• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drlocke
    Roadside Mechanic
    • Dec 29, 2003

My Waggy: Well I did it....

Now officially off the road. Had to do it, as I needed a pickup truck to handle cargo that is bulkier and heavier than the Wagoneer can handle, and have decided that I can't afford to keep three vehicles going. I have a 4WD pickup now, and my Honda CRV as my DD. The pickup gets about the same MPG as the Waggy, maybe a little better, and is a 3/4 T truck with an 8 litre engine, so it should have adequate power for my needs. I plan to keep the Wagoneer in the family, as I am handing it over to my little sister, who loves the old thing, and will give it a good home up in northern VT. She probably won't drive it far enough up there for its gas consumption to cause her too much financial injury.

At the risk of going slightly OT here I must say that the fuel economy is the big problem here, and that it appears that oil price speculation will probably continue unabated. Just because of hurricane Isaac's path we are now once again suffering usury at the pumps. Since I cannot change this kind of thing, and I believe that it is wrong for me to ask for them to lower their prices simply because I feel they are too high, I need to change my own ways of doing things to accommodate the market trends.

How are you folks coping with this????
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

My J300 gets better gas mileage than my '97 Buick Riviera
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• austinaubinoe
      360 AMC
      • Aug 08, 2010

Does it have a v10? amazing that the mileage is comparable!

My dads 1959 chevy pickup with a 3spd on the column and the original 230 stovebolt gets better MPG's then any of are other cars!
      Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
      5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
      SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
      -1994 Baby Grand
      -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
      -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
      -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
      i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
      i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• shakari
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 17, 2004

Think yourself lucky.

Here in Portugal we're paying E1.63 per litre & there's about 3.8 litres to 1 US gallon & E1 = US$1.26.

If it gets much more expensive they'll have to give away free tins vaseline so it doesn't hurt us motorists so much when they screw us like this!
        Steve Robinson AKA Shakari

Comment

• Bill J
          232 I6
          • May 25, 2005

Good luck with the new truck, and I am glad it is staying in the family. You had to do what was best for you based on your current situation, you made a good choice. You still have that old Dodge and the skid steer snow shovel?
          1989 Grand Wagoneer, Sold
          1997 Wrangler TJ
          2004 Honda Accord
          2012 Honda Odyssey

?This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.? - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org

Comment

• drlocke
            Roadside Mechanic
            • Dec 29, 2003

The pickup is a 2500 series Dodge, 1994, with a V10. 5spd manual, which is fine with me. It has its share of bugs, which I will eventually work out.

I still have the '53 Dodge, and still have the skid-steer bucket.

Comment

• drlocke
              Roadside Mechanic
              • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by shakari
              Think yourself lucky.

Here in Portugal we're paying E1.63 per litre & there's about 3.8 litres to 1 US gallon & E1 = US$1.26.

If it gets much more expensive they'll have to give away free tins vaseline so it doesn't hurt us motorists so much when they screw us like this!
              Yeah, that's gotta hurt!

Comment

This is why my truck will have to be converted to LPG. Economy goes up (with a higher compression engine, so does power and LPG is 110-130 octane depending on the butane blend) LPG doesn't go bad. I recently finished off a tank my uncle filled 30+ years ago (he's been dead at least that long) and the price usually doesn't go crazy, plus I can get a tank full at home to pump in my truck and not worry too much about fuel thieves. I just need to build a barricade around it to protect from "wayward" bullets.
                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• thing2
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 30, 2010

This is why I daily drive a 64 impala. Gets the same if not better milage as my xj I was dding. Now we won't even mention what the Cherokee gets
                  82 cherokee 360 727 d44 f&r 4.10s spooled an locked, 4"lift 2"body 37s, tbi
                  1964 impala wagon 327,powerglide dd
                  2000 xj r.i.p
                  1999 wj r.i.p

Comment

• WasBlue
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 15, 2011

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
                    My dads 1959 chevy pickup with a 3spd on the column and the original 230 stovebolt gets better MPG's then any of are other cars!
                    Yeah, my '55 with a 265 and 4.10 gears gets almost 18 average compared to 11 for the Wagoneer and 22 for my '93 Sundance Duster.
                    1989 Grand Wagoneer daily driver, now gone.
                    Looking for another.

Comment

Working...
                    X