• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samilitant
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 29, 2010

88 Grand Wag OM617 Mercedes Diesel Build

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']This is going to be a saga of a build as dollars are tight and the to-do list is long, but I thought this forum is the most applicable to the swap. I'll be swapping in a 1984 Mercedes 300D engine into our(wife's car mostly) 1988 Grand Wagoneer. I have a parts car for all the mock-up work, and then will swap the assembly into our driver once running. Other upgrades during swap;

*Electric water pump
    *Intercooler?--top or front mount
    *Electric driven Air Conditioning
    *100+ amp alternator
    *Modified belt drive for 6 or 8 groove serpentine and automatic tensioner
    *May try using stock auto tranny for now...almost free to try, compared with ~$2500 to change whole driveline with adapters.

Maybe more as I go. The stock 360 runs fine and the a/c works, so we're in no huge hurry, but this will be a fun project I look forward to working on all fall and winter, and I'll post pics as I get things done.

[/FONT]
  • hennikerjd
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2010

Cool! I'm interested to see how this works out.
    1979 Cherokee WT 2dr
    360 TH400 QT
    ...slowly catching up on decades of neglect

Comment

• Wayne
      350 Buick
      • Feb 16, 2008

I'll be watching.
      78 Wagoneer 401/T400/bw/44F&R DD 4in lift

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

You think the 300 will have enough poop to move that heavy Wag? I planned a 240 D swap into a CJ8 but both have similar axle gearing and the CJ is about 400 lb lighter than the MB where the Wag will be about 1000 lb heavier with worse gearing?
        Keep us posted on how it works out.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Cherokee Outlaw
          • Jan 10, 2006

Looks like a cool idea but ~120hp and ~170ft/lbs of torque doesnt seem worth it to me...convince me otherwise?
          -Jonny B.
          1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
          7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
          AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
          NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
          F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
          R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Wagoneer - Sold
          1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• shackwrrr
            360 AMC
            • Mar 04, 2006

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Looks like a cool idea but ~120hp and ~170ft/lbs of torque doesnt seem worth it to me...convince me otherwise?
            But, Its a diesel. Add some boost, an intercooler, and some fuel and those numbers will easily be turned into numbers that rival the stock 360 *AND* have good fuel mileage. Plus the coolness factor.
            Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• jaber
              Dragin Az
              • Oct 17, 2003

First off, welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects...

I'm subscribed to watch the turn out...
              Jeff

'43 cj2a
              '51 Willys p/u
              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
              '68 Panel Delivery
              '74 CJ5
              '75 J-20 Wrecker
              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
              '77 J-10 p/u
              '79 Cherokee
              '88 Grand Wagoneer
              '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• bigun
                • Feb 10, 2003

I am curious about what drive lie you were thinking about using that would cost you so much? There is a guy on one of the Diesel site who makes an adapter to put the AX15 behind the MD for under a grand fins a post 1994 AX15 with the external slave cylinder buy a Dana 300 clocking ring and you can run a Dana 300 behind it, if you have a passenger side drop axle.
                charlie
                KB0HXA
                "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                Robert A. Heinlein
                The birth of CROM is recorded here
                http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• samilitant
                  230 Tornado
                  • Aug 29, 2010

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Wow, I didn't expect this much response. I just checked back figuring there wouldn't be any new posts. :O) I've done a bit of research over the last 4 months...at least 40 combined hours, of different drivelines in both principle and real world conditions and watching other people's builds comparing and contrasting, so most of my decisions are based on that research. Sometimes I forget why I chose a certain route, but I have to trust that I thought it through to come to a certain conclusion b/c you can't remember everything! ha ha. Usually I end up going over the same info later anyways.

Responses in some form of order;
                  1; Will the OM617 be enough oomph?
                  From memory; Stock(*new*) Grand wagoneer supposedly puts out about 140hp, 200tq. Without replacing parts or modifying heavily you can easily get that from the OM617. This Wag's 22 year old 360 with built up carbon, worn out t-chain, and 150K miles...probably going to end up even steven even if I don't modify it. Also, diesels don't care much about weight, esp. turbo diesels. I can tell a difference if I double the weight of my van(99 Powerstroke) by pulling a 6000lb. trailer, but just adding 10-20% is no problem.

2; Similar horsepower not worth it? Power isn't much of a factor, it's the family car. As far as why this engine? Several factors; 1-Turbo diesels can run on trans fluid, veggie oil, diesel fuel, spam in a can. Ok, maybe not the spam. Point being--good improvisational vehicle depending on what the political climate digresses to(war?). 2-20+ miles per gallon, hopefully 25 highway--ROAD TRIPS! Saving about $1000 a year on daily driving/trips. 3-Already have a diesel van and tractor(home fuel supply in the future?). 4-Turbo diesels are cool, ok? They just are. 5-They don't break. Case in point--my van has 530,000 miles on it. 6-Simplicity; no computer, few moving parts, no cap/rotor/plugs/wires to get wet/broken, no sensors to fail and leave you stranded, etc. etc.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']3; Shakwrrr--You are correct, sir!

4; Driveline expense; Must be automatic(for my lady)--adapter $1000, 4 speed 700R4 $300(min for a decent one), t-case adapter to NP208J(if I can find one)(driver's drop) $500, or a different t-case then requiring driveshaft and t-case mount/crossmember mods, another $500. Then don't forget the odds and ends--fluids, gaskets, bolts, welding wire, metal, adds up to about $500 on a project like that. So there you go, it just adds up is all. Also I'm not happy with the 30 year old technology of V-groove belts and cast iron everything, so that adds expense no matter what. It'll end up being about $3-4000 even if I'm careful I bet.

Bigun--I will definitely re-check that advice if I decide on this same driveline in my 88 Samurai(waiting for engine/trans choice and time/money).[/FONT]

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                    Cherokee Outlaw
                    • Jan 10, 2006

Been convinced...neato idea
                    -Jonny B.
                    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• bigun
                      • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by samilitant

Bigun--I will definitely re-check that advice if I decide on this same driveline in my 88 Samurai(waiting for engine/trans choice and time/money).[/font]
                      I have been looking into it with the idea of repowering my 67 Commando ok here might be a bit of a problem the MB IIRC likes to live around 2,800 RPM I know from my research that with 31 inch tires i will have to have 4.58 gears to be able to use 5th gear. Of course the neat thing it'll be a heck of a crawler down low.
                      Last edited by bigun; 08-29-2010, 11:15 PM.
                      charlie
                      KB0HXA
                      "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                      congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                      How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                      Robert A. Heinlein
                      The birth of CROM is recorded here
                      http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Wagn Man
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 23, 2009

Believe I'll have to keep an eye on this, Very intriguing
                        78 Chero NT..... nickname "Crash"
                        84 GW 401, Rhino Grille
                        03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD My DD/Tow Rig

Comment

• samilitant
                          230 Tornado
                          • Aug 29, 2010

Originally posted by bigun
                          I have been looking into it with the idea of repowering my 67 Commando ok here might be a bit of a problem the MB IIRC likes to live around 2,800 RPM I know from my research that with 31 inch tires i will have to have 4.58 gears to be able to use 5th gear. Of course the neat thing it'll be a heck of a crawler down low.
                          You never know until you try. I don't actually know the exact numbers yet as far as gearing goes on my project, but I do know diesels in general are very forgiving--a few times I have driven off in my van with the e-brake on...eek.

Comment

• JeepinPete
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 09, 2003

Originally posted by samilitant
                            <snip>
                            4; Driveline expense; Must be automatic(for my lady)--adapter $1000, 4 speed 700R4 $300(min for a decent one), t-case adapter to NP208J(if I can find one)(driver's drop) $500, or a different t-case then requiring driveshaft and t-case mount/crossmember mods, another $500. <snip>
                            Forget using the Jeep 208. You are using a GM tranny, use a GM transfer case. Either a NP208C or NP241C. You should not have to pay more that $100 for either. No adapters required, dirt cheap, just as strong.

As for drive shafts, the rear drive shaft out of a Ford Explorer 2 door will be real close in length for your application. Just add the proper slip yoke for the GM TC. You will have two slip yokes, but it will work fine (did for me for 25k miles). The front from a XJ is a good place to start for the front shaft.
                            Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                            Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                            Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• budojeepr
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                              Forget using the Jeep 208. You are using a GM tranny, use a GM transfer case. Either a NP208C or NP241C. You should not have to pay more that $100 for either. No adapters required, dirt cheap, just as strong.
                              I used the Jeep NP208 tcase for my diesel swap but as part of the rebuild (do it, it's simple) I put in the GM input gear/shaft from the donor. This was because I have a driver's-side punkin on the front axle...
                              Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

Working...
                              X