• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PacNW
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 10, 2014

Radio repair

I have an original radio in my '91 GW. Only the right speakers work and it appears it is an internal radio issue. Is anyone aware of an auto radio repair shop that will work on these generation radios? I have found ones that will work on older radios or newer ones.

Thanks,
    Ed
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Yeah, there are quite a few stereo repair shops out there. I have never had mine done but there are quite a few online. if you search "Vintage car radio repair" you will find quite a few. Some considerations:
    a) you will probably have to remove it and ship it somewhere. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, I am sure there are decent stereo shops there in the Seattle area that would be willing to remove your stereo for you for a small fee (and re-install when you get it back).
    b) Most shops WILL do upgrades (add bluetooth, an aux port, etc)
    c) IT IS NOT CHEAP. You will pay more to have your stock stereo fixed than to buy a new one.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

pretty sure xj used same model radio as '86-up got relabeled "jeep" chrysler radios
      likely cheaper to just replace it?
      post up on wanted forum someone probably has one?
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Brynjminjones
        258 I6
        • Jun 11, 2017

There were lots of subtle changes made to the radios throughout the years, even if they look similar.
        This thread goes into a lot of depth on the topic: Comanche Club Radio Thread

Jeremy's Radio Emporium can service and repair them, upgrade them, as well as sell you a replacement. I think it might be the same guy that wrote that post above.

Jeremy's Radio Emporium Link
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
        1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
          This thread goes into a lot of depth on the topic: Comanche Club Radio Thread

Jeremy's Radio Emporium can service and repair them, upgrade them, as well as sell you a replacement. I think it might be the same guy that wrote that post above.

Jeremy's Radio Emporium Link

Impressive, thank you.

As for channel drop out, make sure that it is not the speaker, the speakers are really exposed to the elements and our weatherstrip around the wing window let some dust and water in. Not too sure about the 91 edition, you might be lucky and it is the speaker...

I guess you have swapped sides or speakers...

The last time I opened a radio, the sound would drop out after a minute or 2... on an 86 , I cracked the case open, located the speaker circuit on the board and reflowed what looked like a dry solder... and a little clean up of 33 years of dust... its been working for the last year
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

Just a comment - any radio tech should be able to fix one of these radios. I have fixed many home stereo devices by tracing the signal through, from the antenna, until it stops. Most likely issues are a shorted or open electrolytic capacitor, or an open transistor. If you start replacing a bunch of components, you'll need to align the radio. This requires setting the frequency of the various stages to both collect the most of the signal you want, and exclude those you don't. Sensitivity and selectivity.

Contact your local ham clubs and ask who fixes equipment in your area.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• gkwoodfin
              230 Tornado
              • Aug 15, 2015

Would there be any new updates re: radio options to replace original unit that Jeremy can't fix? Anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Comment

Working...
              X