• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maybeadinosaur
    232 I6
    • Jul 29, 2015

Fan clutch and correct fan direction?

Hi GW friends!

I posted a few weeks ago about overheating at idle. I finally grabbed a fan shroud from another member of a FB group, and purchased a new fan clutch from BJ’s. I don’t believe the lack of a fan shroud would consistently cause overheating into the red, so I took your suggestions about the clutch.

Installed both today, will drive soon, get it warmed up and idle to test very soon. In the mean time, I wanted to share this with you and get your opinion.

A few guys on FB noted that they think my fan might be backwards. I reinstalled as I pulled it and I thought it was the same in my manual. At the moment, the leading edge is the curved side, on the right and the fan spins clockwise, when looking at the jeep from the front. It’s pulling great airflow as far as I can tell. What do you think?

Also, someone pointed out the blades should partly be in the shroud...I’m guessing my radiator isn’t as thick as the original and therefor the shroud doesn’t come out as far. Is it useless in its current configuration? Maybe I need to get some spacers/washers and readjust to push the shroud out? Different fan clutch?
  • lkmarsh
    350 Buick
    • Nov 21, 2008

Can't tell for sure but it looks like the radiator is thinner than stock.
    The fan is mounted right, good seven-blade non-flex, clutch looks right,
    so... best choice is a longer fan shroud. Or make a sheet metal extension.
    Another option is a 1 or 2" spacer and longer pulley studs.
    Fan blades should be a third to a half inside the shroud.
    I'm not a big fan of open-bottom shrouds, seems self-defeating.
    Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
    69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
    68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
    68 Impala wagon 327/400
    73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
    04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
    73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• DarkMonohue
      Shakes hands with danger
      • Jul 01, 2012

^What he said. Fan is installed corectly, and these things just don't put the fan very far inside the shroud to begin with. I looked at my J20, which has an OEM-style radiator from BJ's, and only about half an inch of the fan blades are inside the shroud. Yours may be a little off due to a thinner radiator, but the OEM configuration doesn't really seem ideal to begin with, especially considering that the shroud doesn't wrap around the bottom of the fan. Maybe the engineers had a reason to leave the shroud open at the bottom, or maybe it just made the package cheaper or easier to assemble.

Having any shroud is better than no shroud at all. Let us know how it performs with the shroud and the new fan clutch.

Ford Contour electric fans fit the radiator very neatly and are a popular swap. Might be worth a look if you live in a hot area and/or see a lot of traffic congestion or other driving that builds extra heat that the stock setup just can't handle.
      I used the wiring harness from autozone i found (P.N.733647). I junked the stock harness including that resistor thing in the corner of the assembly since the Torqflo relay handles everything. I decided to remove the resistor and mount the relay in its place. and I also put the shroud in upside down from its normal

I completed the install of electric cooling fans on my '88 GW. I started with a dual fan from a '98 Ford Contour - junk yard. I choose the Flex-a-lite 31165 Variable Speed Control Kit - Summit. The install was rather simple. I removed the radiator and fitted the fan to it. All of the brakets I modified from stuff I had in

Is this the right fan for the Ford Contour fan conversion? Thanks http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=365290&jsn=3
      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

Working...
      X