A bed for the j20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks reasonable, but it's hard to say without seeing underneath it. $500 would be probably double what I'd put down for it, seeing how much work it needs. It needs at least new bed sides, which are available, but not just a slap it on and go deal.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks like a short bed (7') to me. If your J20 is stock, it should be a long bed (8'). Year to year, all the beds are the same from at least ~'74 to the end, but the lengths do vary. Ask the seller to confirm what size that bed is before you put down any money on it.

aa

edit: spelling
    Last edited by Cecil14; 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM.
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• eldudderino
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 18, 2018

I messaged him but it's a business so hopefully they get back to me before Monday. Where else could I find a bed? This is about the only one I've seen.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

keep checking local junk yards, craigslists, etc, one will pop up soon.

Comment

• TexasJ10
          360 AMC
          • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by Cecil14
          It looks reasonable, but it's hard to say without seeing underneath it. $500 would be probably double what I'd put down for it, seeing how much work it needs. It needs at least new bed sides, which are available, but not just a slap it on and go deal.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks like a short bed (7') to me. If your J20 is stock, it should be a long bed (8'). Year to year, all the beds are the same from at least ~'74 to the end, but the lengths do vary. Ask the seller to confirm what size that bed is before you put down any more on it.

aa
          I agree though I probably wouldn?t pay $500 for it. Replacing the bed sides is a lot of work. You almost have to drill out every spot weld on the whole bed. Of course every bed I have ever seen is rusting at the lower rocker level due to the welded seam there. I also agree that the bed looks like it is too short for a j20
          * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
          * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
          . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
          * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

Decent beds, and even not so decent beds, are really starting to get hard to find. There aren't a lot of these trucks in junk yards anymore, as most people have crushed them. There are a few Jeep specific yards left: Tanker's (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184252), J&W (http://www.jwjeep.com/), and I think there's one up in Montana or thereabouts as well. They may have what you're looking for, but you'd probably have to go get it. Shipping something like a bed would probably get insanely expensive. The bed itself may not be cheap either, some of those places are pretty proud of what they have.

The other options is, as said, just keep looking around. Hit the classifieds here and at fsjnetwork.com, keep an eye on craigslist and any local classifieds, hit up local 4x4 forums, etc. You need to decide how much work/money you want to put into whatever you find as well. If you're willing to rebuild a bed completely, you can start with a much cheaper shell. If you'd like something you can bolt on and run with, it's going to cost you considerably more.

aa
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

I'm with the others that's a short box from a J-10. The difference in box lengths is between the wheelwell and the front bulkhead.The J-10's came in a short and long wheelbase version where all J-20's are long wheelbase. Unless you really really want a short box IMHO it ain't worth the frame chop/modification to make it fit. Plus the costs of rust repair/paint, taillights, bumper, drive shaft mod and the crazy cost of of a good tailgate w/hdw you'll have one very expensive box! If'n were me I'd spent the money on a clean complete longbox from out west and just pay the shipping costs.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                232 I6
                • Jun 18, 2018

If it's on eBay, message the seller with an offer.

I've done that several times with good results.

Even on new stuff!

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

I'd only buy it if I needed the flares and were planning to fix a bed I have. As stated above, it's a 7' (short) bed. Some export J20s had short beds, but none for domestic sale.

Looks to me like it has bed seam rust pretty bad. Appears that it has a big rectangular hole cut out of the right side for access to the bed seam rust. I have one that's much better than that sitting in my back yard that I bought for $100 (I have plans for it).

Not many of these trucks were made, compared to Fords and Chevys. I'd keep looking. The Montana place is Montana Overland. http://montanaoverland.com/ Jake's is definitely closer to you. Give them a call and see what they have. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184252
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                  Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                  Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                  GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                  ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                  X