Tornado
      • Aug 18, 2019

I had a similar issue. Over the years the slot in the tailgate that the window passes through had become narrowed or bent in the middle from years of people pushing and pulling on the gate to open and close it. I simply spread the slot back out using my hydraulic porta-power tool such that the slot had a uniform width across its entire length. I did this very slowly so as not to damage the gate or its internals. Window works perfectly now with no dragging.

Comment

Working...
      X